October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

What board games should be remade as video games?

More
06 Feb 2019 05:06 #291607 by chimeric_chimera
I feel sad every time my friends do not want to play board games together. Just... That's the kind of games you can not play alone. I would be great if smb make some board-video games based on existing ones with online playing mode.
I' d like to play Munchkin online. The original game has simple rules and fantastic art which would look great on screen.
And what about you? Are there any board games you would like to see in video game format?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2019 08:28 #291616 by Black Barney
I’d play pretty much anything that came to Xbox One. Would love to see War of the Ring, Twilight Struggle as a couple of examples

I used to play Catan a bunch on Xbox360
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
06 Feb 2019 10:42 #291635 by Jexik
I feel like Catan wouldn't work that great because the trading and haggling is so central to the game. How'd that work?

For me a game goes well from cardboard to video game if there are few interruptions on other player's turns and if there's lots of rules to keep track of. Turned based strategy games like Neuroshima Hex notoriously worked pretty well, and although it looks like a board game, Cardhunter would be a nightmare to play (or have to be simplified) if they ever made a physical version. Hearthstone and stuff like Artifact show that complicated card games can have a home in digital if you remove interrupts from the equation. Munchkin might actually be kind of tricky as you ask people to join or not, or people playing last minute cards to stop you from hitting 10.

Minis games in general could fit well, aside from the fact that much of the fun comes from collecting and/or painting the minis.

More
06 Feb 2019 10:46 #291637 by Black Barney
Catan trading was super aggressive cuz people used emoticons to reply. There was a lot of NOT WITH YOU answers to offers of trade. It was really funny
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
06 Feb 2019 11:24 - 06 Feb 2019 11:38 #291649 by Gary Sax
From my perspective, it's games with a lot overhead and administration that gain from this. I think you lose interaction elements a lot when you go digital, so I wouldn't really want to do it on something that I thought a fair amount of table talk and reading people was required.

So, for example, a game that would hugely benefit from something like this is Fields of Fire. Its biggest problem is administration. It's a solo game, so you don't really lose almost anything besides the tactile feel stuff some people talk about.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2019 11:38 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jexik

More
06 Feb 2019 11:28 #291652 by Jexik
Right, more social games lose the most when going digital, I'd say.

Whenever people bring up a game to play solo, I think, "That could probably go to video game time..." Yet sometimes it's fun to crack out a co-op game and play it that way.

More
06 Feb 2019 12:21 #291661 by WadeMonnig
Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne.were/are amazing in Xbox. BUT I rarely played them online and preferred them as "couch" games with the family...easy to set up and tear down LOL. Both work on Xbox one and I think you can still get them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2019 12:50 #291669 by ThirstyMan
Is Twilight Struggle only on PC then?

More
06 Feb 2019 13:16 #291680 by the_jake_1973
Catan and Ticket to Ride on Xbox were fun.

I'd like to see stuff like Warfighter, the Leader Series, and Fields of Fire as video games so I don't have to set it up. I know there is Vassal and TTS, but I still feel like I am doing a lot of manual stuff that could probably be automated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
06 Feb 2019 13:24 #291685 by ThirstyMan
Like the idea of Fields of Fire but it's such a small market and a complex game I don't think there would be any money in it.

As Warfighter is the only game I have actually poured petrol onto and set alight, I would not be too bothered if that steaming pile of cow dung never emerged in electronic form anywhere. One of the least immersive, least tactical, squad level games ever made. If I want a resource management game, I'll buy one and it wouldn't be that pile of excrement. Yeah, don't really like that game.

I'd like COIN games automated, particularly as they already use a tree structure to automate non players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, the_jake_1973

More
06 Feb 2019 13:46 #291686 by Vysetron
I like short confrontational games in digital form. Dueling card games/CCGs in particular work really, really well. There's no better way to test a deck a bunch than to run it through the gauntlet of randos. What I don't like it most digital CCGs' business model but that's another issue. As soon as you go into multiplayer games that have a social element I lose interest in digital versions unless people involved are mic'd. Tabletop Simulator works pretty well with friends who aren't local.

Generally speaking I find any game with digital die rolls frustrating. I know it's a psychological thing, but the lack of tactility drives me batty. Somehow card draws feel more acceptable. I can't really explain it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973, WadeMonnig

More
06 Feb 2019 15:05 #291695 by the_jake_1973
As a long time PC Blood Bowl player, I am convinced the computer cheats with the die rolls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
06 Feb 2019 16:50 #291711 by Erik Twice
Generally speaking, I think games are games and I welcome the vast majority of games getting a video game release. I mean, we kind of do. Lots of people play games using Tabletop simulator or Vassal or whatever.

More
15 Mar 2019 06:16 - 18 Mar 2019 04:14 #293879 by AnnWanges
I like board games in their original form, but sometimes it's more comfortable to play them on PC or phone . It's easier to come up with a game in a group when everybody has a phone and no need to carry a bunch of game boxes with you. For example, I gifted my friend a game of thrones card game, we played it a couple of times, but after a while, we switched to an online version of it, cause it has all the expansions, dlcs and etc.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2019 04:14 by AnnWanges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
13 Apr 2019 00:21 #295427 by Rim Greaper
Titan with battle animations like in Battle Chess!
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds