Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Successors 3d PBEM. Time to sheeet or de-pot....

More
14 Dec 2010 08:51 #82020 by dan daly
I am interested. I downloaded the game rules from GMT this morning, I'll have to download the vassal module, figure out how to use vassal, figure out what the heck ACTs is and how to use it, and read the rules. So I think we can start immediately. I can go last, and you can all kill me before it gets to my turn :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2010 19:05 #82431 by Dogmatix
Bumping this up. Do we have 4? If so, do all 4 have ACTS accounts? If so, let me know what your ACTS names are and I'll get the game set-up. I'm not rushing anyone to get started, but there's a bunch of misc crap involved in the set-up and I can go ahead and get that out of the way so folks can dick around with the vassal module and acts and generally get familiar with how things work. After folks get comfortable, we can kick off the game.

If you don't have an ACTS account, go here and get yourself one: acts.warhorsesim.com/index.asp

Also, after I go track it down, I'll post a link here to the most current vassal module so we're all using the same thing. Successors 3rd is one of the few games I've encountered so far where problems crop up if folks are using different versions of the module.

More
20 Dec 2010 05:28 #82458 by southernman
I've registered on ACTS as tomh (Tom Hazlett).

I see there is a 'Living Rules' edition now, Oct1020 the latest I have seen - is this right? A bit of a nuisance as I had printed off a previous version that was titled 'Final'. Are there any major changes I should look out for in the BLUE text of teh Living Rules ?

I have been caught up with job hunting, school holiday childcare, and general life stuff so have still not read the rules through yet. A start well after Christmas would be appreciated.

Also can Justin or Simon make a post of bullet points of the game flow of how it works with and changes between the Vassal module and the ACTS system, what bits are done in which system and how it is recorded - for example where are the cards drawn, where are they stored, where is the dice rolled ... all good noobie questions.

More
20 Dec 2010 11:14 - 20 Dec 2010 11:15 #82479 by Not Sure
Southernman wrote:

Also can Justin or Simon make a post of bullet points of the game flow of how it works with and changes between the Vassal module and the ACTS system, what bits are done in which system and how it is recorded - for example where are the cards drawn, where are they stored, where is the dice rolled ... all good noobie questions.

I can probably do that:

Cards: All dealt and played in ACTS. There are rare exceptions.
Dice: Rolled in ACTS. No exceptions, just be careful to set the number of dice, usually 1 or 4.

VP: Vassal auto-tracks this, but update it in ACTS at the end of your turn.
Legitimacy: Same deal.
Champion Status: Set this in Vassal (because it affects Legitimacy count), then copy it to ACTS.

Basic phases:

1. Surrender. This is when you get to place markers, you also get a free siege attempt on any resisters you're parked on.
2. Tyche. This is when you play cards. The big step. Cards can be used for:
* Events, obviously. Some events are also event+ops.
* Movement. You can force-move one army a number of ops equal to the card. (then you can move them again in 3.)
* Control Markers. Place a number of control markers equal to the ops on uncontrolled spaces adjacent to your existing control markers. This is most of the early game.
3. Movement. You roll a die, compare it to the speed rating on your generals, they move 2-4 spaces. You can also use movement ops to siege cities, remove enemy markers, and place markers.
* Any battles, interceptions, or naval battles get handled along the way. This is where you'll pause a lot in PBEM for the other players.
4. Forage. If you're overstacked, you lose a unit.

You run through this stuff five times, then you start a new turn. There are some inter-turn phases like Reinforcements and Isolation, but you spend the vast majority of the game in the sequence I laid out above.

Some of the exceptions to the card play in ACTS I mentioned above are the replacement Generals if one gets killed, or some cards need to be "played" in Vassal to create the tokens that go with them, and that means you might be digging in the deck to find one of those, then drop it on the discard pile . Otherwise, ignore the Vassal deck.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2010 11:15 by Not Sure.

More
20 Dec 2010 16:16 #82532 by dan daly
I'll bow out and give my spot to someone else who is interested. Real life just got a bit busier for me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds