October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Old-School Essentials

More
08 May 2020 16:49 #310093 by ChristopherMD
Old School Essentials

Just a couple late Friday afternoon lazy questions. This replaced my copy of Labyrinth Lord some time ago, but I haven't actually used it yet.

Are you using the Advanced rules or just the Classic? Why?

Have you played the adventure books?

Did you get the boxset or book(s)?

I have the hardcover Classic book (Mullen cover). Was tempted by the boxset but decided to save precious shelf-space. Still not sure I made the right decision on that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2020 18:30 #310098 by Michael Barnes
I love OSE, but lately it’s been all DCC.

I use both the Advanced books- they add a lot more classes and push the game up to 1e AD&D. I’ve got a Bars, a Barbarian, and a Half-Orc in the party so we’ve gotta have it. We don’t do multi class or separate race-based classes into race/class. I don’t think the advanced books are necessary unless you want those extra classes or the Druid/illusionist spell lists.

Both of the official Necrotic Gnome adventures are outstanding. Hole in the Oak is whimsical, weird, and utterly delightful. It can be quite dangerous for 1-2 level characters, and there are lots of really fun encounters. It’s a fairly large dungeon so it plays almost like a mini-megadungeon.

Winter’s Daughter is lovely. It’s very folklore-y...really quite easy to run and it’s suitable for a one-shot. There are some really awesome pieces in it, haunting and almost melancholy. The opening is a little odd though, it connects to the larger Dolmenwood setting that isn’t officially out yet and it’s sort of unusually grisly given the tone of the rest of the book. But it’s also easy to just trim that scene out.

I got the box set and I have mixed feelings about it after five months of using it. I really love the product, and I love having five little (well, seven) color coded HCs. I love the design of the books and the use of the endpapers as reference. But...it is somewhat a hassle to have five books floating around and at first, it’s awkward trying to remember which tables or lists are in which book. I kind of want the tome as well, and almost preordered it at Exalted Funeral but decided to hold off on it.

There is a new Advanced book in the way, another Monster book- it will update it up through MMII and Fiend Folio. I’d regard that as a must-have

And the Dolmenwood book is shaping up to be a can’t miss based on the previews...it looks amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds