October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

THE WITNESS

More
03 Feb 2016 11:37 #221561 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic THE WITNESS
The quality of the puzzles is quite outstanding thus far, regardless of anything else in the game. They hit the perfect spot to really touch that "discovery" feeling when you do get something (often simple) clicking in your head. Usually puzzle games go too hard or too easy for me and do not generate that feeling, I'm not generally a big fan of puzzle games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2016 23:50 - 04 Feb 2016 09:14 #221638 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic THE WITNESS
I got stuck on some Tetris puzzles. I managed to solve the sequence, but I wasn't sure why the answers were correct. So I decided to ask Jeb, and in the process of photoshopping up all the solutions to post here, it all clicked and I figured it out myself. Seems like that has happened to other people as well. Funny how that works.

Also, I think I need to step away from the tetromino puzzles. I'm in too deep (also, they're hard).

Last edit: 04 Feb 2016 09:14 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb

More
04 Feb 2016 07:05 - 04 Feb 2016 07:05 #221640 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic THE WITNESS
I'm on the puzzle that you have on your keyboard right now with the large pattern of squares. I understand how the series of puzzles work but I spent about 30 minutes last night trying to solve that particular one.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2016 07:05 by Gary Sax.

More
04 Feb 2016 09:17 #221648 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: I'm on the puzzle that you have on your keyboard right now with the large pattern of squares. I understand how the series of puzzles work but I spent about 30 minutes last night trying to solve that particular one.

That's the same sequence I solved but wasn't sure why until I explained what I did in a post that I wrote but didn't need to actually submit. The next sequence got weird so I moved on to something else and I'll come back to those.

More
04 Feb 2016 10:46 #221664 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic THE WITNESS
Haha! I posted this to Twitter a couple of days ago:

The spoiler below discusses this puzzle pretty explicitly, including a means to solve it, and the grammar of these kinds of puzzles.

Warning: Spoiler!

More
04 Feb 2016 14:03 - 04 Feb 2016 14:04 #221691 by Disgustipater
Where is that puzzle? The colored marsh area?

I found my way to the treehouse area with the sunburst puzzles. After only two sequences, I got cocky and said to myself, "I got this!" and ran back to the village where there are a couple of doors with sunburst puzzles on them, all ready to break them wide open. Of course they involve deeper mechanics than I was aware of. Had to walk away deflated.

Also, I've been pushing hard on the +XX progress puzzles: [no specifics, just being safe in case you haven't discovered them yet]
Last edit: 04 Feb 2016 14:04 by Disgustipater.

More
04 Feb 2016 14:24 #221695 by jeb

Disgustipater wrote: Where is that puzzle? The colored marsh area?

I found my way to the treehouse area with the sunburst puzzles. After only two sequences, I got cocky and said to myself, "I got this!" and ran back to the village where there are a couple of doors with sunburst puzzles on them, all ready to break them wide open. Of course they involve deeper mechanics than I was aware of. Had to walk away deflated.

Also, I've been pushing hard on the +XX progress puzzles: [no specifics, just being safe in case you haven't discovered them yet]

Oh yeah man, I am all about the +XX puzzles.

My current score is in this spoiler.

That puzzle above is in the Dye Swamp, yeah. I love the names we are describing for the different parts of the island. I have Japanese Tea Garden, Dye Swamp, Rusty Boat, Quarry, Sun Temple, Jetty, Boathouse, Sawmill, Pink Trees, Orange Grove, Castle, Town, Mountain, Greenhouse, The Start, Tree House, Riverwalk, Bamboo Forest, Nature Trail--the kids and I say things like, "Go to the lonely tree by the top of the Quarry" and can rush over there.

I have to start taking notes about where things are. I have screenshots of some puzzles but I don't remember where they are stashed.

More
04 Feb 2016 19:34 #221733 by Disgustipater

jeb wrote: Oh yeah man, I am all about the +XX puzzles.
My current score is in this spoiler.

My score:

More
05 Feb 2016 08:58 - 05 Feb 2016 10:41 #221771 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic THE WITNESS
Has anyone else seen one of the
yet? Spoiler: there are

They are, uhhh.

Anyway, I'm at the point where I kind of want to head for the endgame, maybe saving some things like
for later. But I have no idea what or where the endgame is (which may be a criticism of the game.)

Mountain spoilers below:

Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 10:41 by Legomancer.

More
05 Feb 2016 10:15 - 05 Feb 2016 10:17 #221784 by jeb
Putting Lego's whole thing in spoiler tags. He's a spoiler named Spoily McSpoilerson.

You are ahead of me in the game, Lego. But not so much farther that I can't give you the heads up. The below spoiler is How To See The End.

Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 10:17 by jeb.

More
05 Feb 2016 10:42 #221788 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic THE WITNESS
I don't want to "see" the end of the game, I want to get to the end of the game.

More
05 Feb 2016 11:02 #221792 by jeb

Legomancer wrote: I don't want to "see" the end of the game, I want to get to the end of the game.

Gotta let me catch up then. ;)

I took the night off, played Ultimate yesterday and it was windy and kicked my ass all over the field. I was out by 8 pm. Whoo, 40s!

Anyway. I am stuck in a couple of spots. The spoiler below talks about some specific puzzles and how I think I should solve them even though I am a failure.

More
06 Feb 2016 04:27 - 06 Feb 2016 04:46 #221848 by Disgustipater
I am now able to flip the switch to trigger what I assume is the ending. I'm not sure if I should. I've read some stuff hinting that there is more after the seeing the credits the first time though (and continuing, not starting over?). Maybe I'll see if I can find some vague info.

jeb wrote:

jeb wrote:

Edit - What a ridiculous looking post.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2016 04:46 by Disgustipater.

More
06 Feb 2016 21:16 #221874 by jeb

Disgustipater wrote: I am now able to flip the switch to trigger what I assume is the ending. I'm not sure if I should. I've read some stuff hinting that there is more after the seeing the credits the first time though (and continuing, not starting over?). Maybe I'll see if I can find some vague info.

The first one is the one I am stuck on and you are a liar! ....OK, I will keep poking at it. I can't believe it's a coincidence though, no effing way. This game is developed like crazy, there's no way they'd have one solution

Disgustipater wrote:

Edit - What a ridiculous looking post.

Heh, yeah, this is a bit much--but it's a puzzle game and it's still so new. I'd feel like a cad for blurting out this and that before it even goes on sale.

More
06 Feb 2016 21:26 #221875 by Disgustipater

jeb wrote: Nudge away, I am stymied by this one.

First things first:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds