October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Turbografx Upgrade at my Retro Game Cave

More
01 Dec 2015 15:07 - 01 Dec 2015 15:09 #216297 by The*Mad*Gamer
I just purchased the composite video cable for Turbografx

retrogamecave.com/#/shop/4577155957/nec-...o-pce-cables/5907870

I love it, can see an upgrade in video and sound and I'm very pleased as the Turbografx is one of my favorite retro systems. I have it set up currently on a big ass CRT.
Turbografx fits my video gaming style like a glove. It has the best pinball game ever made, "Devil's Crush", and a pile of GREAT shooters. I was playing Galaga 90 last night, just a great game, and if you play it I hope you start with the red fuel tank so you can get going with the triple fire ship right away!
Last edit: 01 Dec 2015 15:09 by The*Mad*Gamer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2015 15:25 #216299 by rocketkiwi
The Turbografx was the first console I bought for myself as an adult, so it holds a special place in my heart. The version of Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu for the TG16 is way better than the NES version (which is also a great game). It's neat that there's a way to get composite video out of it now without owning the official add-on!

More
01 Dec 2015 16:10 #216308 by The*Mad*Gamer

The version of Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu for the TG16 is way better than the NES version (which is also a great game).

Agree! Played it also last night, however, I have not beat the game yet!

More
01 Dec 2015 18:28 #216317 by Michael Barnes
How timely. I remember the Black Friday (back when it wasn't really called that) in 1989 when the TG-16 was out. I was told to go off with my mom in the store while my dad did some shopping. Of course, Christmas morning, I had the console, the stupid TurboBooster (I mean come on), the turbo stick and like six games. Including China Warrior, which may or may not count as a game.

I _loved_ this console. It wasn't quite as powerful as the SNES and it lacked some of the best games of its generation, but it was at the time the best way to get at some of the "deep cuts" coming from Japan. There were lots of odd games for it that just wouldn't have come out on other consoles like Ys, Silent Debuggers, Dungeon Explorer, even Keith Courage was way weird compared to some of the more accessible Japanese games.

Some GREAT shooters on this system...Lords of Thunder being the best of the bunch, IMO, but you've also got Blazing Lazers, Soldier Blade, Super Star Soldier, Gates of Thunder, Dragon Spirit, Parasol Stars, Ordyne, Fantasy Zone, Raiden...and of course R-Type, which at the time was the best version of the game. Flicker and all.

Dragon's Curse was awesome...Legendary Axe is rightly remembered fondly.

Ninja Spirit was probably the best game for it. It was kind of like Legend of Kage, but even better.

Military Madness (Nectaris) was one of the few turn based strategy games for consoles at the time, and it was great. Advance Wars is a clear descendant.

Devil's Crush is a masterpiece...I think it's way better than Alien Crush.

More
01 Dec 2015 20:24 #216322 by SuperflyPete
Blazing Lasers, Cadash and Splatterhouse are my faves. There was another game with a robot ... Hyperdine something ... It was bad ass

More
01 Dec 2015 22:54 #216337 by Ochobee
Don't forget about the awesome Zelda clone Neutopia and it's crazy-long savegame codes. I even loved Bonk, the game that (I think) came bundled with the system.

More
02 Dec 2015 10:54 #216364 by fastbilly1
The TG16/PCE is easily the prettiest 8bit console out there and if you love Hudson titles, it is mecca. If your tv can handle it, and you are comfortable with a sodlering iron, I recommend upgrading to the RGB traces to Component with this:
www.tg16pcemods.com/rgb-to-component-converter.html

I did it to mine back when the chip first came out and it still blows me away. A Region swap switch is useful to since on component Salamander and Parodius Da are stunning. Parodius Da looks almost as good as the arcade version, just with fewer animations.

Michael Barnes wrote: Military Madness (Nectaris) was one of the few turn based strategy games for consoles at the time, and it was great. Advance Wars is a clear descendant.

Famicom Wars released in 88 in Japan and was one of the the inspirations for Nectaris. Advance Wars was just the first of the Nintendo "Wars" titles to make it state side. The Famicom and GB wars games have massive slowdown though, it was not until Super Famicom Wars that the game really hit is stride.

More
02 Dec 2015 11:08 #216366 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: Legend of Kage is the greatest game ever made.

I fixed that up for you, no charge.

More
02 Dec 2015 11:20 #216369 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Fallout is the greatest game ever made.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds