October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

FAT Steam Group

More
17 Mar 2009 00:48 #23678 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Ok, didn't see any golden gifty Steam stuff, but I bought and am DLing the TF2 game. Should be done by morning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2009 09:49 #23681 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Thought I'd chime in with an update. It took an hour or so to install Boot Camp and XP. But almost two weeks later and I'm still being screwed around by XPs wireless networking and doing trial and error troubleshooting. (The wireless window says not connected or limited, while the text says connected; the tiny icon bottom right show no connection; IE works so I must have a connection. But it never lasts for long.)
And in the meantime the 30 day activation clock is ticking...

More
17 Mar 2009 17:19 #23723 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Played left 4 dead last night, meh, TF2 kills it I must say.

More
17 Mar 2009 18:05 #23732 by Thaadd
Well, if you're still around in an hour or so, I will be home. Trying to figure out if I have plans on Drunken Fake Irish Day, but the game is all downloaded now. Not so much as launched it...

Dumb question. Does Steam have built in audio? My friends who I play Civ 4 with (Joe Richtor, among others!) all have accounts on a private Teamspeak server, so I have not have not had to really investigate.

More
17 Mar 2009 18:31 #23734 by hacksword
Replied by hacksword on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Thaadd wrote:

Dumb question. Does Steam have built in audio? My friends who I play Civ 4 with (Joe Richtor, among others!) all have accounts on a private Teamspeak server, so I have not have not had to really investigate.

I think you can set up an audio chat room through the instant messaging interface, but I haven't tried this. I don't know if you can use it while in-game. So far I use the game's own voice comm., or sometimes Ventrilo.

More
17 Mar 2009 18:48 #23737 by Mr Skeletor
Thaadd wrote:

Well, if you're still around in an hour or so, I will be home. Trying to figure out if I have plans on Drunken Fake Irish Day, but the game is all downloaded now. Not so much as launched it...

I'm at work (you don't think I post from home do you?)
Its 10:00 am and I am normally home about 5ish, but I might go play age of conan at a friends house tonight instead. I'm on the fence, recomend me a course of action.

What do you mean by built in audio? It has sounds that come out of your speakers, and if you hit 'v' (or is it 'c'?) and move your mouth you can talk to your teammates.

More
17 Mar 2009 19:56 #23747 by Notahandle
Mr Skeletor wrote:
"Played left 4 dead last night, meh, TF2 kills it I must say."
I checked out TF2 when Bullwinkle mentioned that it was half price. Based on their video adverts I thought the maps were too limited and some of the characters were too laughable and cartoony. Twelve players a team also put me off as I figure that pretty much guarantees a few idiots.

More
17 Mar 2009 20:02 #23749 by Mr Skeletor
Notahandle wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:
I checked out TF2 when Bullwinkle mentioned that it was half price. Based on their video adverts I thought the maps were too limited and some of the characters were too laughable and cartoony. Twelve players a team also put me off as I figure that pretty much guarantees a few idiots.

Did you play it?

More
18 Mar 2009 10:42 #23785 by Joe_Richter
Replied by Joe_Richter on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Most steam games have builtin voicechat, much like Vent or TeamSpeak, but it's often buggy so I normally use TeamSpeak whenever I play something like Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead with friends. I've actually got my own private TS server if anyone needs to use it.

More
18 Mar 2009 11:40 #23788 by Thaadd
I see 'Skeletor has gone offline 1 hour ago' when I wake up. I'll see if I can get to bed at a reasonable time, and wake up earlier tomorrow. I think you're 14? hours ahead....

More
18 Mar 2009 12:55 - 18 Mar 2009 12:55 #23792 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Notahandle wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

As far as TF2 goes, the game moves way too fast for the maps to be larger and there's few worries about friendly fire incidents, so the worry about idiots is miniscule. It's not Counterstrike.

L4D, on the other hand, requires teamwork if you want to win. That's better off played with a team you know.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2009 12:55 by Dogmatix.

More
18 Mar 2009 15:00 #23808 by Notahandle
Mr Skeletor wrote:
"Did you play it?"
No, my decision was based solely on their video adverts.

Dogmatix wrote:
"As far as TF2 goes, the game moves way too fast for the maps to be larger and there's few worries about friendly fire incidents, so the worry about idiots is miniscule. It's not Counterstrike.
L4D, on the other hand, requires teamwork if you want to win. That's better off played with a team you know."
So presumably the maps get repetitive, but the character roles keep it interesting. However, I'm definitely put off by it's cartoon nature, so I can't see my getting this one.

More
18 Mar 2009 17:44 #23837 by Mr Skeletor
Disagree Dog, TF2 needs teamwork to win too. If one team is aiding each other they will fucking steamroll.
But yeah, since there is no FF one dickhead wont ruin it.

So presumably the maps get repetitive, but the character roles keep it interesting. However, I'm definitely put off by it's cartoon nature, so I can't see my getting this one.

What? How are the maps repetetive? L4D is way more repetetive with only 2 game modes (campaign and vs). And each map is essentially the same, move to safe house with zombie swarms and the 3 super zombies appearing regularly, with the occasional tank and witch appearing. Its a good game but man do I feel like I have seen it all.
TF2 on the other hand just always seems so fresh.

But yeah, if you don't like the cartoony art not much you can do about that. I love it though, very loony tunes. The sniper is even an Aussie who calls people "Wanker".

More
19 Mar 2009 08:49 #23880 by Notahandle
I hadn't thought about the game modes, but I remember TF2 had Capture the Flag and other objectives. My impression from a couple of plays of L4d and the video ads (and maybe a couple of the review links, come to think of it), was that L4d has a larger map area than TF2. It seems rather soon for you to feel that you've seen it all, but then I'm not much of a computer gamer, so I don't know whether this is typical for all of them or just for steam ones. Mind you, I wasn't exactly taking much note of the route in L4d, being rather more concerned with shooting hordes of zombies!

What I did like about TF2 was the styling of the characters; I thought it great design to extend it to the voices by using so many different accents. A pity we didn't have this conversation on the day TF2 was half price; with several of you praising it I'd've been more likely to take a chance. Trouble is, the more I buy individually, the closer I get to their bundle price. In which case I might as well buy the bundle - but I don't really want to play that many computer games!

More
19 Mar 2009 11:29 #23896 by Joe_Richter
Replied by Joe_Richter on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Ohh no, it's real easy to see the entirety of Left 4 Dead real quickly. Each of the 4 maps are completely linear, there's no character classes at all, and there's only 4 real weapons. Infected mode adds a little variety playing the infected classes, but they're all one trick ponies, and infected only has 2 maps, both of which are from the normal mode anyway. I'm real surprised valve haven't had regular paid content coming out for Left 4 Dead (I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to pay $5 every month for a new level and the odd new weapon for instance) and, without that extra content, Left 4 Dead can get real samey real fast.

Saying that though, Left 4 Dead isn't about trying large numbers of game modes or weapon/class mixes. It's about running through a level with 3 other friends trying to get a better score, or doing it faster or more efficiently some way, and it's real good at that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds