October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Mordheim: Warband Skirmish

More
25 May 2017 18:08 #249105 by Michael Barnes
So this goofy little Mordheim game showed up unannounced on IOS...I guess it is also on Steam and Android. It's $3.99 and I took a chance on it.

It's actually really fun, but it is STUPENDOUSLY opaque. Like, I really don't know if the warband I am fighting is AI controlled or if it is another online player! The tutorial barely exists- which is actually kind of refreshing in a day and age when tutorials go on and on and on and on. I'm not even sure how much of the actual rules are in the game...you've got WS/BS and so forth, but they are percentage numbers. There's hiding, noise, cover, stuns, etc. but virtually none of it is really explained. Good thing I just kind of now.

The gameplay is simple, but it works well for mobile. You take your dudes out (three different mercenary groups to start with, I picked the boring Reiklanders but I wish I had done the Marienburg dudes). You buy them lame, crappy weapons and hats to start with. Then you go out and play the simple turn-based battle, picking up some wyrdstone along the way if you can. If you win, you sell the wyrdstone and get money to buy slightly less lame/crappy gear or recruit new dudes at the tavern. Your guys can get injured, develop psychological issues (I've got a falchion-wielding guy that frenzies, which is pretty great), and die forever.

There's a ton of skills you can get, lots of equipment...doesn't seem like there are that many different maps, but I've played maybe 8 battles and haven't really cared.

But it is weird, the warbands you fight are the names of other players'...but it just doesn't say if you are playing a multiplayer game or not! It's crazy! Then some of the missions have a difficulty, which I _think_ means that it's against AI. I don't know! It's tearing me apart!

The art style is a little doofy, it's cel-shaded and they use...comic fonts. not comic sans, mind. But comic fonts. I don't understand that at all.

But yeah. Dude customizing, decent turn based fights, looting stuff...good times. Well worth $3.99. WAY better than the PS4 Mordheim game. I guess they are adding Skaven, Undead, Devoted of Sigmar, and Witch Hunters at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2017 20:07 #249107 by Jackwraith
The Horned Rat commands me to wait for the true children...

More
25 May 2017 20:08 #249108 by Mr. White
I thought this was _another_ new GW release announcement.

*puts wallet away...*
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
26 May 2017 11:35 #249136 by Michael Barnes
I know, I just have my wallet on quickdraw in case they announce something for, like, next week.

More
26 May 2017 13:11 #249144 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Mordheim: Warband Skirmish
I tried it last night and got a little hooked, which doesn't mean you should.
The biggest problem here is that it is unfinished. There's no multiplayer as of yet and a distinct lack of content (few maps, few warbands, few objectives, not enough equipment). If the developers want this to have even a niche success they need to work hard and deliver regular updates.
Than there's a looming prospect of IAPs. Like healing or reviving your duderinos or, even worse, buying better mercenaries with real cash. This is disgusting and probably not a good idea for this kind of game (considering it is already premium and the new warbands will cost money). I don't have anything against paying for new content, but not for cheating.

However, the game itself is solid and, if properly developed, could be exactly what I'm looking for from a Mordheim adaptation. Like Barnes said, it is way better than the one on the consoles. Matches are quick, UI is super-clean, dudes move at good speed (although they look like they're limping), the rules feel right, the maps feel right size. It is easy on the eye, too, and I like their art direction. Dudes suffer injuries and die, but they also gain new skills.. I kinda get attached to them.

Bottom line. Mordheim (or Necromunda, or Shadow Wars) is perfect for a video game adaptation, and specifically on a mobile device. We have all these CCGs on tablet, why shouldn't we have a good miniature skirmish?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds