October 09, 2023
2490 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

NES Classic Edition- SOLD OUT

More
12 Nov 2016 21:49 #238206 by OldHippy

metalface13 wrote: but yeah NES games were always better than Sega :P

Hey! You better watch your back pal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2016 21:57 #238207 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha! I am actually playing the PS3 Sega Genesis collection with my kids right now.

They are cracking up about Alex Kidd..."this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen!" We just laughing at Altered Beast a few minutes ago- "kick him in the knee!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
12 Nov 2016 22:10 - 12 Nov 2016 22:16 #238209 by OldHippy

Michael Barnes wrote: Ha ha! I am actually playing the PS3 Sega Genesis collection with my kids right now.

They are cracking up about Alex Kidd..."this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen!" We just laughing at Altered Beast a few minutes ago- "kick him in the knee!"

Is it the Alex Kidd with the paper rock scissor battles? That one kind of blows. Altered Beast is.... well it's more of a novelty game really. But Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi 3 are masterpieces. Afterburner and Space Harrier too in some ways.

The difference between them starts on day one for me. On my Coleco Vision I had Donkey Kong - Nintendo and Zaxxon - Sega. You can see a real design difference immediately. Both companies are very much a part of my childhood.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2016 22:16 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
12 Nov 2016 22:13 #238210 by Frohike
We've been playing the hell out of it. The kids' favorites so far are Mega Man 2, Super Mario 3, Metroid, and Zelda. I've run some of these on an emulator on Wii homebrew, but my son was really taken by the package: the mini console, the controller, the easy setup. I've tried out the CRT filter and it's pretty good, even emulating some dot crawl and warping, but it's mostly a novelty. The visual fidelity (unfiltered) looks better to me than the unofficial emulated versions I've played but I would need to do a side by side comparison to make sure. It definitely looks better than what I've played on Virtual Console. Much brighter and sharper, and scaled properly. It's finally displaying these games with the sheen that my nostalgic brain has applied to my memory of them, even though I know that what I experienced as a kid was something much closer to the CRT version. I'm surprised that the emulation does capture the framerate dips and sprite flicker in the same places that I remember, strengthing the illusion that I just fired up my old NES.

Overall, this was well worth the $60. I seriously hope they're considering a SNES version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave

More
12 Nov 2016 23:04 - 12 Nov 2016 23:07 #238212 by Mr. White
(deleted an opinion no one asked for)
Last edit: 12 Nov 2016 23:07 by Mr. White.

More
12 Nov 2016 23:05 #238213 by Colorcrayons
"Wibe fum your gwabe!"

More
12 Nov 2016 23:33 #238216 by Michael Barnes

Mr. White wrote: (deleted an opinion no one asked for)

OMG WHERE DID THE INTERNET GO????

More
16 Nov 2016 11:24 #238564 by fastbilly1

Mr. White wrote: so this NES thing has better emulation then these...is that the ticket?

Very much so. ATgames mostly produces poor products. Sure you get a couple of great games in a small machine, but the emulation is spotty at best. Graphically you may have slowdown, but audio wise you are in for a shitstorm. The Genesis/Megadrive used the legendary Yamaha YM2612 sound chip, which put out stellar notes and in stereo. The ATgames machines initially used NES on a chip globtops modified to run Genesis code, but now run a very old version of an Android Genesis emulator on a capable but outdated arm cpu. And with ATgames they will give you 80 games, ten known Genesis games and seventy SMS like titles.

While the NES classic was not designed by Nintendo, it is held to a high standard. And even though I have an NES and an AVS hooked up, I still want one. More specifically I really want the controllers. New Nintendo Made NES Controllers released in 2016. They will be usable until I die.

More
16 Nov 2016 12:19 #238572 by Michael Barnes
Of course I couldn't resist opening it.

It is WAY better than those other retro consoles. It looks and feels totally legit, ESPECIALLY the controller, which is just about a perfect replica. The menus, filter options, manuals, etc. make this a total package and yes, the ports are better than VC.

The SMB titles look stunning...but you can put that CRT filter on and remember the bad old days if you want.

Some of the game choices are stupid- Pac-Man and Galaga weren't really known for being great NES games and the first Final Fantasy is another wasted slot. Should have had Bionic Commando, RC Pro Am and Blaster Master instead of those three.

Got stuck in playing Tecmo Bowl for a while.

Apparently Wal mart is putting up "limited quantities" every day at 5pm EST this week.

More
16 Nov 2016 12:48 #238576 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic NES Classic Edition- SOLD OUT
Pay (handclap emoji) For (handclap emoji) Quality (handclap emoji)

Sad to hear RC PRO AM isn't on there. At least it doesn't have shit like RENEGADE and SLALOM. There were some dogs back then. I want one of these. I do. I don't need anyone to tell me there's a Rasberry Pi-powered briquette with a MadCatz controller that's "just as good." It's not. This is the real deal. And I. Want. A. Classic. SNES. Edition.

More
16 Nov 2016 13:25 #238578 by fastbilly1
Sadly RC ProAM is Rare, it wont ever show up on a Nintendo console again - it is on the Xbone though.
But if you like Blaster Master you will need a 3ds next year:
inticreates.com/blaster-master-zero-3ds/

More
16 Nov 2016 17:23 #238610 by Space Ghost
The first Final Fantasy is my favorite, so I am glad it is on there. Also, Zelda II is my favorite Zelda, so I am glad it is there well. Guess I will be trolling Walmart this week

More
16 Nov 2016 17:35 #238612 by Michael Barnes
I had one in cart at Walmart but I guess it doesn't lock it in until you actually pay.

More
17 Nov 2016 17:11 #238695 by Space Ghost
Missed again -- ridiculous really. I don't know how to time refreshing the page any better than I did.

I should just drive to an outlying rural area and see if I can find one...

More
17 Nov 2016 17:24 #238697 by Msample
So is this a temporary shortage, or is this some sort of limited edition thing ?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds