Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Memoir' 44 online Days of Wonder

More
30 Nov 2010 01:32 #80728 by ozjesting
www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/download/

Anybody playing this? I have had a few solo games and it looks pretty sweet. Not a lot of action in the forum when I have been there...but that will hopefully grow if it gets an uptake. I can see the paying for extra things in games to be a sticking point, but right now it is free gold! I would suggest you have a look if you are into this game.

(I hesitate to mention it to you Southernman as I can see no way to use your own dice) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2010 06:44 #80736 by southernman
ozjesting wrote:

Anybody playing this? I have had a few solo games and it looks pretty sweet. Not a lot of action in the forum when I have been there...but that will hopefully grow if it gets an uptake. I can see the paying for extra things in games to be a sticking point, but right now it is free gold! I would suggest you have a look if you are into this game.

(I hesitate to mention it to you Southernman as I can see no way to use your own dice) :)

Well since I have a lot of free time on my hands now I may as well have a look. I am so used to my crap Vassal dice rolls (I actually predict and laugh at them in our Arkham game) that I doubt it could annoy me worse.

More
30 Nov 2010 07:25 #80737 by stormseeker75
My free time is far and few between anymore, but I always did enjoy Memoir so this should be fun.

More
30 Nov 2010 07:27 #80738 by mads b.
Great news! Memoir is a cool game and something you can easily squeeze in. In a timeslot, not in a body cavity, I presume.

It runs a bit slow on my netbook, but I finally managed to run it on my PC. Apparantly it conflicts a bit with NVIDIA cards, but a solution can be found here: http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=20580&start=0

And my username is madsbrynnum in case somebody wants to get a beating.

More
30 Nov 2010 08:54 - 30 Nov 2010 09:21 #80747 by Sagrilarus
100MB folks.

Wow. As usual, Days of Wonder does it in grand style. I'm on 1920x1200 on XP and it full-screens beautifully while still working with the rest of my windows.

Haven't figured out how to buddy someone yet or if I'm even showing up in the lobby (don't know if you can see yourself) but if the play is even half as plush as the presentation this is a nice use of your time.

S.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2010 09:21 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Dec 2010 22:26 - 01 Dec 2010 22:39 #80948 by Sagrilarus
I just played a couple of games of this tonight and it is very nice. Well worth your time to install and at least try a couple of solo games.

I could see myself dropping a few bucks on this if I had buddies playing as well.

S.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2010 22:39 by Sagrilarus.

More
02 Dec 2010 04:21 #80958 by mads b.
I played, I think, seven games against real opponents yesterday. It moves fast, people seem to play well, and I'm definitely gonna spend a few bucks when my first free game cash run out.

More
02 Dec 2010 08:13 #80962 by Sagrilarus
As I was thinking about it this morning I think the weakest part of the package may Memoir itself. Not the deepest wargame you'll stumble across. But considering you have to fit inside a computer screen it's probably the best choice. The interface worked perfectly and their information display is very well conceived. I had broken dice though -- they kept rolling against me.

If anyone sees me on it ring me up for a game.

S.

More
02 Dec 2010 08:42 #80969 by Josh Look
Yeah, not bad at all. As Sag said, Memoir itself might be the weakest point. I kept wishing it was C&C:A. Oh well, it's good fun.

More
02 Dec 2010 08:54 #80971 by southernman
Southernman wrote:

ozjesting wrote:

Well since I have a lot of free time on my hands now I may as well have a look. I am so used to my crap Vassal dice rolls (I actually predict and laugh at them in our Arkham game) that I doubt it could annoy me worse.

I was wrong - just had a Solo game and I am absolutely spewing with the dice rolls, some how Vassal has let its AI cousin know who I am. Examples; close assault (+1) with my armour against infantry gave me 4 stars, surround an enemy armour unit with nine dice attack and get 2 hits. And the AI just slaughtered me with its dice .... I just have to face it, computer dice have got it in for me !!!

I don't mind it too much in games like Arkham Horror, where you get modifiers and bad results usually aren't too deadly, but in a luck-fest like Memoir (and I love the game) it can just suck most of the fun of playing out of the game.

More
02 Dec 2010 12:10 #80989 by Dogmatix
I'm trying to understand the model here. Do I have to keep buying "gold ingots" to play the game solo? I presume that the $60 package with 2400 GI gets me 1200 plays (and a $30 DOW coupon, which I'd use to pick up Winter Wars), which should be more than enough in the long run; it's just that having to keep buying a game kind of bugs me at a visceral level.

Fun game though...

More
02 Dec 2010 12:22 #80990 by Sagrilarus
I'm actually preferring it at the moment because it's costing me nothing and I may very well be done with it before I spend the amount it would cost me to buy the physical game.

Heavy players will pay more, but I suppose that's fair. Folks are looking for a $1.99 iPhone app with networked play and AI and I think that's pretty unreasonable.

If it was fixed price for a year, what would you be willing to pay?

S.

More
02 Dec 2010 13:45 #81013 by Dogmatix
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm actually preferring it at the moment because it's costing me nothing and I may very well be done with it before I spend the amount it would cost me to buy the physical game.

Heavy players will pay more, but I suppose that's fair. Folks are looking for a $1.99 iPhone app with networked play and AI and I think that's pretty unreasonable.

If it was fixed price for a year, what would you be willing to pay?

S.

Honestly? The same $50 I'm willing to pay for most videogames--christ knows I'd get more miles out of this than most digital games I buy. I'm very close now to coughing up that $60 up for the "Gigantor package" that gives you the $30 coupon for the DOW store. I just want to pay it once. If you've got future DLC, fine. I'll make a decision as it comes. But I despise the nickle-n-dime-to-death pricing model.

I should also say that neither do I want to be the guy whose $60 payment every year is essentially solely to subsidize an unrealistic $3 price for an iPhone app because I'm one of the last humans who thinks a phone should only be a telecommunications device. (And, yes, get off my lawn you meddling kids.)

Same goes for the Twilight Struggle and Labyrinth games forthcoming, particularly now that GMT has reaffirmed their PBEM support. I'd pay "market price" for a proper PC app.

More
02 Dec 2010 14:24 - 02 Dec 2010 14:27 #81015 by Sagrilarus
Days of Wonder would be ecstatic to get even half of that out of everyone that plays. I could see myself spending $25 over a period of a few years if I can find players I know online. I'd just as soon wait to pay in case my priorities change.

I used to participate in Days of Wonder's subscription system when Queen's Necklace and Gang of Four opponents were available. It worked the opposite way back then -- a physical purchase gave you online coupons instead of the other way around.

$60 with a $30 coupon is a heck of a deal if you have a DoW title already picked out (though that's $30 off full retail) because you essentially get all the Memoir you're ever going to really want to play for that $60. That's about 240 deluxe games, 600 base games.

There's a thread on BGG's Memoir page where a guy's complaining about the pricing scheme as "unfair" but indicates that he'd pay "any price to have it on the iPad." He adds "within reason" in parens afterwards because I think he realized just how absurd he sounded. This is a ridiculous price on the PC, but I'd pay ANYTHING to get it on this other platform.

It's kind of remarkable to see what other people find value in.

S.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2010 14:27 by Sagrilarus.

More
02 Dec 2010 14:33 #81016 by Sagrilarus
One last thing and it's likely no one will give a damn about this except me, but God bless them for naming the process "Memoir44 Online.exe" on the system stack instead of the usual cryptic set of letters that no one can figure out.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds