October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2646 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Christmas games 2008

More
27 Dec 2008 04:23 #15760 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
I am not in the part of the world that does many christmas presents, but I did get to play Wii MArio racing (it's easier if you cant drive a car) and Jungle Fever. Fun, but not the bees knees. Then again we had our Christmas offensive ( http://fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=The-Christmas-Offensive.html&Itemid=240#comment-7815 ) on the 24th and Warriors of God is on for Sunday!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2008 07:50 #15761 by Xerxes
Replied by Xerxes on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Got the reprinted version of the Dragon Warriors RPG, my copies of the original paperbacks are on their last legs so this was great. I'll be starting a short campaign for a couple of my games group along with my son & a school friend.

Got my wife the 'Professor Layton Mystery Game' for the DS knocking on for 10 hours of her time has now vanished into it!

Happy New Year all.

More
27 Dec 2008 09:16 #15762 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Myself: Didn't ask for much. Bender's Game DVD. Then, the wifey surprised me on Christmas morn with Guitar Hero Aerosmith LEB. Had I had my phone on Christmas Eve, I could have gotten Rock Band. Oh well, she just wants to see me and my 5 year old look like retards playing "Dude Looks Like a Lady". :silly:

I also got The Dark Knight and War DVDs from my mother in law. And from a co-worker, I got (Barnes avert your eyes) Munchkin Cthulhu!

As for the Noah Bean, the boy made out like a bandit, of course. He got new Thomas the Tank Engine motorized toys, a motorized sub that is usable in the bathtub (couldn't keep him from taking a bath... THE HORROR!), and more Hot Wheels cars with a stunt track. His grandmother got him a Razor scooter, which he's now playing with outside.

The wife got stainless steel pots and pants, which she wanted. I surprised her with a brand new digital camera and the PC game Bejeweled Twist. Oh God, it was like giving a crack addict two tons o' rocks. She's played the game so much, we've reverted to running the old Penny Arcade joke about the original game.

"Look! I'm naked! No clothes!"

"Go away, I'm Bejeweling."

"Son, it's time for your Second Coming!"

"But, Daaaaad, I'm Bejeweling!" :laugh:

All in all, a good Christmas.

More
27 Dec 2008 16:52 #15764 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
HOO HAA :woohoo:

Late Christmas Present ! .... an online site here just showed up with BSG for £22 delivered ($33) so order fired off with extreme haste.

More
27 Dec 2008 19:38 #15765 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
I got, uh, this game called Camp . ??:unsure:??

More
27 Dec 2008 19:46 #15766 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Count Orlok wrote:

No games for me this year. Although I plan on getting myself a present.

Titan? Android? Cosmic Encounter? Suggestions?

Can't go wrong with Cosmic. :cheer:

More
28 Dec 2008 17:13 - 28 Dec 2008 17:14 #15791 by Michael Barnes
So--were they Alton Brown signature Shun knives?

Ha! Yeah, right...those are _really_ nice though, the "Alton's Angles" set...they're just really expensive. I sure would have liked to have gotten that Santoku. Kershaw makes those, you know. I do have one of his cast-off knives that got sent to him by another company and he didn't want it...he gave it to my wife. It's very, very nice, not sure why he didn't like it. It's probably a $300-$400 butcher knife.

Got a couple of automatics, which I have a tremendous affinity for...including an out-the-front Cupid, very similar to the one The Joker has in THE DARK KNIGHT. Also got a good, old fashioned Swiss Army knife, can't go wrong there.

I did pretty much get my share of free games, didn't I? I'm counting five, all of which were awesome...except, ahem, one. ;-)
Last edit: 28 Dec 2008 17:14 by Michael Barnes.

More
28 Dec 2008 17:15 #15792 by Michael Barnes
Oh, shit. I forgot about my best christmas present of all...four tickets to see the Pogues here in Atlanta March 9th. I don't usually drink much, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to need a taxi home from that show.

More
28 Dec 2008 23:57 #15801 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
I got the copy of Combat Commander: Pacific that I bought myself. I just cut out the middlewoman. Haven't had a chance to play it yet; ended up playing C&C:A and CoH today instead.

Did get the family a Wii, and they've all had fun with it this long weekend. Like I figured, me being of limited distance vision was going to be a problem with the Wii Remote, but I can still handle some of the games (and Brawl can use the ol' Wavebird).

More
28 Dec 2008 23:57 - 29 Dec 2008 00:44 #15802 by Harkonnen13
Replied by Harkonnen13 on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Christmas was good. My wife bought me no games so I had to make up for it with ASL stuff that I bought for myself. The ASL rules binder, Beyond Valor, Valor of the Guards, and Yanks. God have mercy on me. I bought myself a New Years present today at the comic shop, just a few games for sale but they always have open tables and they always let me play wargames there enen though they don't really sell any. One copy of Android went home with me today since apparently it plays well with 2 and I think the wife will like it. I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

Besides that the wife got me all 86 episodes of the Sopranos (oh hell yes) and a NIN concert DVD among other things for Christmas. I got her a whole bunch of shit. Like I said a good Christmas.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2008 00:44 by Harkonnen13.

More
29 Dec 2008 16:04 - 29 Dec 2008 16:09 #15837 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Merkles wrote:

Barnes wrote: No games whatsoever which is fine by me. Got fine single-source chocolates, clothes, and knives instead.

So--were they Alton Brown signature Shun knives?

Bah. Wusthof or bust for me. I found the Shuns to be altogether wrong for me [unbalanced and uncomfortable in my hands].

Just one game for me for Xmas--a Hilinski bros' Crokinole board that the wife had painted with a design lifted from a wall mosaic at the Alhambra in Grenada, Spain. We had a blast on that trip, so we thought this would be a nice memento. I've always thought that these guys' boards were more art than game, so it's on the wall at the moment. [Plus, Carl H. and Penny, their artist, keep their offices all of 10 minutes west of were we live, so I consider this a great piece of "local art."]

Now, that said, the game is stupid fun too. We love "flick stuff" dexterity games, so this will get a ton of play.

As for "gifts to myself," I finally gave in and coughed up a pile for a copy of Monty's Gamble: Market Garden. My local F2F wargame opponent thought the Not War But Murder system looked like great fun [we're to play that one next week], so I'm pretty sure he'll love MG:MG too. It's always good to have a local opponent....
Last edit: 29 Dec 2008 16:09 by Dogmatix.

More
29 Dec 2008 16:54 #15839 by ChristopherMD
Michael Barnes wrote:

I did pretty much get my share of free games, didn't I? I'm counting five, all of which were awesome...except, ahem, one. ;-)

You can send me the less-than-awesome one if you want.

It is Android, right?

More
29 Dec 2008 17:24 #15841 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, it is...but it's already been...retired.

More
29 Dec 2008 19:12 #15849 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Re:Christmas games 2008
Well, I bought myself Titan. It's the only 'new' game I've tried and enjoyed, so I took the plunge and bought it today. Hope to play it some tomorrow.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds