October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's Talk HADES (spoilers OK)

More
28 Aug 2021 10:32 #326069 by Ah_Pook

sornars wrote: I get the appeal of wanting a wiki but to be honest a lot of the bits you’re complaining about were designed to be discovered by grinding the (intentionally) repetitive game loop and talking to people between runs and trying out new things all so you can start to identify the patterns yourself. I understand all too well how that may not be well aligned for someone with a limited amount of game time but it’s very much a hallmark of the genre.

I'm fine with this kind of design, but my reaction to it is to immediately wiki new things as I encounter them. I do the same thing in From Software games etc. I'm fine with hard games if they hook me, but I have almost no interest in stumbling through hard games while also trying to figure out the purposefully obtuse nonsense in them. That said I think Hades falls on the friendlier side of the spectrum for this kind of game, wrt explaining it's systems etc. Aside from the character affinity/nectar stuff it's all pretty straightforward that I've seen.

Also, I got a 2 win streak which felt pretty good. The Fists of Demeter are my jam, especially with Chill on your attack. Also I successfully beat Heat 1 with the spear, so we're officially Making Moves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, mtagge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2021 19:37 #326077 by mtagge
Yeah, I beat the game with the fists and am now experimenting with heat. The affinity bonus are just purposefully obtuse. The key one I was missing was Hermes' relic. when I won I had 20% dodge from that, an epic dodge boon, a global 15% damage reduction boon, and god mode at around 42%. Dash in, special, dash out (leaving a hangover).

More
30 Aug 2021 04:40 - 30 Aug 2021 05:05 #326096 by Ah_Pook

Jexik wrote: I’ve been having success from heat 5-10 with the bow with the following strategy.

1. Hera Bow. Load up casts into your shot for big damage.

2. Aphrodite’s keepsake. Get Crush Shot (cast boon) if possible. Heartbreak strike if the cast doesn’t show. Any poms of power should go to the cast boon.

3. If you don’t see Athena in Tartarus, use her keepsake for Asphodel. Hope for the dash or strike boon. (Assuming you did get crush shot).

4. Keep going for Aphro or Athena, looking for their duo boon, parting shot. It adds your backstab damage to casts.

5. Chaos- along the way, try to get boons that either add to cast % damage, extra casts, or backstab damage.

6. Athena’s Blinding Flash causes her abilities to make things take extra backstab damage.

7. Super magical christmas dreamland- if you can somehow also get Artemis’ Legendary, it adds two casts.

Even just steps 1 and 2 is a solid build, but if you get some of this other stuff rolling, you can be chunking down 2k damage at a time with your backstab shots.

I’m currently in a run that might see me getting to step 7, although I’ve had to settle for having aphro on the attack and Athena’s cast.

Edit: I ended up losing this run, on Heat 10. Mostly because I only had 150 health and died three times to trash in Elysium. Killed Theseus and Asterius very quickly, bought one death defy charge, then lost to Hades.

This build is real good. I had heroic Aphrodite boon that made my casts hit behind enemies a lot of the time for some reason, but enough of them still hit that it crushed anyway. Plus I got an extra cast from Chaos, and a Hermes boon that made my casts drop out of enemies in 2sec. The damage output there is crazy.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2021 05:05 by Ah_Pook.

More
31 Aug 2021 10:36 #326126 by Ah_Pook
I can't decide how I feel about the gun. I got to like 10dmg away from winning with it, and i feel like I had a beefy combo going (chain lightning in the main attack, and the Artemis boon that shoots an arrow every time you attack were the main components) but I can't tell if it's actually fun or not.

More
02 Sep 2021 14:56 #326196 by Ah_Pook
Got my most dominant win thus far with the gun. Chain lightning+the hammer that makes your shots ricochet+extra bounces on the chain lightning pretty much wrecked every regular encounter, and the Artemis cast with Exit Wounds, plus the game that made my specials slow enemies and add 30% dmg added big DPS vs bosses. Didn't get below 50% HP vs Hades. So now I've beaten Heat 0 with all the weapons, I guess it's time to see how far we can push it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
02 Sep 2021 15:08 #326199 by Jexik
I basically use the Chaos shield aspect or Demeter fists to stack on Heat. I’m around 15 on each this time around. Haven’t played for a week or so though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
06 Sep 2021 03:27 #326280 by mtagge
Now that I've "finished" the game there is starting to be some interesting builds I can make.

I had the bow hidden aspect (replaces special with all the shots on the initial target with them splintering after they strike) with Dionysus' inflict hangover on special. Got the hammer that added additional special strikes.

Also did the hidden aspect shield (load casts into the shield release when you bull charge). Got the duo that if the casts are sitting around they pelt everyone with lightning damage. Most rooms I was able to load three casts in the beginning, bull rush the center, where the casts would drop doing Zeus' lightning strikes, then run around the room until everything dies. Also picked up the 30% chance for lightning to strike twice and lightning also causes jostle.

Still haven't beaten the game with the sword. It just feels like the knuckles but worse. Magnetic cutter is the easiest to use for me.

Man it took a long time for the game to get interesting and diverse. Took a holiday without the kids around for me to actually really unlock the game's potential.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Ah_Pook

More
16 Sep 2021 08:57 #326544 by Ah_Pook
37 runs deep and I hit the credits this morning. I've only been up to heat 2 so there's still obviously a lot more to do, but it felt good :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso, Jexik, sornars

More
16 Sep 2021 09:59 #326552 by Jexik
Time to start passing out that Ambrosia!
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
20 Sep 2021 02:58 #326626 by mtagge
Anyone know if you do a challenge room and fail by taking a single hit if it counts as a room? I still don't know basic stuff like how many rooms you get and how many are boon rooms or resource rooms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds