October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Magic: The Gathering Arena

More
03 Oct 2017 10:18 #255156 by metalface13
If you haven't heard, Wizards of the Coast is developing a new digital version of Magic to compete against Hearthstone. I played Hearthstone a little bit when it first came out, thought it was really slick and liked the ease of play, but just couldn't get into it the same way that I do Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Beta sign-ups for Magic Arena are going on right now with the beta to launch in November, sounds like it's PC only for now, so that rules me out.

More info:
magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena
www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/09/magic...-live-stream-reveal/
www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/09/magic...november-no-trading/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2017 13:34 #255176 by Colorcrayons
It would be nice to see a ps4 release, since tthe never did anything for magic on that platform.

Isn't it being programmed in unity? Seems a shame to not offer it on every platform and take advantage of unity.

Regardless, early reports from hascon says its a very slick program. I wish I could beta this.

More
03 Oct 2017 15:02 #255179 by Stonecutter
People play with their library and graveyard to the left???

More
03 Oct 2017 15:23 - 03 Oct 2017 15:33 #255182 by Black Barney
I'd rather we call this Magic Hearthstone instead of Arena, it looks and feels identical. The attack animations are a hilarious knock-off.

I'm really looking forward to it myself, I just pray it comes to Xbox One. I'm really worried consoles might get completely locked out. The initial release is PC only. The good news is that we do know it's written in Unity. This engine is supported by quite a lot of platforms, including Windows, OSX, Linux, Browser plugins, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, XBox One, XBox 360, PS4, PS3, PSP Vita, Playstation Mobile, WiiU, Wii, some Smart TV's and also supports VR.

I can't wait to play Limited format in this too. No rarity restrictions means I probably won't enjoy standard much, but I'll try to play this a lot if I can. I'm terrible at building decks.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2017 15:33 by Black Barney.

More
03 Oct 2017 16:14 #255186 by metalface13
If they're going after Hearthstone then it has got to be planned for tablets and mobile at the very least beyond PC. It's funny how much emphasis Wizards is putting on making this an enjoyable stream experience, like watching other people play the game is more important than playing and enjoying it yourself. But I guess that's the video game world we live in now.

Get off my lawn you kids!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Oct 2017 16:17 #255187 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Magic: The Gathering Arena
100% I could actually get into this if it's super slick and it's more complex than hearthstone. Do they talk about what the purchase model will be in any of those materials? I only went to the official site.

More
03 Oct 2017 16:19 #255188 by metalface13

Gary Sax wrote: 100% I could actually get into this if it's super slick and it's more complex than hearthstone. Do they talk about what the purchase model will be in any of those materials? I only went to the official site.

It's supposed to be free to play. That's all I know off the top of my head.

More
03 Oct 2017 16:21 #255189 by metalface13
From Magic Arena's FAQ

Q. How much will the game cost?

A. MTG Arena will be available to download with no fee and is a free-to-play game. Players looking to enhance their game experience will have the opportunity to do so through play rewards and in-game purchases, but purchases are not required to access the full depth of authentic Magic gameplay.

More
03 Oct 2017 16:21 #255190 by Gary Sax
Cool. I could see buying packs and expansion sets. I trust Magic's development team more than I trust Hearthstone, tbh.

More
03 Oct 2017 16:35 #255192 by Shellhead
In other words, your bank account will be a game component, just like in any CCG. You can just play Arena for free, but when you get tired of getting your ass beat, you will buy access to more cards.

More
03 Oct 2017 16:43 #255194 by Gary Sax
Not much different than physical magic, but I don't have to have a place to put the cards.

More
03 Oct 2017 16:57 #255197 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Magic: The Gathering Arena
It looks shitty. Are we allowed to say it looks shitty? Because it does.

I was in the Beta for MTGO (back when it was modo.exe) and that was fine for the time. But this looks like their DotP product, and that is infamously clumsy and slow. You want card games to be snappy. MTGO is snappy because using a mouse is snappy. HEARTHSTONE is snappy because there are only like three things to point at/drag to. This is going to built with finger dragging in mind, but require MTGO's target-rich environment and end up clunky and "thick."

More
03 Oct 2017 17:06 #255198 by Black Barney
I'm surprised no one has brought this up, but did you guys notice what they've done to clear up real estate to deal with the target-rich board? Not only have thei removed the lore section of the card, but you're not really playing with magic cards here. Also, the artwork has been compromised quite a bit which I feel is one of the best things about Magic.

The developper is different than Duels, Jeb. I don't think they've gone with Stainless this time.

Magic is a much, much better and richer game than Hearthstone so I'm really optimistic. And they will put limited formats which is perfect for those of us that don't want to buy Standard-competitive deck.

but I don't want to ever play a mobile-version of that. i don't want to use my finger.

More
03 Oct 2017 22:40 #255216 by metalface13
Yeah, this is being developed in-house by Wizards of the Coast I believe, so hard to tell how it will turn out.

I did notice the ditched the card lore, probably a smart move but it does make the cards feel a little lifeless.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds