Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Twilight Struggle on Vassal anyone:?

More
14 Jan 2011 11:18 #84619 by ozjesting
I just was taught this game tonight...and now want to play it again! I see there is a new module out for deluxe TS, so assume that is the go.

Anyone want to have a go? Esp someone who is across both the game and mod so as to walk me thru any firet time mistakes! ;)

Trashmail me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2011 11:21 #84621 by Black Barney
not to hijack, but could you tell me what the new module changes exactly? I'm very familiar with the original TS and often think of upgrading to deluxe.

oh, and is TS still #1 on BGG? I was so impressed and happy when I saw that even though it's fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

More
14 Jan 2011 11:38 #84622 by jeb
Someone can take me through it too, that would be great. oz, you and I would get into a lot of rookie staredowns I'm pretty sure.

It was #2 last night, Barney. I, too, was impressed to see it as number 1.

More
14 Jan 2011 11:46 #84625 by Black Barney
Normally I'd be up for playing with others but my wife is getting so close to being able to beat me that it's important I don't play against good players cuz it'll make me a better player and then I'll totally wreck my wife. Like right now, I'm really below-average in terms of player skill (even tho I've never lost, I know I do not play optimally). For instance, I never ever coup Italy or Iran in the first turn and that seems standard I think.

Also I seem (as the U.S. player) to have a real hard-on for Turkey over Greece even though Greece is more important.

Lately, we've really been waring over Afganishtan tho which is really fun and I think representative of higher-level play.

She also loves getting her hands on Mexico after Cuba and lately seems to be really driven for installing a communist base in Canada which is always funny and fun.

More
14 Jan 2011 11:46 - 14 Jan 2011 11:53 #84626 by southernman
I've just received a copy of this too, I've played it before - a long time back - and will be keen to try it out on Vassal but not right now as I'm all over the place now with shit so I'll look for games at a later time.

Barney - hijack another thread I'll be over to kick yer ass !

Oz - will I risk those Vassal dice again :-)
Last edit: 14 Jan 2011 11:53 by southernman.

More
14 Jan 2011 11:48 #84627 by Ken B.
jeb wrote:

Someone can take me through it too, that would be great. oz, you and I would get into a lot of rookie staredowns I'm pretty sure.

It was #2 last night, Barney. I, too, was impressed to see it as number 1.

Yeah...as soon as it hit #1, suddenly a whooooole lotta people decided they thought it was broken and deserved a rating of '1' (their ratings are dated, and from some comments, you can tell they hated it so much they had never played the damned game.)

Even some howls about how they "just couldn't see" this as being the "type" of game that "deserved" the #1 spot.

Fuck 'em up their stupid asses. TS is a great game. I was tremendously pleased to see it rise to the top, and then of course the typical asshole pantie-wad brigade took up up arms against it.

More
14 Jan 2011 11:52 #84629 by Black Barney
I'm proud of myself for basically ignoring BGG after I saw it hit number one. i was super happy and didn't want to become angered by what I knew was going to come.

WHERE ARE THE CUBES?!?!? ARE THOSE DICE?! CHITS ARE SHITS. DO NOT WANT 1/10

More
14 Jan 2011 11:58 #84631 by Space Ghost
The Deluxe Version adds some more cards to the mix --- most of them are pretty cool and help address some of the initial imbalance between the USSR and the US; not all of it though. In playtesting, we weakened a couple of the US cards because they were just too powerful. Overall, I recommend it over the "base" game.

I haven't played on Vassal, only ACTS. Right now, I am in a game with Dr. Mabuse --- if anyone wants to give it a whirl on ACTS (looking at Jeb), let me know, I am always glad to play.

More
14 Jan 2011 12:02 #84633 by Black Barney
Which US cards, in your opinion, are too powerful?

I have a hard on for VOICE OF AMERICA

More
14 Jan 2011 12:14 #84634 by Space Ghost
Currently, I don't think that any card is too powerful for either side. Multiple Red Scares can really put a hurt on the US in the early war.

Best US Cards:

Grain Sales -- If the USSR gets this, it can be a real pain to deal with, especially in late war
Voice of America
Ussuri Skirmish -- takes a little skill to get it used most effectively, but just use it with Nixon and it can be quite effective
Ask Not What you Can Do -- I often will hold this one until I get a handful of USSR crap

New US Cards that are Good:

NORAD -- this can be a real pain in the ass to stop if you are the USSR
Our Man in Tehran -- A good deck manipulation card

More
14 Jan 2011 13:37 - 14 Jan 2011 13:45 #84646 by southernman
Space Ghost wrote:

I haven't played on Vassal, only ACTS. Right now, I am in a game with Dr. Mabuse --- if anyone wants to give it a whirl on ACTS (looking at Jeb), let me know, I am always glad to play.

I should give you a game or two when I get my shit together since I NOW have a copy - but it sounds like you know quite a bit on this game (especially with your name in the playtesters list on the back of the rules :-) ) and will have me beat in a couple of rounds, so I better get some a lot of practice in.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2011 13:45 by southernman.

More
14 Jan 2011 13:52 #84652 by Black Barney
What does Grain Sales do again?

And would you mind giving me a quick explanation of your Usuri/Nixon tactics. Those cards never stuck me as of much consequence. I am probably using them wrong.

More
14 Jan 2011 15:37 #84672 by Space Ghost
Grain Sales lets you randomly choose a card from the USSRs hand and then keep it or play it. Problem is, if the USSR plays this card, the US event triggers which lets the US coup a country...it is terribly difficult to deal with in the late game because Defcon is usually at 2. Becomes worse if CIA and what not are still in the deck.

For Ussuri/Nixon, if you don't have the China card, just use Nixon to get it or let the USSR use it to give it to you --- there are usually more deadly cards that they will try to mitigate so Nixon sees a lot of play. Then, play Ussuri as an event and break into N. Korea or other USSR controlled battlegrounds in Asia (similarly, keeping the China card will force the USSR to deal with Ussuri if they draw it). This is an especially good thing to do on the last turn in a round as the US because the USSR either has to work on taking Asia back on Turn 1 of the next round and forego their coup attempt or let you, as the US, get a coup in (or take control in Asia).

A subtle early game strategy as the US is to take South Korea as early as possible -- even before Korean War is played; granted, there is a 33% chance you will lose if all you have is South Korea, but stopping the spread of the USSR in Asia is critical. It is almost a given that the USSR is going to run rampant over the Middle East and a lot of Europe. The US can hold out for a bit if they can get a foothold in Asia. Then, when things get to Mid-War things begin to get much easier for the US.

More
14 Jan 2011 16:08 #84687 by Black Barney
Cool stuff! Thanks for the notes.

We're must be playing some pretty low-level TS cuz our Defcon is ALWAYS at 4 or 5. Last game, which was our closest one ever. Defcon was more at 2 and 3. Maybe we're getting more competitive.

My U.S. strategy is to take taiwan as early as possible and then grab S.Korea as soon as Korean War is played. Having Taiwan is fun for stuff like Foremosean Rev, etc.

As the U.S. played, in early war, I grab Iran, lebanon, Syria and sometimes Jordan. In mid-war I give up on the middle east for the rest of the game pretty much until Camp David is played and then I grab Israel for presence and that's it. Middle East is a totally write off.

Asia is SO tough for the U.S. in early/mid. Stupid Vietnam Revolts. I grab Taiwan and Afghanistan immediately and then wait for Korean War or Vietnam Revolts before I go for more.

Europe is such a pain and I find I'm having more and more trouble keeping my wife out of Italy and France. She's been even grabbing Spain from me recently. GAH

More
14 Jan 2011 19:06 #84734 by ozjesting
My Secret Satan gave me this game...anbd coupled with the it hitting #1 made me think I had better at least have a look. Last night a mate taught me how to play.

The conversation of strategy and such here is WAY advanced on my original propisition ;)

The VASSAL mod is just recently uggraded to 3.06a...which to me only means it is getting better. It uses the "deluxe" rules and cards.

But that is all I know.

What I am asking of someone wants to have a game ;) After that I am sure I can join in the what cards worked for me discussion. Right now I just want to learn how to move shit around on the VASSAL board and write some log jokes ;)

So I ask again...anyone want to play? I'm even happy to exchange WTF? files with you Jeb if you want to learn it together.

I know the rules...and I am pretty decent with VASSAL from playing Memoir44...and I have most days free which mean I take turnss pretty regular except weekends.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.478 seconds