Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A place for boardgame traitors.

TOPIC: Sword of the stars

Sword of the stars 20 May 2018 15:33 #273734

Anyone have thoughts on this game? Board Game/card game version is coming soon.
  • WadeMonnig
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 185
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sword of the stars 20 May 2018 15:41 #273737

Is that the real time space 4x? It's really well thought of, I tried the demo and it didn't do too much for me... I prefer the pace and zoomed out Paradox take on strategy these days tbh.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shelf Toad King
  • Thank you received: 3354

Sword of the stars 20 May 2018 16:13 #273742

I played the original a little but no the sequel.

Not a massive fan though I see the appeal. Sword of the Stars was a lot more focused than most Space 4X games. There were three races and they didn't have much customization. The game was a lot tighter than most 4x's a bit like starcraft of 4x games, so those who understood the game well couple play it competitively and enjoy its nuances and strategy but it didn't offer the sprawling canvas of other titles.

Sword of the stars 20 May 2018 19:40 #273752

Space 4Xs are very much my “thing” when it comes to PC gaming. I don’t really play anything else on my PC. I put a good number of hours into SotS years ago. It had it’s place back then, as it was sort of the most stripped down, streamlined 4X since the first Master of Orion. But even then, it had this thing where each race had a different method of travel, and the learning curve on some of them was a little clunky. It also had a frustrating camera system. I don’t think the game had to be in 3D to do what it was doing, which makes it a hard flaw to overlook.

Nowadays theres very little reason to play SotS. Endless Space and Stars In Shadow are by far better options for the genre for when you’re looking for something less involved.

Gary, it’s turn based with real time battles, like the Total War series.

Duke, are you thinking of Sins of a Solar Empire? That had 3 races, SotS had 6. Sins was real time, might be what Gary is thinking of, too.
  • Josh Look
  • Heretic
  • Thank you received: 1600
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.
Last Edit: 20 May 2018 19:46 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Sword of the stars 21 May 2018 09:11 #273798

That's exactly what I was thinking of! Thanks!
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shelf Toad King
  • Thank you received: 3354
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds