Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Phantom Leader PBF

More
29 Apr 2010 19:47 #61441 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:Phantom Leader PBF
Why don't you come in on it, too, Gary?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2010 07:04 #61477 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Phantom Leader PBF
I'll be ready after the weekend.

More
04 May 2010 01:35 #61738 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:Phantom Leader PBF
Just bumping this up so I remember where to look.

Matt, since I'm not the forum rat I used to be. When you're ready to go, if I appear unresponsive, just shoot me an email at the address you have from any of the various ACTS games we've been in together :)

More
04 May 2010 04:56 #61742 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re:Phantom Leader PBF
Okay, and we're ready to roll.

Since no-one objects we'll do USN Rolling Thunder. Our campaign map is here:
cid-0fab1e236bcb7de7.skydrive.live.com/s...Public/PL-usn-rt.jpg

It's four missions long so we'll have to be striking those high-value targets early - although if things move swiftly we can make a joint decision on extending the campaign, or if you prefer we can do the historical thing and move on to Linebacker, the next campaign.

Anyway, we need to choose some pilots. I've attached a pilot roster to this post. Remember to pick pilots from the right-hand USN column. I'm going to take the weakest two pilots, a green and a newbie and I'm going to pick Midas and Batdog.

For the rest of you, the high roller is Bullwinkle. He gets to pick 1 green and 1 skilled pilot. Dogmatix and Simon you get two average picks each.

Once you've chosen, post them here and I'll deal us our initial mission picks.

More
04 May 2010 06:46 #61744 by Schweig!
I pick:
- Easy Money (EA-6A): C0, -/+2, fast
- Taxi (A-7): C1, +0/+2, fast

I took stats from this file: www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/5f2x..._Aircraft_Roster.pdf I hope everything is all right.

If nobody picks a good AtA pilot I would choose Knife instead of Taxi.

More
04 May 2010 06:52 #61745 by Bullwinkle
MattDP wrote:

For the rest of you, the high roller is Bullwinkle.

How true that is. I'm currently laid out in my suite at the Mirage, sipping Camus Jubilee off a showgirl. Pro tip: avoid naked flames.

Okay...the USN has somewhat of a limited roster of Phantoms. One the other hand, they have good ground attack capability. I'm going to take the versatile Showtime and the ground-pounding Driver.

If I might recommend, I'd suggest one of you take Buick. We'll need at least one fast pilot. Depending on plans, if someone takes Poco, it might be worthwhile to spend those 2 free SO points from Midas on an early promotion for Poco to make him fast, too, especially with his good AtA skills.

Matt, can you give us the full stats for our pilots (i.e. stress levels and changed attributes, etc.)?

More
04 May 2010 06:57 #61746 by Schweig!
I considered Buick, but from the file I got Taxi is better or equal in all regards. (Which is kind of strange, so I'm wondering whether those stats are correct.)

More
04 May 2010 07:13 #61749 by Bullwinkle
Schweig! wrote:

I considered Buick, but from the file I got Taxi is better or equal in all regards. (Which is kind of strange, so I'm wondering whether those stats are correct.)

There are other considerations that the file doesn't list; namely, the amount of stress the pilot can handle before becoming stressed/unfit, and the amount of experience needed for promotion. Both of those will affect the value of the pilot. Also, Taxi can't promote past Average.

The other thing is that the F-4 is better at AtA (they can carry Sparrows) and probably more versatile overall. Taxi's a great choice, though, it gives us good fast AtG for any sites we need first strike capability on, and his 1 Cool will help keep him running longer. I'm actually kind of worried about stress overall, since the USN Phantoms mostly have low Cool. That's going to be a big factor if we extend the campaign.

We're pretty heavy on AtG now. Dog, if it's okay, you should probably look at mostly AtA. A promoted Poco is looking really good right about now. If you don't want him and Buick, then we should consider promoting Showtime. We need fast AtA.

More
04 May 2010 07:22 #61750 by Matt Thrower
Cool is actually included in the roster if you look - it's a bit busy and confusing but it is there. Experience isn't.

I picked a pilot who isn't in a phantom which gives us a few more SO points to spend so if we feel we need to promote someone off the bat, the points are there to do it. Obviously it'd be a good idea to promote someone with a high experience requirement - and I suspect Showtime will fit that particular bill.

I'll try and scan the chosen cards and upload them once everyone has picked.

More
04 May 2010 07:26 - 04 May 2010 08:17 #61752 by Schweig!
Edit: For now I'll only reserve Easy Money and see what pilots Dogmatix picks. I'm still inclined to take Taxi but would pick someone else if needed be.
Last edit: 04 May 2010 08:17 by Schweig!.

More
04 May 2010 10:37 #61783 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Phantom Leader PBF
Looking forward to seeing you guys play this out.

More
04 May 2010 10:52 #61786 by Bullwinkle
Matt, what's the amount of experience Poco needs to get promoted?

More
04 May 2010 16:32 #61826 by Matt Thrower
Bullwinkle wrote:

Matt, what's the amount of experience Poco needs to get promoted?

Poco needs 6 experience to get his promotion. I may have to re-pick my choices as it seems there's at least one mistake on that reference sheet: my card for Batdog says he's average, not green. I thought he looked a bit too good to be true :) So I can take an AtA pick instead, athough none of the pilots at that skill level are much use.

More
04 May 2010 16:37 #61830 by Schweig!
I don't really trust that sheet either, for example there are a lot of pilots "losing their cool" when promoted.

More
04 May 2010 16:45 #61832 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Phantom Leader PBF
Does the game take into account that the Sparrows were rarely used in Vietnam? The leadership wanted visual confirmation before they could shoot down a plane. Visual range was typically below the minimum range for a Sparrow.

Phantoms are nice...but my favorite ground attack plane from Vietnam is the Intruder.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds