October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Zelda Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey

More
30 Oct 2017 12:09 #256585 by Mr. White
Fat chance either of these unseat Splatoon 2, but given the need for a gift with the upcoming holiday...which of these two is the one to go with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2017 12:19 #256587 by Michael Barnes
Go to Target this week. Buy 2 get 1 free. Buy BOTW/Splatoon 2 and get Mario Odyssey for free.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
30 Oct 2017 12:21 - 30 Oct 2017 12:31 #256588 by Mr. White
I wasn't clear...we already have Splatoon 2. The reason we own a Switch.

I do like the idea of two for one though...so what goes with Zelda:BotW and Mario Odyssey? Arms?
Last edit: 30 Oct 2017 12:31 by Mr. White.

More
30 Oct 2017 12:27 #256589 by hotseatgames
I haven't played Arms, but it seems like a bit of a one trick pony.... you might consider Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. I'm enjoying it.

More
30 Oct 2017 12:32 #256591 by Mr. White
I think that Pokemon/Tekken mashup may be the third title...

Still, you know there's a part of me thinking I need not get sucked into a 2 + 1 sale and just buy 1. If I go that route...Mario or Zelda?

More
30 Oct 2017 12:43 #256592 by Michael Barnes
I have both but I'm seeing if I can hold out to Christmas to play Odyssey with the kids. I probably won't make it. But I'm pretty sure it is solid gold. Even without playing it, I would probably choose it over BOTW. BOTW is an utterly magnificent, beautiful game that I am just not that into. I'd honestly rather play A Link Between Worlds or Wind Waker again. I like the traditional Zelda format better. And I'm just not into any kind of crafting.

Arms is pretty fun, but I think it would be more satisfying and resonant as a $25 download title. Very unique, very Nintendo.

Pokken is FUN. I don't have the Switch version, but we played the Wii U one for a while. It's a very simple, easy to play fighting game. Closer to Smash in terms of complexity. If your kids are into Pokemon, it's pretty much a sure bet.

The Mario Rabbids game is BRILLIANT. So, so good. It is a Mario turn based Skirmish game. But also nonviolent!

The other titles I was thinking about for ours were Mario Kart 8 and Bomberman, but we have the Wii U of the former and they play the latter on PS4 so probably not on those.

DOOM is coming out for it...which I will actually rebuy even though I have it on PS4. Because DOOM is probably the best shooter I've ever played.

More
30 Oct 2017 13:46 #256597 by fastbilly1
Mario is a perfect mix of 64 era collectathon and Galaxy style puzzles.
Zelda is a throw back to the original with the ability to go anywhere at any time.

Both are excellent games, you honestly cannot go wrong with either. The only thing that Mario does better than Zelda is that you can play Mario coop. Player two plays the hat and they can run off and attack enemies or collect coins without fear of dying. Perfect for a young kid to play with a parent.

Arms is a hoot and one of my more played Switch games. But you do need two sets of joycons to play it. With the "recent" adding of remapping, the game took off in my local competitive scene. But it will never make a huge impact and it is very Nintendo making Virtual On.

More
30 Oct 2017 13:57 #256599 by bfkiller
I haven't played the Switch one, but Fire Emblem games are pretty consistently high quality and fun strategy RPG games. One to look into for a freebie.

More
30 Oct 2017 14:37 #256602 by fastbilly1

bfkiller wrote: I haven't played the Switch one, but Fire Emblem games are pretty consistently high quality and fun strategy RPG games. One to look into for a freebie.

The switch one is a Musou game, so Dynasty Warriors with Fire Emblem characters
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
30 Oct 2017 15:26 #256613 by phandec

Michael Barnes wrote: Go to Target this week. Buy 2 get 1 free. Buy BOTW/Splatoon 2 and get Mario Odyssey for free.

Sadly, the Target sale specifically excludes all Switch games, which is why I won't be buying anything during it.

More
30 Oct 2017 16:17 #256622 by Michael Barnes
Whaaaaaaaaaat? I swear the ad shows Switch titles????

More
30 Oct 2017 16:19 #256623 by Josh Look
Mario, 100%.

More
31 Oct 2017 13:25 #256710 by Michael Barnes
I gave in and played Mario Odyssey last night for about two hours. Played again for an hour and a half this morning

No contest. SMO over BOTW.

SMO is, speaking without hyperbole, in that "best game of all time" strata even after just the short time I've had with it. Once again, it has that special magic that you can only get in a Nintendo game. It's almost too perfect. The design is impeccable, and the way it signals you to do something, look at things, or explore in areas _without telling you anything_ is just amazing. It is like the first part of world 1-1, where the only tutorial you need is a Goomba, a ? box, and a couple of blocks. The story is fun and silly, the hat gimmick is GREAT GREAT GREAT. Especially when you throw it at a photorealistic (!!?!?!) T-Rex and you possess it...and it has a big stupid moustache on it. The world design and character design so far has just been mind-blowingly good. And the way it incorporates some 8-Bit nostalgia segments is just beautiful and genius.

It feels VERY much like Mario 64, it has that same sense of free-ranging proto-open world design sense. But there is no map with tasks on it, no vantage points you have to find, or any crap like that. It's all organically and unobtrusively presented.

I have some reservations about BOTW, but zero about SMO.

More
31 Oct 2017 13:28 #256712 by Mr. White
Sold.
Mario and Pokemon Fighter for Christmas.

More
31 Oct 2017 17:46 #256730 by Black Barney
They’re both incredible, two of the best games ever. I think Zelda is the nuts but even so, I’d have to recommend Mario over it. Make sure to play both.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds