October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Dark Souls III Official Thread

More
24 Jul 2018 23:01 #278337 by Gary Sax
Yeah, looking back on the game I still think it's my favorite. The lore is too intentionally inscrutable, taking that too far, but the visual design was still awesome and I think the combat is better than ever---the faster pace and lessons they learned from bloodborne really help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2018 10:02 #278506 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: I think it's lame that one of the four lords of cinder fights was a gimmick fight.

I got to this boss, got the sword I was obviously supposed to use, but I couldn't figure out how to fully activate it, so I watched a quick video on how to activate it, and the first comment on the video was pretty hilarious:

"Are you kidding me? I spent the whole fight chipping away at him with my sword. Took me like, 25 minutes to kill him. Had to bash him so hard to get the chance to stab in the head for a few hundred hits of damage...FML."

Now to figure out how to avoid Aldrich's hail of arrows...

More
31 Jul 2018 15:36 #278849 by Disgustipater
Aldrich turned out to not be too much of a problem for me. I had way more trouble with the Dancer. After a while I decided to give him a break and went to explore the Smouldering Lake. That place was like a maze and kind of frustrating, but I cleared everything out. The Old Demon King turned out to be pretty difficult as well, as my chosen weapons didn’t do a whole of damage to him. So I blew all my boss souls to level up my Intelligence enough to use a Great Soul Arrow and I just continuously ran away from him while shooting him with magic. Easy.

Then I returned to The Dancer and calmed down, took my time, and was able to beat him. My character is slowly morphing from the parry shield and dagger into using a heavy sword and shield, my main preference. I’ve been using the target shield for so long that I keep forgetting that blocking is a viable tactic when using the Dragon Crest Shield. Which is what I used against the Dancer.

On to Lothric Castle, which was pretty straightforward. That crawling frost knight downstairs is super fast and lethal and I just ended up cheesing him. I lured him out into the moat area under the bridge the two dragons guard, then took off running and looped around back on top, leaving him stuck down there, then managed to get the abyss-infected guys to kill him. I’m a genius. Just need to confront the boss now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
31 Jul 2018 15:42 #278850 by Gary Sax
Dancer is one of my favorite bosses. The patterns of her attacks are totally fair but she has this weird, sweeping, elegant pattern to her attacks that throws you off. Great souls fight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
08 Sep 2018 19:57 #281302 by Disgustipater
Still working my way through this. I'm at the final boss, but I decided to do the Ashes of Ariandel DLC first. Sister Friede took me forever, but I finally got her. Then I moved on to the Ringed City DLC, and I just beat the Demon Prince, so on to the Ringed City proper. Been trying to kill the Nameless King in Archdragon Peak off and on between stuff. Slowly getting closer.

In other news, Bloodborne finally made it to Playstation Now, so it is playable on a PC. Early reports seem to indicate that the latency isn't really noticeable. I'm pretty burned out on Souls right now, so it'll have to wait a while.

More
08 Sep 2018 20:46 #281303 by Gary Sax
Yeah, the Ringed City fights were just really overly tough. I ended up just cooping them.

More
21 Sep 2018 21:21 #282089 by Disgustipater
All done. I liked the Ringed City DLC. Slave Knight Gael took some time but I slowly worked up and beat him. Then back to the Soul of Cinder. Murdered him. I backed up a slightly earlier save so I could get the second ending by murdering him again (with help on the first attempt).

Then on to the Nameless King. Something just clicked for me and he went down pretty easy. I decided to skip Midir the dragon, the optional boss in the Ringed City. I heard he wasn’t much fun and after a few attempts, decided it wasn’t worth my time.

At this point I moved on to NG+ and blazed through the game to follow Anri’s questline and get the third ending. You can get through the game pretty damn fast on NG+ when you don’t bother picking anything up and just do the main line path, and summoning help for the bosses. I don’t think I had to fight any boss more than twice. I ended up with 1.5 million souls at the end, since I stopped leveling myself so as not to out level potential help. I was already a bit overleveled for help, so except for a handful of bosses, I had to rely on NPC summons most of the time. 115 hours; not bad.

Playstation Now now lets you download games instead of just streaming, so one of these days I’ll drop $30 for a 3 month sub and play Bloodborne. Not any time soon though.

More
21 Sep 2018 23:21 #282094 by Gary Sax
Bloodborne is well worth it.

Yeah, I got to newgame++ bc you need to to get the final rings and it dies go fast! Blowing through bosses you used to flail against is very satisfying!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds