Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Memoir' 44 online Days of Wonder

More
09 Dec 2010 14:21 #81612 by Jason Lutes
Sagrilarus wrote:

For those already registered, Days of Wonder has released a new version with a flatter price structure. They've also given out 30 additional gold to play with.

They appear to have cleaned up a bit of usability issues as well, including showing your current gold on the main screen which seemed like a pretty glaring oversight in the prior version.

S.

Yeah, I got that email about the price changes. It's really great that they're listening to their customer base, and I'm a little closer to throwing some money down now. I will definitely do it down the road if they release an online version of the campaign game. With these sorts of games I always crave a larger context/sense of progression.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2010 15:12 #81620 by Sagrilarus
You might consider signing on now just to pick up the free gold. 100 bricks buys 25-50 games right now, even if you play them later.

S.

More
09 Dec 2010 16:00 #81627 by Matt Thrower
Out of curiosity, what expansions does the beta support?

More
09 Dec 2010 16:10 #81628 by Sagrilarus
I'm not an expert, but I think it's just the base game.

S.

More
09 Dec 2010 22:06 - 09 Dec 2010 22:08 #81686 by Dogmatix
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm not an expert, but I think it's just the base game.

S.

Yea, for the moment, it's base game. However, "expert mode" will give you access at least to Eastern Front and Pacific scenarios (hooks are already in the game for those) as well as "fan made scenarios, Breakthru maps," and others. I would presume that the Air Pack will be included in that since the Expert Mode icon is actually the Air Pack box illustration, but who knows... I believe "expert mode" is available with any of the Mem44 online packages you can buy in the DOW store. (I know mine was "unlocked" when I bought the $60 "get $30 free from the DOW store" package but it still has no content, so it matters not at this point.)

Also, I'm compelled to apologize to DOW for whining earlier without reading further. There is a real deal scenario editor that will interface with the game in the pipleline. It will be part of the paid "Expert Mode."

Also, I'm glad to hear they did away with the nickel-&-dime model. With the Gold Ingot model, you're still essentially pumping quarters into your own computer to play, but this feels somewhat less excessive in its exploitation. (Yea, I still hate it, but I will pay to be an early adopter simply to continue to encourage development. This is a VERY nice product and I'd like to see them "finish" it with the rest of the expansions and editor before shutting it down. I'm sure that, should development end for one reason or another, a hack/patch to fool the "ingot checker" will bubble up eventually. (Speaking of hacked/patched versions of decent boardgame videogames, if anyone needs the "fully functional" version of Knizia's Samurai [the "Rice/Monk/Samurai" area control game, not the Wallenstein re-theme], drop me a line. This version gives you all 4 players and all the play modes. It's also hard as a motherfucker to beat.])
Last edit: 09 Dec 2010 22:08 by Dogmatix.

More
11 Dec 2010 16:37 #81843 by Jason Lutes
Has anyone got the new beta patch to apply? The auto-installer crashes for me every time.

More
11 Dec 2010 17:46 #81844 by Dogmatix
Jason Lutes wrote:

Has anyone got the new beta patch to apply? The auto-installer crashes for me every time.

Yea, it worked for me.

More
13 Dec 2010 08:40 #81913 by ozjesting
My system wont do auto install either for some reason. So I just have to DL the whole thing again. A 5 min drag...but easier than rooting around trying to figure it out. And as all info is on the DoW site you don't lose anything.

Good fun!

More
17 Dec 2010 21:14 #82316 by Sagrilarus
I'm looking for someone to play against. Who's up for it?

S.

More
17 Dec 2010 23:10 #82318 by Dogmatix
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm looking for someone to play against. Who's up for it?

S.

You online now? I'm game... I stink at this game but always happy to help someone else's rankings :)

More
18 Dec 2010 00:30 - 18 Dec 2010 04:46 #82320 by Dogmatix
Ok, so I was playing and in the middle of a game, the buttons stopped working. I can click on them and they'll highlight but the action doesn't actually happen. This ever happen to anyone else? I can now launch it but I have to force quit because the quit button doesn't work.... It highlights but it doesn't actually complete the quit action.

Any clues?
Last edit: 18 Dec 2010 04:46 by Dogmatix.

More
18 Dec 2010 00:31 - 18 Dec 2010 04:48 #82321 by Dogmatix
Well, fixed it somehow--either it's a firewall exception that somehow broke or something with the way DOW's servers communicate hosed Java in an ugly way.

Managed to get my first win against another human being too. (Obviously, my opponent was very tired since it was 0430 and he had already completely smoked me in our first game...)
Last edit: 18 Dec 2010 04:48 by Dogmatix.

More
18 Dec 2010 07:42 #82328 by Sagrilarus
I had the same thing happen with my start button last night. I had to restart a couple of games before it would respond.

AND I got my first win against a human as well. I had one in the bag earlier and ran into a dice malfunction second to none. Last night I got off to a great start and only needed to frag one more unit. Then my cards went dry and my dice didn't help and for a second I thought I was going to blow it again, but the dice came back for one last round and that was what it took. Still a Cadet, but I've popped the cherry.

The interface is excellent (when the buttons work) but I'll be curious to see how well it scales up when you put a second board on it. Pan and zoom is ugly with wargames. Now that I'm starting to get the hang of the line-of-sight display and a few of the rules I'm much more comfortable with it.

S.

More
18 Dec 2010 13:07 #82345 by Dogmatix
Cool Sag. :)

Unsurprisingly, my online handle at DOW is dogmatix. Feel free to ping me for a game if I'm on. (Still haven't quite figured out how to send an invite yet--should really RTFM I guess....)

More
18 Dec 2010 13:54 #82347 by mads b.
I'm probably in an entirely different timezone, but I'm madsbrynnum at DOW and have been playing a lot. It's a very good game and I hope it'll be expanded with some Eastern front scenarios soon.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds