October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Request for Assistance: RPG Recommendations

More
29 Mar 2016 18:16 #224994 by Brewmiester
If you get a chance write a report and let us know how it goes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2016 23:45 #230452 by John Myers
So the party happened a few weeks ago and it ended up going really well.

I settled on Dungeon Crawl Classics and showed up with reams of pre-made characters and just handed them out at random. The final count was six players (so 24 characters), two of whom had never role played before.

After spending way to much time trying to come up with and adventure (I was informed that the groom had likely read almost all of the existing material already), I settled on very simple premise where the players started out as prisoners on a ship taking them to a penal colony, after being buffeted into unknown waters by a mysterious storm the ship was attacked by a group of deep ones.

The players escaped quickly (there were a few black smiths in the party, plus I figured the cells weren't very well maintained,. They made their way onto the main deck after recovering their equipment and supplies. There they battled both the invaders and the ship's crew for the remaining life boats.

Once at sea the players made their way towards a mysterious column of smoke they could see off on the horizon. There they discovered an island with hundreds of deep ones in a psychic trance. And the smoke was coming from a bonfire that was cooking a massive levithan-type creature, while a deep one priest attempted to complete a ritual to summon a Great Old One from beneath the waves.

To stop the ritual the players had to defeat the priest and climb to the top of an ancient tower and where a deep one was ringing a bell to summon the Great Old One.

They split into two groups, one group attempted to climb the very non-OSHA compliant tower while the more combat focused characters took on the priest. They succeeded at both goals and stopped The Thing That Should Not Be from fully awakening.

But as soon as the ritual was disrupted the entranced deep ones awoke. The players tried to escape back to their boats, which worked nicely as conclusion for the party and the adventure.

Highlights:
- Two players completely wiped out all four of their characters. One of the first timers didn't lose anyone.
- The adventure worked out well time wise, I think it was about four hours and moved at a steady clip; And everybody had at least one character until the end of the last encounter
- I originally planned to have them hit level one when they got to the island but I changed my mind because everyone seemed to be enjoying the pacing and I didn't want to bog things down with a series of new rules and concepts
- Choice quote of the evening, from one of the first timers to me: "So your job is basically to come up with ways to screw with people? Don't get me wrong I'm into it."
- The same player also dubbed the experience "legit" and said he was rethinking his previous bias against non-electronic games
- The deep ones were able to shoot spines out of their mouths, if you got hit with a spine I gave you a white poker chip. You could spend the chip for one time bonus to a roll, I then gave you a red chip which could also be spent for a better bonus, which was followed by a blue chip. After spending the blue chip you turned into a deep one.
- some of the characters also got white chips when they decided to indulge in what they called "deep one stew" because I Don't Know Why
- two characters turned into deep ones, one was able to make Will save to commit suicide and keep from turning on their team mates. The other was not.
- The host is a writer for Cnet and she wrote an article with more details on the party, which you can read here .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, dave, Gary Sax, dysjunct, Columbob, Brewmiester, boothwah, SuperflyPete, wadenels, JEM

More
18 Jul 2016 23:54 - 18 Jul 2016 23:57 #230455 by SuperflyPete
Strange Aeons, the best of miniature gaming and RPG lite. Or, just run Chaosium Call Of Cthulhu RPG.

OOPS! Didn't see the last post.

Sounds like a great time! You had me at "non-OSHA compliant"
Last edit: 18 Jul 2016 23:57 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Myers

More
19 Jul 2016 22:57 #230508 by John Myers

Sounds like a great time!

It was! I even managed to stay coherent after the whisky tasting!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds