oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews

Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: knizia)

09 Aug 2010 08:44
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Star Trek: Expeditions game by Knizia/Wizkids

Star Trek: Expeditions game by Knizia/Wizkids

Category: Ameritrash

I looked at it but wasn't impressed. As soon as he said Knizia I glazed over. I can't remember that last Knizia game that I liked. Mechanically they all work but that is all there is - mechanics.

Actually there is one knizia game I like. Frank has a pirate children's game which is kind of charming.

The Clix game was next to it and looked fun though. Modular Hex board (large tiles) where youy explore or fight. You can attempt to convert nuetral planets join your federation/emprire. There are event cards and hazards(and missions I think). First to score 10 points of planets/missions wins. It looked fast fun and definately Avery-freindly.

Steve"Knizia?! Knizia?! We don't need no steeking Knizia!!"Avery
09 Aug 2010 08:19 - 09 Aug 2010 08:20
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re:Star Trek: Expeditions game by Knizia/Wizkids

Wow, I had known about the click game, but not this. Very interesting, though I'm hesitant more due to the WizKids name rather than Knizia. Knizia may re-use the same 4-5 mechanics over and over, but then again, he has stuff like T&E and LOTR: The Confrontation, which really are masterpieces.

I'll have a leery eye on this.
09 Aug 2010 04:49
Replied by wolvendancer on topic Re:Star Trek: Expeditions game by Knizia/Wizkids

I've got my eye on this, too, though I'm no fan of Knizia. Even more interesting is the rumoured Star Trek starship battle game that's coming after this. Even if the latter simply gives me a chance to rob some figures for my copy of Star Trek: Tactical Combat Simulator I'll be happy. The latter is excellent, and I don't play it enough.
09 Aug 2010 04:40
Star Trek: Expeditions game by Knizia/Wizkids was created by Grudunza

I'd heard something a while ago about Wizkids acquiring the Star Trek license and making some kind of a board game. I wasn't too optimistic, but I just saw this picture of a prototype and thought it looked very promising... Turns out it's a co-op by Knizia, and will use Heroclix figures/ships to track damage or resources or other various stats.

Others here will certainly disagree, but I thought Knizia did a good job turning the classic property of the Lord of the Rings into a memorable game, so hopefully he can pull this off as well. And though I haven't really heard good things about the Heroclix game system (this is not compatible with that), I always thought it was a clever idea to have the stats tracked like that on the figure itself, so this could be a good game to feature that. You can catch quite a few details by zooming into the picture... looks like there's a decent amount going on.

So did anybody that went to Gencon get to check this out at all? I can't find too much more info about it, but there is this brief description from someone at TOS : I didn't play this one - but I wanted to add the highlight of the con for me. I stood and heard all about a new game from Reiner Knizia for WizKids using the rebooted Star Trek license coming out (I think) next year. It looks completely fantastic! Think Lord of the Rings meets Star Trek. It's called (I think?) Star Trek: Expeditions. It's a co-op where you are called to a sector and have to beam down to planets. It has a forking story line (awesome) and complete team play. There's a time limit marching down, the Enterprise gets to blast away (or be blasted) by an orbiting Klingon ship all the while you're solving this crazy stack of cards that connect together.
23 Jul 2009 21:00
Reiner Knizia’s Robot Master (iPhone) was created by ChristopherMD

Reiner Knizia’s Robot Master (iPhone)

Category: Article Discussions

by ChristopherMD    
July 23, 2009    

I picked up an iPod Touch recently and thought I'd start giving my impressions on some of the games for it. I'm hoping these blurbs will lead to me writing full-fledged board game reviews later, which I've been unmotivated to do since I came here.

Reiner Knizia's Robot Master (iPhone & iPod Touch): 

Straight out let me say that this game really didn’t need to have Knizia’s name attached for me to know it was designed by him. It’s basically a tile-laying game where your lowest total is your score as well as some other Knizia standards. The board is a 5x5 grid and there are six of each tile numbered 0-5. At the start of the game a random tile is placed in the center to start things off as each tile has to be adjacent to another. When a tile is placed into a square the total for that row and column increases by the tile’s point value. A 10x bonus is given if there is a matching tile in that row or column and if there are two other matching tiles that row or column receives 100 points regardless of tile value. Once every space on the grid is filled the game is over and as stated your lowest total in either a row or column is your score.A pretty simple game on the same complexity level of something like Sudoku.

In the solitaire game, my preferred way of playing, you are given one tile per turn to place and your final score is the lowest total out of the rows and columns. If playing multi-player you get a hand of 5 or 12 tiles (your choice) to choose from and your score will be the lowest column total while your opponents score will be the lowest row total. I only played a few games against the AI and found no problems with it. I'm not sure when or why I'd ever play against a live person, but the option is there nonetheless.

Now we joke a lot around F:AT about the so-called “Euro” games being multiplayer solitaire, math exercises, puzzles disguised as games, etc. However, for the on-the-go and mostly solitaire needs of Touch or iPhone users they apparently work out pretty well. For me the ability to play it while listening to music is a big plus and pretty much the kind of thing I got a Touch for instead of just a regular iPod. Anyways, if you like Knizia’s tile-laying games then this is a good portable option where you’ll find more strategy the more you play it. I’m not sure if this has any direct board game equivalent, but there are implementations for Reiner Knizia’s Poison and Reiner Knizia’s Knights Of Charlemagne. I’ve never played Knights, but the screenshot makes it look Battle Line-esque so I may give that a shot sometime also.

04 Feb 2009 18:00
Follow-up: LEGO board games by Knizia was created by Juniper

Follow-up: LEGO board games by Knizia

by Juniper    
February 04, 2009    

A brief follow-up on our earlier scoop about Knizia's involvement in the creation of a new line of brick-built LEGO board games:

This press release is in German, but it seems to be saying that ten games are planned for the product line, not six as reported elsewhere.  Here’s a translation.  It's not clear that all ten games were designed in cooperation with Dr. Knizia, but the press release can be interpreted that way.

The Brothers Brick  reports that the games will initially be released only in "Germany, Austria, Switzerland, UK and Ireland with more countries to follow in 2010."

31 Jan 2009 18:00
F:At Scoop: first photo of LEGO boardgame by Knizia was created by Juniper

F:At Scoop: first photo of LEGO boardgame by Knizia

by Juniper    
January 31, 2009    

Further to Friday's post about a new line of boardgames constructed from LEGO bricks, to be unveiled this week at International Toy Fair Nürnberg:

Here's a first photo of one of the games in the product line.  The designer appears to be Reiner Knizia.

Not exactly the expandable miniatures game that I dream they'll someday produce.  One can still hope.

Edit:

OK, maybe not a scoop.  Here's an article with a different photo of the same game.

03 Jul 2008 23:46
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:Knizia finally scores - twice! SdJ winners announced

Knizia finally scores - twice! SdJ winners announced

Category: Eurogames

Gary Sax wrote:

Hadn't heard of it till now, so I checked the BGG entry you linked...

Keltis is almost humorously boring looking. At least his kids game has a ghost in it.

I disagree totally. Nothing almost or humorous about it. It looks like "please kill me now!!" boring. I would rather try the kiddy game. It looks much more interesting and has a real theme.

BillN
01 Jul 2008 15:35
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:Knizia finally scores - twice! SdJ winners announced

To me the SdJ = Game to Avoid. I gave Zooloretto a try last year and that's 1 hour of my life I want back.

-Will
01 Jul 2008 03:12
Replied by schlupp on topic Re:Knizia finally scores - twice! SdJ winners announced

Well, Keltis is the re-implementation of Lost Cities. Only now you can play it with more than two people. What is the need for this game though? Do some people have more than one wife to play it with?

It'll be interesting, whether the game now starts to climb the ladder. I think now it lingers around nr. 1600 on BGG.
30 Jun 2008 22:58 - 30 Jun 2008 22:59
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Knizia finally scores - twice! SdJ winners announced

Hadn't heard of it till now, so I checked the BGG entry you linked...

Keltis is almost humorously boring looking. At least his kids game has a ghost in it.
30 Jun 2008 15:28
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Knizia finally scores - twice! SdJ winners announced

I kind of liked Ken's blog entry on this comparing Knizia and Susan Lucci finally winning her Daytime Emmy award. Except that Susan is a lot better looking.

--Mike L.
30 Jun 2008 09:10
Knizia finally scores - twice! SdJ winners announced was created by schlupp

I guess Reiner Knizia has won it all now. Not only did he win the Spiel des Jahres Award with Keltis , he also won Kinderspiel des Jahres with Wer war's? !

What next, will he finish that Cthulhu game and retire?
15 Feb 2008 02:04
Knizia Fan Club: "I'm Feeling Lucky" was created by Juniper

Knizia Fan Club: "I'm Feeling Lucky"

It's Snapshot time again, and today's image has a story behind it.

While looking at the visitor stats for this very site, ubarose noticed that someone had found fortressat.com using a search engine and the search phrase "knizia fan club."  No joke!

We don't know who that visitor might have been, but I suspect that today's Snapshot contains a clue.

Read more...
13 Feb 2008 02:06
Replied by PseudoIntellectual on topic Re:Nuremburg Games- Reiner Knizia hits rock bottom

Nuremburg Games- Reiner Knizia hits rock bottom

Michael Barnes wrote:

Wow. It looks like one of Knizia's new games is...Dominoes.

Looking over the photos of the Nuremburg show posted at Tric Trac, it appears that:

- Euro designers have given up on theme altogether apart from kids' games about animals and are doing more abstracts. There are games with titles like SIX, BIG POINTS, PRIVACY, and ON TOP

- Every game released in Europe this year will have worker placement and/or tile laying

- Europeans wear full suits, smoke cigars, and drink champagne while gaming

- There ain't a damn thing there that I'm interested in other than KINGSPORT and TITAN.

I think it would be damn cool if we all wore suits, smoked cigars and drank champagne whilst playing board-games. It would make it more amusing if someone were to splutter and choke on their cigar or do a spit-take with champagne when someone rolls 8 6's in a row and causes the zombie-dinosaurs to miserably destroy your corporation's earnings that turn.
Displaying 241 - 255 out of 263 results.
Time to create page: 1.952 seconds