October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Fallout 3

More
15 Oct 2008 10:52 #12947 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:Fallout 3
Oh, and those who are looking for a spiritual successor to the Fallout style of RPGs might want to check out the upcoming indie title Age of Decadence, from Iron Tower Studio. It's in a totally different setting, but the developer shares a similar gaming philosophy (and has clearly adopted FO-style combat and interaction).

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2008 05:37 - 16 Oct 2008 05:38 #12990 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Fallout 3
About Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics. It came out in 2004 or 2005 in the USA on the Xbox and is backwards compatible on the Xbox 360. I don't know about the PS2 release, but the NA Xbox release is in English.

It's awesome, if a little generic in the story (You play the Blue Country and have to stop the agressor RED country) but you get to use military equipment from like 7 countries.

Plays like a board game almost. The computer AI is predictable on Normal difficulty but still presents a challenge.

Great game.

Michael Barnes wrote:

I was of course really interested until I saw it was an FPS...that sort of killed it for me.

I got this really sweet UK disc that has FALLOUT, FALLOUT 2, and FALLOUT TACTICS on it...I played through some of the first two games and like Shell said, I was kind of surprised at how clunky they are now- I don't think the games hold up very well although the setting, writing, and characters are still great. TACTICS, I think, is still awesome and it's actually my favorite of the lot.

Is it true that Fallout is in essence a sequel to Wasteland?

It's definitely a spiritual successor, but not a sequel. WASTELAND is one of the greatest games of any format ever released. Go see if Underdogs has it if you've never played it.

No, Fallout 3 isn't an FPS.

It's an RPG set in the THIRD or FIRST person that, yes, primarily relies on ranged weapons. It has its share of brutal and powerful close combat weapons though.

Is Mass Effect a third person shooter than?

If I use a bow in Oblivion (or projectile spells) am I playing a FPS?

Sorry holmes, I can't buy that argument.

I know some people don't like First Person RPGs because the combat is in real time (and sometimes akward with swords in that view), however, F3 is all about that VATS targeting man. Just assign APs to shoot.

Fallout 2 for it's time was pretty good. We're mostly working on nostalgia here though. In truth, it is clunky in some regards but the fact that people talk it up so much 10 years after it came out (and rightfully so) is indicative enough for me that a good game is there (and that i've played it, of course).
Last edit: 16 Oct 2008 05:38 by Lagduf.

More
16 Oct 2008 05:40 #12991 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Fallout 3
I'm glad though that we all agree that POST NUCLEAR APOCALYPSE is a criminally underrated and underrepresented genre in board games and video games.

More
16 Oct 2008 10:14 #13003 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Fallout 3
Lagduf wrote:

I'm glad though that we all agree that POST NUCLEAR APOCALYPSE is a criminally underrated and underrepresented genre in board games and video games.

Absolutely. Come to think of it, my first rpg experience was actually Gamma World. I guess I've always been a fan of the post-apocalyptic stuff: The Road Warrior, Killraven comics, and Gamma World. These days, the only semi-regular post-apocalyptic fix that I get is an occasional game of Armageddon Empires.

More
17 Oct 2008 18:17 #13101 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Re:Fallout 3
A friend of mine just played Fallout 1 for the first time ever and had a great time. So I think it still holds up well enough.

Fallout 3...well I haven't liked anything Bethesda has put out yet. They've all bored me. So my hopes are not high.

More
18 Nov 2008 11:06 #14055 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Fallout 3
I finally got a chance to play Fallout 3 for a while last night and the more I played the more impressed with it I got. I like the targetting system. It feels like a turn based game within real time.

More
18 Nov 2008 16:45 #14096 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Re:Fallout 3

About Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics. It came out in 2004 or 2005 in the USA on the Xbox and is backwards compatible on the Xbox 360. I don't know about the PS2 release, but the NA Xbox release is in English.

A little late, but yes the PS2 release came to the US also. Best Buy had it for cheap for awhile, and there's always Goozex.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds