October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Avalon HIll PC games

More
29 Jan 2008 18:54 #1636 by Michael Barnes
You know, I'm playing an abandonware copy of ADVANCED CIVILIZATION using DosBox and all I'm thinking is "Damn, this is really awesome!" It's a really great way to play the game without the need for either the $300 board game or other people willing to play it.

AH actually did a pretty great job translating some of their games to 1:1 PC versions from what I've seen.

I've got 1830 but I haven't figured out how to play it yet...I practically wore their goofy yet accurate HISTORY OF THE WORLD out over a decade ago...anybody have any recommendations for other AH PC games to check out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2008 20:01 #1637 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
I used to have 5th Fleet for my PC.

More
29 Jan 2008 21:47 #1646 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
I tried downloading 1830 one time and I was just completely scratching my head. No idea how to play it.

More
29 Jan 2008 22:31 #1649 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
Michael Barnes wrote:

You know, I'm playing an abandonware copy of ADVANCED CIVILIZATION using DosBox and all I'm thinking is "Damn, this is really awesome!" It's a really great way to play the game without the need for either the $300 board game or other people willing to play it.

AH actually did a pretty great job translating some of their games to 1:1 PC versions from what I've seen.

I've got 1830 but I haven't figured out how to play it yet...I practically wore their goofy yet accurate HISTORY OF THE WORLD out over a decade ago...anybody have any recommendations for other AH PC games to check out?

Can't you play Advanced Civ over the net using the software?

--Mike L.

More
29 Jan 2008 23:02 #1650 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
AdvCiv is indeed a great port. 1830 is good too, but the interface makes it tough to play if you don't know the game well. I remember 5th Fleet being too buggy to play.

More
30 Jan 2008 09:57 #1666 by Michael Barnes
I know you can do PBEM on ADCIV, not sure if there's a real time thing. I don't think there is though.

There's a manual online for 1830...it's a really crap photocopy though, so I haven't bothered to read it yet. From what I can tell so far, the game is about selecting which portrait has the most amazing sideburns and then clicking on stock certificates until you realize you have no idea what you're doing and turn it off.

More
30 Jan 2008 11:12 #1671 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
AdvCiv is PBEM only. For real-time there's a VASSAL module (getting 8 players for a game, that would be awesome).
1830, you really need to get the original rules somewhere. If you like trains, it's worth the effort, there's a great game underneath all this.

More
30 Jan 2008 13:03 #1672 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
I've had the 1830 abandonware downloaded for about 6 yrs with the manual and have probably got no further than Mike.

I have Kingmaker on CD (nice big box) which I used to play a couple of years back and that was always fun.

Also have Axis & Allies:Iron Blitz (another nice big box) which I picked up at a carboot sale two years ago and have yet to run it up - I read that this version had meant to have fixed all the bugs in the crappy original release so I had better pull my finger out.

More
30 Jan 2008 13:31 #1673 by Michael Barnes
Huh...forgot about that Kingmaker...I'm gonna go get that one.

The only thing bad about ADCIV is that when you're playing a 7 player game, it still takes forever to watch the AI players take their turns. The trading is a little wack since you're really just trading against some kind of arcane valuation algorithms, but overall it's pretty much all you could ask for in a PC version.

More
30 Jan 2008 16:09 #1677 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
Southernman wrote:

I've had the 1830 abandonware downloaded for about 6 yrs with the manual and have probably got no further than Mike.

I have Kingmaker on CD (nice big box) which I used to play a couple of years back and that was always fun.

Also have Axis & Allies:Iron Blitz (another nice big box) which I picked up at a carboot sale two years ago and have yet to run it up - I read that this version had meant to have fixed all the bugs in the crappy original release so I had better pull my finger out.

They fixed all the bugs except for the crappy AI.

More
30 Jan 2008 17:02 #1683 by Michael Barnes
Hey, does anybody have the PDF of the Kingmaker manual? Underdogs won't let me download it for some reason.

More
05 Feb 2008 10:10 - 05 Feb 2008 11:13 #1904 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
-> Done.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2008 11:13 by Schweig!.

More
05 Feb 2008 10:12 #1906 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
Did anybody of you also try the Dune game?

www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=4802

It wasn't programmed by the Avalon Hill computer games department, but still a 1:1 emulation.

More
03 Mar 2008 02:07 #3720 by milgate
Replied by milgate on topic Re:Avalon HIll PC games
Michael Barnes wrote:

If you like air-to-air combat, but don't care for flight simulators, Avalon Hill had three turn-based games that are pretty good: Flight Commander 2 (jet-era combat), Over the Reich and Achtung! Spitfire! (the last two, obviously, set in WWII).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds