October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

How Did You Learn to Play D&D?

More
26 Oct 2017 23:13 #256449 by metalface13
My first game was probably '86 or '87, my parents were out for the night so my brother ran us younger two through an adventure. I thought it was the most dramatic and amazing thing ever. I had an elf character creatively named "Delf." It kind of blew my mind. I was probably in 1st grade, but it could have been kindergarten. I don't know what edition it was, but I do remember having the Monster Manual and Fiend Folio around and flipping through them a lot. I was a little obsessed with all the different colors of dragons. Later in 5th grade I met a kid who played D&D and he DM'd me through some monstrous campaign that we didn't get very far through. That was definitely AD&D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2017 13:16 #256457 by Pat II
Summer of '81 my brother and I went to spend a couple of weeks at my uncle's place. He introduced us to the red box and we played many nights and a whole weekend. It was so much fun and i had just bought He-Man and Skelator figures before going and was stoked on fantasy. I continued to play with my brother and our friends often over the next 5 years (AD & D) then switched to CoC for the next few years, and some GURPS before abandoning everything for 40k.

More
27 Oct 2017 16:04 #256467 by Black Barney
Anyone remember the first time they saw a Succubus in the Monster Manual?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys

More
27 Oct 2017 16:44 #256471 by Jackwraith
Taught myself. My parents bought me the Basic set for my birthday in 1981 and I read through it and ran Keep on the Borderlands with my sister and my mother. I was headed to school out of state in the fall and took it with me. When I got there, I found a bunch of people already had AD&D stuff, so I moved on to that immediately. Haven't played in over 20 years, though.

More
27 Oct 2017 17:14 #256473 by Shellhead

Jackwraith wrote: Taught myself. My parents bought me the Basic set for my birthday in 1981 and I read through it and ran Keep on the Borderlands with my sister and my mother. I was headed to school out of state in the fall and took it with me. When I got there, I found a bunch of people already had AD&D stuff, so I moved on to that immediately. Haven't played in over 20 years, though.

I had been playing AD&D for a couple of years before that red box Basic set came out, but I was very impressed with the presentation of that set. It seemed like the most accessible version of the game ever published, aside from maybe 5th edition.

More
27 Oct 2017 21:31 #256477 by stoic

More
28 Oct 2017 02:10 #256484 by __
Replied by __ on topic How Did You Learn to Play D&D?
I guess introduced to it by some friend at school, and was instantly hooked, but like many I am sure I spent the majority of my time just flicking through the books, and making characters than playing. I also recognise being forced to DM (just to get a game played) and missing out on the experience of actually being a player (In those days I guess we all played Fighting Fantasy which you could at least do on your own). I used to make maps and scenarios and sketch the monster manual stuff for fun, I even painted minis once (and my god I remember using Humbrol thick as ass model plane paint and a huge brush so those metal minis (early GW) just looked like a 3 year old had painted them haha, this is despite me having something called The Citadel Compendium I guess which had all these painting articles, way beyond my budget and maturity).

I was one of those weirdos that was thrilled to read the example playthrough in the Dungeon Masters guide (AD&D 1e or 2e, the one with the dude in robes opening the doors), and being really sad when the example ended, haha, I guess playing vicariously

I had the Ravenloft module and the Greyhawk box but mostly we would turn up, roll up characters do some half ass mission and pack away, its still a latent fantasy that one day I would have friends nice enough to hang out with and nerdy enough to play a RPG (and one of them being the GM). Close to 50 years old, its not going to happen, still with youngish kids at home. Maybe they will be my salvation, though I guess its OK if I get to be the gM in that case. Its a lot of work to create something great (not for kids though, I guess they will love any old nonsense)

A highlight memory was a year when we had it particularly rough (we were always pretty strapped for cash so it became a running joke that it would be a "poor christmas", I picked out some of the AD&D books, the PHB, DMG, MM, and thats pretty much all I got from my parents, my mum was really sad and ashamed that they couldnt afford anything else but I kept telling them it was the best present I ever had, and I was not lying. I spent so much time poring through those books, and even if ultimately I never "played" D&D very much at all actually, I lived that world and those books (eventually getting Fiend Folio and some other bits) in a way that will always be among the most treasured memories of my youth

More
28 Oct 2017 23:59 #256529 by Jackwraith
Ha. I still have a couple dozen of the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks stashed away somewhere. Those were cool. They'll probably move on to one of my friends' kids pretty soon. I was kind of glad that I held on to a bunch of old fantasy and SF stuff recently, when I discovered that some friends' have a six-year-old who's obsessed with dragons. She already reads at a fairly high level, so I handed her all of the books from Richard Knaak's old Dragonrealm series. Don't know if she's ready for a 250-page novel yet, but she should be soon. Then it's a question of how long it takes her to ask about D&D...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds