October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's Talk Dark Souls II.........

More
09 Nov 2014 08:11 - 09 Nov 2014 12:22 #190286 by ThirstyMan
Oh for God's sake there must be someone out there who can help me. I KEEP getting my arse kicked by the fucking Pursuer.

I need some help to kick this guy's teeth through the back of his skull so I can get some coolio armour. Anyone playing this that can help me in some way (I've read all the strategies now I need some meatbag bodies to help me out)?. I'm about level 40 and absolutely fucking rubbish.

If you're about the same level stick your summoning sign outside the door and tell me a time, preferably morning time on a weekend, when you'll be there. I am getting friggin' annihilated and it's making me mad. Also my wife is in USA for a month which is making me madder still.

EDIT Teeth duly kicked in with the help of a guy spurting purple rays from his hands. Done deal.

On another note, what a fucking great game....
Last edit: 09 Nov 2014 12:22 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2014 11:53 #190298 by hacksword
Which system (PC, PS3, X360)?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
17 Sep 2015 10:36 - 17 Sep 2015 10:37 #210825 by Gary Sax
THREAD REVIVAL.

Ok, so I beat the Pursuer by getting help from a coop partner and then got through Heidi Tower until the 2nd boss, the Old Dragonknight. I fought him like 5 times and the last time I got him down to 1 health but I was out of health items and I started freaking out so I spazzed to my death.

I guess what I wanted to talk about here with anyone who tried the game (even the old version, I have Sins of the Scholar which changes lots of the enemy placement and whatnot) is character build and equipment sets. Right now I'm using a generic battleaxe+3 and a strength heavy but otherwise pretty balanced build. Should I be upgrading the weapon I have? I'm worried that upgrade equipment is limited and I don't necessarily see myself using this weapon for the rest of the game... same with my shield, I just picked up a watchdragon parma after I sniped the dragon in Heidi's tower. I'm happier with it than with the shitty starting shield I had, but... there are so many options it's bewildering and I have a serious aversion to using limited resources on things that may be a mistake. Should I feel free to fuck around and upgrade stuff or will I regret it later?

Right now I think I'm going medium armor and keeping my equipment load to 70% so I can do a normal roll.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2015 10:37 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pug

More
17 Sep 2015 11:28 #210829 by SuperflyPete
Played it for about an hour, realized that it wasn't my cup of tea, then deleted it. Got it free from Gold so it was no loss.

More
17 Sep 2015 12:37 #210834 by Gary Sax
It is not for everyone. I tried DS1 and quit it, hating how hostile to the user it was. Then I played Bloodborne which is a) a better game and b) more transparent and informative to its users. DS2 is better than DS1 as well.

More
17 Sep 2015 13:47 #210842 by Black Barney
i never tried any of these. If DS3 gets fantastic reviews, I might start there.

More
17 Sep 2015 15:53 #210845 by DukeofChutney
I picked up DS1 in a steam sale recently, but i do not have an xbox controller for my PC and the game is clearly meant to be played which such an implement. Might have a proper go at it soon.

More
17 Sep 2015 16:20 #210846 by Gary Sax
You definitely need a controller. Most online fans think DS1 is the best of the series, but it made a serious bad impression with me a year or two ago.

More
21 Sep 2015 09:00 #211033 by Pug
I picked up the game on the PSN store while it was on sale for the PS4. I've already finished the game on 360, but that was some time ago, so I've completely forgot about builds and upgrade paths... that being said, I don't really think there's a right or wrong way to play the game. I've never really followed guides and have always managed to do fine in the game. For upgrading weapons/armour, most upgrade materials become available as you progress in the game (titanite shards, large titanite, etc), but there will always be a few that are uncommon. I always switched out weapons at times, because I always enjoyed trying new ones, even if they weren't fully upgraded. In the first run through, I went with a STR/FTH build, and had a blast. This time, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm placing stats into random spots as I see fit. It will be interesting!

My PS+ just ran out, just as I got to the Pursuer. I forgot how tough he was... still I managed to beat him after the 9th try. With him, a miscalculated roll is the difference between living and dying instantly. Felt good to see his ass drop.... now I'm at the Lost Bastille, which I loathed the first time through... and I don't think that's changed. Going to have to harvest souls and buy some Elite Knight armour!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Oct 2015 20:51 #211834 by SaMoKo
I found DS1 to be a much, much better game than DS2. DS2 wasn't terrible, but some of the level design ideas were batshit nuts, and I never felt like I was as thoroughly in control of my well being as much as I did in DS1. The sequel was really all over the board with some of my favorite stage designs (No Man's Warf, Iron Keep) and some of the worst (fucking Earthen Peak).

Enemy and boss design was likewise all over the place, although I really enjoyed the Pursuer who everyone here seems to despite lol. Dodge towards his shield side and stay close to him! Parry his slower attacks if you feel confident!

Where DS2 shines is in the freedom it allows for player builds. However, the soul level system borks PvP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
04 Oct 2015 10:38 - 04 Oct 2015 10:39 #211847 by Gary Sax
I got to the wharf level and played it till I got killed well into it, then put the game down and haven't been back in some time. Need to get back on it. I do agree on the number of options for weapons, armor, etc. It's almost bewildering and very RPG.

I wish the stat options were clearer. The game doesn't really gain anything by having you scouring wiki pages to figure out how to make key choices to your character. I'm still using battle axe I bought but I thought about switching to the grand lance I got because it's hilarious. It's too hard to use, though, for a noob.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2015 10:39 by Gary Sax.

More
08 Oct 2015 00:07 - 08 Oct 2015 00:09 #212136 by Gary Sax
Back at it this evening. Barely grabbed my souls and summoned the ship. That was a badass little scene. Then I chickened out and homeward boned... wish I had stuck with it because I think there was something in the room below the the switch. I looked on the wiki to see if I'd missed anything big and apparently I missed a key pharros stone that prevents those spider looking dudes from attacking? I just kept murdering them in the dark...

Still using the boring original battle axe. Still have no idea how the torches work.

I cannot overemphasize how important having the more consistent frame rate is for the game on PS4 vs. DS1 I played on the xbox.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2015 00:09 by Gary Sax.

More
08 Oct 2015 10:45 #212148 by R.P.Kraul
I'm just not a huge fan of Dark Souls II or Bloodborne. I can see why these games are appealing, but for me, there's just too much grinding and repetition.

More
09 Oct 2015 00:21 #212198 by SaMoKo

Gary Sax wrote: Back at it this evening. Barely grabbed my souls and summoned the ship. That was a badass little scene. Then I chickened out and homeward boned... wish I had stuck with it because I think there was something in the room below the the switch. I looked on the wiki to see if I'd missed anything big and apparently I missed a key pharros stone that prevents those spider looking dudes from attacking? I just kept murdering them in the dark...

Still using the boring original battle axe. Still have no idea how the torches work.

I cannot overemphasize how important having the more consistent frame rate is for the game on PS4 vs. DS1 I played on the xbox.

Well, the torches work for a set amount of time. They're good for lighting things up, and scaring away monsters that fear the light. Like a certain enemy that a pharros stone prevents from attacking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Oct 2015 12:46 #212287 by Gary Sax

SaMoKo wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Back at it this evening. Barely grabbed my souls and summoned the ship. That was a badass little scene. Then I chickened out and homeward boned... wish I had stuck with it because I think there was something in the room below the the switch. I looked on the wiki to see if I'd missed anything big and apparently I missed a key pharros stone that prevents those spider looking dudes from attacking? I just kept murdering them in the dark...

Well, the torches work for a set amount of time. They're good for lighting things up, and scaring away monsters that fear the light. Like a certain enemy that a pharros stone prevents from attacking.

Yeah, can't believe I missed that Pharros stone in that section. The boss after that is cake. Such cake, in fact, that you see him again really soon afterwards downstairs in a water area before a boss I'm not ready to fight yet.

I'm on the Ruin Sentinels right now and I think I'm way overleveled but still having a bitch of a time. I summon the two NPC dudes to help me and I'm getting pretty close. Once I get the 2nd sentinel down there won't be any problem. I haven't figured my weapon choice out yet, I'm still on the basic battle axe. I have a STR build.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds