October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Dark Souls: Remastered Thread

More
24 Jul 2018 10:13 #278270 by CapnHowdy
I didn't see a thread dedicated to the first Dark Souls (maybe I didn't go back far enough, maybe I'm lazy) -- so here it is.

I'm playing through the Remastered edition -- I played through the first one twice.

I really love this game/series. It's one of my favorite games ever.

The design, gameplay, the multiple levels you must master -- even this third time of playing through I'm learning/discovering new stuff.

I have a friend that is just playing through the first time, so I'm often comparing notes/his experience -- and I kinda wish that I was playing it through for the first time again :)

I'm playing through with a str/dex build, I've got my Claymore +10 and Quelaag's Furysword, and just acquired the Lordvessel. I've grinding of lately, now at level 97.

Man, I love this game!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2018 10:20 - 24 Jul 2018 10:20 #278272 by Gary Sax
I have weirdly never played the first one, despite playing D2+3 and Bloodborne.

I found the first game quite hostile, more hostile than the other ones, in its initial areas. Which is funny because I'm told overall it's much easier than the others.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2018 10:20 by Gary Sax.

More
24 Jul 2018 10:31 #278276 by Matt Thrower

Gary Sax wrote: I found the first game quite hostile, more hostile than the other ones, in its initial areas. Which is funny because I'm told overall it's much easier than the others.

Given that Bloodborne makes it very awkward for new players to level up and then throws the toughest of all the early bosses at them at the end of level 1, I cannot understand how you think DS is more hostile :)

More
24 Jul 2018 11:05 #278283 by CapnHowdy
I didn't finish Bloodborne -- I think I will go back after this present DS playthrough.

I was a little disappointed with Bloodborne -- it felt like "Dark Souls Lite". It didn't have the vast array of things you can find...

For example, one of the things I like about the DS series is you find all kinds of shit. Then you have to figure out what to do with it based on a small blurb description. "Is this helpful? Where can I use it? Is this the item I need to get through/past ______? Or do I just throw it in my junk pack with the rest of the 74 broken swords that I have?"

I missed that in Bloodborne.

More
25 Jul 2018 17:07 #278374 by CapnHowdy
Here's something, though --

The other day I was playing, about ready to go into a boss fight. Had a bunch of souls with me, so I decided to slip on a Ring of Sacrifice (lose nothing upon death).

Well, I died. When I came back -- I had lost my souls and humanity! And the ring was gone?

I was flabbergasted. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

More
25 Jul 2018 21:00 #278390 by Gary Sax
That is super weird. Sounds like a bug. Never happened to me...

More
26 Jul 2018 06:34 #278398 by ThirstyMan
Doesn't it break the ring on death?

More
26 Jul 2018 09:21 #278413 by Disgustipater

CapnHowdy wrote: The other day I was playing, about ready to go into a boss fight. Well, I died. When I came back -- I had lost my souls and humanity! And the ring was gone?

Were you fighting Seath and did you get cursed? Because they don't work if you are killed from being cursed.

ThirstyMan wrote: Doesn't it break the ring on death?

Yes, you are supposed to lose the ring, but not all your souls or humanity.

More
26 Jul 2018 13:45 #278435 by CapnHowdy

Disgustipater wrote:

CapnHowdy wrote: Were you fighting Seath and did you get cursed? Because they don't work if you are killed from being cursed.

Negative. I was not cursed. It was really bizarre.

More
29 Oct 2018 14:54 #284908 by Hex Sinister
I just cheese-killed the red wyvern with sorcery and arrows and don't feel too bad about it. Losing my 7 humanity to a treant shortly afterwards did make me grit my teeth though.

My items are still shitty. I got the dragon sword and upgraded my estoc to +5. Switched from chainmail back to my starting armor because it was too heavy.

One thing I can't figure out is what the benefit of being human? It's been a year since I played DSII and it seems like it was different but I can't remember.

More
29 Oct 2018 15:14 - 29 Oct 2018 15:25 #284909 by Disgustipater
It’s very different from DSII. Being human lets you summon phantoms, be invaded by both NPC and player phantoms, and you can kindle bonfires.

Edit -
and I believe it also raises your item discovery a bit.

Looks like that (along with a bunch of other stuff) is based on the number of humanity you hold, not actually being human.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2018 15:25 by Disgustipater.

More
29 Oct 2018 15:31 #284910 by Gary Sax
The first rule of dark souls is not to feel bad about any cheesing in any way. The enemies can be unfair, so can you.

More
30 Oct 2018 09:48 #284934 by CapnHowdy
Totally.

Exploit that game whenever you can.

Like when fighting the hydra in the Darkroot Basin -- stand on the corpse laying in the shallow water.

Because the game doesn't hold back its cheap shots :)

I'm at level 175, well into my way into New Game +.

Here's my question for veterans -- any reason to collect all the items a second time? I believe in DS 2 (and beyond?) some items collected are "[Ring] +2" when collected a second time. I don't think that is true with DS 1.

So far I've been breezing through levels, not really checking every corner for all the stuff I collected in the first playthrough.

(My end goal is to max out all the achievements)

Thoughts?

More
30 Oct 2018 10:08 #284938 by Disgustipater

CapnHowdy wrote: Here's my question for veterans -- any reason to collect all the items a second time? I believe in DS 2 (and beyond?) some items collected are "[Ring] +2" when collected a second time. I don't think that is true with DS 1.

So far I've been breezing through levels, not really checking every corner for all the stuff I collected in the first playthrough.

(My end goal is to max out all the achievements)

Thoughts?

DS1 doesn't have a Collect All Rings achievement, so that shouldn't matter. If you already got an item the first time (and still have it), you should be fine. The hard part will be maxing out covenant allegiances to collect rewards for each "Collect All [X]". And it seems like the Knight's Honor achievement requires a minimum of three playthroughs, mainly to get all the boss weapons.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds