October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

My oh my, what have we here? Crokinole!

More
09 Nov 2014 09:06 #190290 by Gary Sax

Sagrilarus wrote:
On that note, I just called Perry Cock's bluff at Multi-Man on Warriors of Japan. I may be the proud owner of 70 copies at wholesale, zero shipping costs. I can't help but think this would be a bad idea. I'd have to figure out how to ship those damn things too. I'd have to work up a business plan and total-cost analysis and consider putting them up on Kickstarter as a sale-by-proxy for Multi-Man, skimming a few dollars off of each sale on the way by.

I woke up to a normal day off. Remarkable what 12 hours can bring.

S.

Alright. You can't just leave us with that... what?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2014 12:44 - 09 Nov 2014 14:41 #190300 by Sagrilarus
Wifwendell, patron saint of Warriors of Japan ribbed Multi-Man for reprinting Warriors of God when WofJ has been languishing in preorder. It's close -- about 70 away, and when Perry Cocke of MMP replied to Wif he ribbed back -- go ahead and preorder the last 70 needed, I'll give you the retailer rate on them and it can go to print this winter.

So it got me to thinking -- their office is about ten miles from my house so I could avoid all shipping costs and get the games at a discount over the preorder cost. Put up a Kickstarter, and put my patented marketing bullshit on it and I bet I could get 70 sold and have the money in hand prior to having to pay MMP for the order.

What would remain is the time, effort and expense of packing and shipping (plus a cut for KS), and any copies I have left over would sell at 20% off retail at some point in the future. The game is small enough that having 20 or 30 in my garage wouldn't be a crisis.

Granted, MMP could do this themselves, but they're not. They look to CSW to do 100% of their marketing and at no cost. With a little prodding and an ad placed on Twilight Struggle's and C&C Ancients' pages on BGG they might just get enough interest for a $33 game (which is frikkin' cheap as hell at today's rates) to put it over the line.

For those of you who haven't seen it, it is a very visually attractive game, low chit count, low rule density. Play time is a bit on the long side though a game can end if one side gains a big enough lead prior to final turn. The art is by Mahaffey and he has done some very nice work to give it an Eastern ambiance.

So I shot a response back -- will you give me the retailer rate plus zero shipping (I'll pick up at their assembly point) if I order the remaining 70? Multi-Man doesn't bill until just prior to shipping, which means I could Kickstart this pig for about $2500. Multi-Man grade physical quality, tried-and-true Taiheiki quality game play, made in the USA. If I had a KS up now I could have an order to them prior to December 10th that would put it over the line.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2014 14:41 by Sagrilarus.

More
09 Nov 2014 13:55 #190303 by Hatchling
I'll take two.

More
11 Nov 2014 20:50 #190488 by Sagrilarus
Got to see the progress on the boards this evening and talk to the shop teacher. There was one board that had been stained gray, looked like hell. The teacher said that with one coat it had looked like a bleached wood and had some personality but that the student couldn't help himself and gave it a second coat. Pooched it. So they grabbed a section of the scrap wood and played with stains for the rest of the class and he demonstrated how just changing application method changes color. He had a black-and-tan thing going that looked killer and I told him he should put an image of a glass of Guinness on the board to go with it.

Apparently 25 want to keep the boards and want to have Crokinole nights as a regular thing when the boards are complete. 25 more aren't interested in keeping them, and he said that more than a few of them are talented individuals. He's very optimistic about the final result.

S.

More
11 Nov 2014 21:37 #190489 by Josh Look
Please make that thing about Warriors of Japan a reality. I want that game so, so bad. I saw the other day that it only needs 50 more orders on the P500.

More
11 Nov 2014 22:56 - 11 Nov 2014 23:10 #190493 by Sagrilarus
Starkweather asked if he should write something up for the newsletter and MMP said to hold off because something was changing. I haven't heard back from them so my guess is that they make make 500 its number and print. $33 preordered, so if you want in now is the time.

In case they did I checked the price of an ad-buy in Medieval Warfare magazine. $200-$400 per month depending on the size, which would reach 9000 readers in North America. Appears to be an academic issue at the moment.

MMP may have changes coming with Schilling's health. Don't know what it would mean (or does mean).

S.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2014 23:10 by Sagrilarus.

More
15 Nov 2014 04:04 #190734 by Cranberries
To clarify: Are you suggesting we just order from MMP directly? It looks like a great game. I hope that Schilling's cancer has been successfully treated.

More
15 Nov 2014 07:38 #190736 by Sagrilarus
Don't know, expecting a change of some sort in its status. Wouldn't hurt to preorder just to keep the scare up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
15 Jan 2015 22:52 - 15 Jan 2015 22:57 #195322 by Sagrilarus
Stopped in and saw the shop teacher today, asked how the boards were coming along. "Ninth coat" was his reply, and indicated that he has a design flaw that he knows about. He has to attach via screw with about 3/16ths of an inch to work with. He's doing that part of the assembly himself. He's hoping to have something to look in a couple of weeks.

There's flaws in some of the boards, to be expected for first projects for most of the kids doing it. The lines aren't perfectly uniform in thickness, and there are some places where clamps were compressed too hard and have put a non-breaking crease in the wood. Some of those could be lifted, but some couldn't. But all in all the boards look very nice, and some of the kids are talking about having a Crokinole Tournament. I haven't spent anything yet and I'm having a great time with it.

S.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2015 22:57 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush, stoic

More
31 Jan 2015 21:32 #196617 by Sagrilarus
Things are finally starting to look the way they should, and the boards have come out of their hibernation in the back room where they hid from dust as the varnish cured.

Sides are coming on, pegs in (quite tall) and they're starting to look like actual boards. Some have issues with their surfaces while others don't, as you'd expect from a high school shop class. But a couple of the boards I looked at looked very nice.

The teacher running the shop wasn't there today but the Principles of Engineering teacher was (this is the sponsor for the robotics teams) and he indicated that the price of materials was about $20 per board, implying that's what they would cost to purchase. I had been told $50 and my intention was to buy anything that looked good at that price, selling them to friends that had an intersest. I may end up with a trunk chock full of crokes, and at $20 a pop they'll go even if they have bumps in the varnish.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
31 Jan 2015 22:11 #196620 by wadenels
Those look really sharp. If you're not opposed to shipping and they have extras to part with let us me know.

That's a really cool wood shop project.

More
01 Feb 2015 10:50 #196628 by Disgustipater

wadenels wrote: Those look really sharp. If you're not opposed to shipping and they have extras to part with let us me know.

+1

More
01 Feb 2015 22:56 #196667 by cdennett

wadenels wrote: Those look really sharp. If you're not opposed to shipping and they have extras to part with let us me know.

That's a really cool wood shop project.

Ditto on the shipping part, as I've always wanted a Crokinole board. Can't be worse than the Mayday ones...

More
07 Feb 2015 15:25 - 07 Feb 2015 15:26 #197109 by Sagrilarus

This is the framing tool used to get the hex-shaped rails mounted around the outside of the boards. Bottom edge is routed to snuggle into the base piece of the board, ends mitred to 67.5 degrees for a flush fit.

Sides have been both glued and brad nailed together, with the nails well inset. My buddy whose a carpenter is a much bigger fan of gluing than nailing and doesn't like dovetailing at all, calling it an antiquated way to join wood from a time when glue didn't last more than a couple of years. So this appears to be a solid way to make a solid package.

I turned over one board to have a peek -- no hanger on the back. I'll need to find a solution for that.

S.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Feb 2015 15:26 by Sagrilarus.

More
07 Jan 2016 21:25 - 07 Jan 2016 21:29 #219319 by Sagrilarus
2nd Generation Seahawk boards:

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jan 2016 21:29 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.032 seconds