October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Christmas games 2008

More
26 Dec 2008 00:50 #15733 by KingPut
Christmas games 2008 was created by KingPut
I got my daughter, Ghost Spore for Christmas. I thought I was going to hate it as much as the Sims but Spore is great so far. It's kind of America Megafauna meets Civilization or something. I think me and Ghost will be fighting over the good computer.

We ended up getting 3 new Wii games this year. Legos Star Wars which is amazingly fun playing with my youngest daughter, Nature Girl. We ended up logging in over 2 hour playing Star Wars Christmas day. We also picked up Wii music which is ok. I think it will be fun for 5 or 10 minutes here or there but overall not great. Finally, we picked up Wii Ski. This was a lot of fun. You can play with up to 4 players and its kind of free form and non-competitive which is great for my family.

As for board games, I gave myself a copy of Runebound. I've been trying to buy it used or trade for it for a couple of years. I finally decided I need a second game I could play solo besides Arkham Horror. I was really worried after the first couple of turns that the game was going to be too repetitive but I really liked it after about the 4th turn.

I was at a game night a last week and it was about 10:00 PM. I had a choice of playing Ticket to Ride with the group or going home and playing the last half of a solo Runebound game. Maybe, I'm an Ameritrash Geek but I picked going home and finishing playing solo Runebound.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2008 06:01 #15736 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
I bought myself the following games for Christmas:

FAB: The Bulge
Storm over Stalingrad
World at War: Eisenbach Gap

I also FINALLY received a copy of Titan that I got in a trade. I'm annoyed the guy took so long to send it and hasn't bothered to leave me feedback, but whatever, I'm just glad I have a copy of this game. Looks like i'll be playing a three player game Today or Tommorrow.

More
26 Dec 2008 08:08 #15737 by benny lava
Replied by benny lava on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
My wife got some games for Nintendo DS (a great system for a nursing mom!): Kirby Superstar Ultra, Personal Trainer: Cooking and Cate West: The Vanishing Files.

My 12 year old daughter got Animal Crossing and MySims: Kingdom for Wii.

My 15 year old son got Gears of War 2, NBA 2K9 and Madden 09 for 360.

I got some boardgames: Descent: Tomb of Ice, Starcraft: Broodwar, Cosmic Encounter and Red November. Oh, and my neighbor got me Munchkin. How is that, btw? It gets trashed on TOS, but that doesn't really mean anything, does it?

More
26 Dec 2008 10:55 #15741 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Lego Star Wars is a blast.

I got Ghost Squad for Wii and finally a copy of Marvel Heroes. But the board is seriously seriously warped. I hope FFG still has replacements.

More
26 Dec 2008 13:37 #15744 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Yep. Still have replacements. Send mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Queue is a bit long at the moment, but I'll get to things as fast as possible... short term solution, cut the board into quads. Keeps the Hulk and other heavy guys from surfing off the surface.

I got (myself) a bitching new computer (2,4ghz quadcore with 896megs of videoram, woot) for Christmas, parts arrive on the 29th, and I expect I will put the thing to gether as soon as humanly possible. Then I will look for games to use said bitching computer with. Sad thing, but the upcoming title I am most looking forward to is Sims 3. I am a big dork for dollhouse-computergame.

A secret santa got me Galaxy Trucker, which is fun (although I am not especially good at it). My spaceships keep breaking in half :( I like the real time aspect of it, keeps the analysis paralysis guys from taking all freaking day.

I got a call from an old friend, too demanding that I teach him how to play Tide of Iron, and I think I may be hammering together a new gaming group... I hope...

More
26 Dec 2008 13:54 #15745 by Michael Barnes
No games whatsoever which is fine by me. Got fine single-source chocolates, clothes, and knives instead.

More
26 Dec 2008 14:00 #15746 by benny lava
Replied by benny lava on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Michael Barnes wrote:

No games whatsoever which is fine by me. Got fine single-source chocolates, clothes, and knives instead.

Steak knives? Throwing knives? Creepy-dude-at-the-renaissance-festival-knives?

More
26 Dec 2008 14:05 #15747 by ChristopherMD
I got myself Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for the PSP.

More
26 Dec 2008 14:25 #15748 by Merkles
Replied by Merkles on topic Re:Christmas games 2008

Barnes wrote: No games whatsoever which is fine by me. Got fine single-source chocolates, clothes, and knives instead.

So--were they Alton Brown signature Shun knives?

More
26 Dec 2008 15:03 #15751 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Barnes already got his fill of free games. heh.

More
26 Dec 2008 15:52 #15752 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Afrika II. And Fallout 3 for PC. Not too shabby at all!

More
26 Dec 2008 16:38 #15753 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Played some Set.

More
26 Dec 2008 17:40 - 26 Dec 2008 17:41 #15755 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
No new games for me - downsizing and watching the pennies for 2009 - but did get Tide of Iron just before in a trade (for Mississippi Queen + Exp.) that I organised with a couple of others on TOS, so that's a decent enough present for me.

My yungsta go an xbox360 and half a dozen games including Halo 3 so I bought him some Halo Actionclix boosters that (hopefully) we will get to run out ... possibly also with a guy at my games club.

Funny story from the day ... getting ready going around to his grandma's for the whole day and was thinking should I take a light boardgame around for the evening. His grandparents and mum aren't gamers at all but we had played Cluedo and Monopoly on previous Christmas' with the yungsta (it's his birthday as well so he gets most of the attention), so I thought about it - I had The Omega Virus that I hadn't broken out but decided after reading the rules that no one was going to get it, then considered Carcassonne as that was a pretty simple game to understand and looked the part, but finally decided that he would probably be on the 360 most of the day so gave up.
Anyway, arrived there and while settling in on the sofa his Grandma told me about a game they had seen English friends while at their holiday apartment in Spain playing, then saw a copy in some department store so bought it, and asked me if I knew anything about it .... and they pulled out a unopened copy of Carcassonne. I told them that I had it and the yungsta had been playing it since he was about six.
In the end the 360 won the day (plus two people wandered off sick or too tired) so I just checked off the Haloclix figures we pulled and got my arse whipped playing some WW2 fighter game (I do have two thumbs, a brain, and two eyes but they don't all work together :blush: ).
Last edit: 26 Dec 2008 17:41 by southernman.

More
27 Dec 2008 01:48 #15757 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
My wife gave me BSG -- have to say that Barnes' review was right on the money; the best game of 2008.

I also received a cast iron skillet, a new cutting board, and other various kitchen gadgets to support my amateur chef habit.

More
27 Dec 2008 03:17 #15759 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
No games for me this year. Although I plan on getting myself a present.

Titan? Android? Cosmic Encounter? Suggestions?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds