October 09, 2023
2459 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Cyberpunk 2077

More
18 Dec 2020 08:50 #317317 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Cyberpunk 2077
Hopefully studios look at this as a reason to not grind their employees into dust in order to make an arbitrary release date.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, sornars, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2020 09:06 #317318 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Cyberpunk 2077
That's a good lesson. Another lesson is maybe have realistic development goals and control feature creep so you can actually release a thing that works on the target platforms somewhere near your release date window.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Dec 2020 09:24 #317319 by Turek
Replied by Turek on topic Cyberpunk 2077

Ah_Pook wrote: their stocks have dropped ~20%.

more now: from 443 PLN (4th december) to 264 PLN

More
18 Dec 2020 10:46 #317320 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Cyberpunk 2077
My Cyberpunk 2077 got delivered yesterday. Installation was more complex than past games, because the game files are too big to fit on mere discs. So, first I go to a website and download the GOG Galaxy app, which is apparently a Steam competitor. Than I download Cyberpunk 2077, which took over two hours because it's 70 GB. During that time, I re-checked that my new/used computer meets minimum specs.
Memory 8 GB? Check.
64-bit? Check.
DirectX 12? Check.
Processor is Intel Core i5-3570K or AMD FX-8310? Uh-oh... my processor is Intel Core i5-3470.
Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB or AMD Radeon RX 470? No, it's some mediocre Intel graphics card.

I checked around and found that people are playing Cyberpunk 2077 with Intel Core i5-3470 and it's good enough. I even watched a youtube example, and it looked fine. But the graphics card is a dealbreaker. I hate when I can't play a game because of a graphics card issue. It's like buying a car and then discovering that you can't have any passengers unless you replace your transmission. This just means that I need to upgrade my graphics card, which is within my capabilities but outside my comfort zone. I checked around and found that graphics cards are expensive, so I went for the minimum and ordered a refurbished NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB for $100 plus shipping. It weighs five pounds and has its own power source cord, which all seems very extra to me. So maybe I will get to start playing Cyberpunk 2077 sometime next week.

In the meantime, I can go back to Bloodlines and resume creeping around in a parking ramp populated by dozens of gun-toting thugs. Once I get past that, I look forward to a fun stealth run through a museum after hours.

More
18 Dec 2020 11:56 #317321 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Cyberpunk 2077

Ah_Pook wrote: That's a good lesson. Another lesson is maybe have realistic development goals and control feature creep so you can actually release a thing that works on the target platforms somewhere near your release date window.

I don't know if Blizzard plays the game this way now, but back in the day, Blizz would sell no wine before its time. They knew that people would forgive you for being late, but wouldn't forgive you for being buggy.

And game development death marches are a whole 'nother thing. I know that the software developer side of things isn't nearly as much fun as it sounds. If working any 80+ hours a week that you want to sounds like a good time, then I'd recommend it as a career.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
18 Dec 2020 12:20 #317322 by hotseatgames

RobertB wrote: And game development death marches are a whole 'nother thing. I know that the software developer side of things isn't nearly as much fun as it sounds. If working any 80+ hours a week that you want to sounds like a good time, then I'd recommend it as a career.

I've read the book Masters of DOOM, which details the early days of id Software. It's a great read if you are a fan of DOOM, Wolfenstein, Quake, etc.

I would have loved being on the team in those early days; they were friends, had a ton of fun together, and got to make cool stuff that blew minds. They also made a ton of money as a reward for their efforts.

These days, that kind of devotion is insane, and is never worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB, sornars

More
18 Dec 2020 16:08 #317325 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Cyberpunk 2077
Microsoft offering no questions asked refunds now too

More
18 Dec 2020 16:15 #317326 by RobertB

More
18 Dec 2020 16:26 #317327 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Cyberpunk 2077
I think it was a mistake to try to make this graphics-intensive game backwards-compatible with previous generation consoles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, hotseatgames

More
21 Dec 2020 14:57 #317389 by RobertB
Still playing. Latest thoughts:

- If I said I was decent at driving the car, I might have lied. Still suck at it with mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure why I would buy more than the absolute cheapest car, but whatever.

- Still some bugs in the PC version. I had to restart to fix my sniper rifle, and had to reload an earlier save when I couldn't kill someone stuck in a wall. Some stuff just refuses to be picked up.

- CP2077 feels a lot like Borderlands 2/3 WRT weapons. You gather tons of junk weapons, all of them nearly identical. These days I just disenchant them unless they're purple or orange. Being able to improve them as you level up is cool, though.

- As for skill trees, there's a million perfectly cromulent skills. I haven't seen any must-have quests.

- I think Witcher 3's storyline is a lot better, but so far CP2077's is perfectly okay. I do like that the fixers wake up when you get close to your quests.

More
21 Dec 2020 16:06 #317393 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Cyberpunk 2077

Shellhead wrote: I think it was a mistake to try to make this graphics-intensive game backwards-compatible with previous generation consoles.

Of course, as I understand it, the previous-gen consoles were the next-gen consoles when they started with the game. But yes. Time to cut bait at some point.

More
21 Dec 2020 16:44 #317394 by RobertB
There's a bajillion-message thread on Defector (the old Deadspin writers) about how complicit most video game reviews were in this ongoing PS4 clusterfuck. I guess video gaming review readers are uber pissed that most of the reviews on the day of release forgot to mention that the game basically didn't work on a PS4 or XBox One. But reviewers never got a PS4 or XBox copy - they only saw and got to play the PC version. Writers were given the choice; follow our NDA, or go without your prerelease access.

I guess that's one of the downsides of the internet. One of the commenters on the above article mentioned the old Sierra game Outpost. Computer Gaming World was giving glowing previews of it, but at the time CGW was also saying that when they review it, it will be using a copy that they purchased at the local CompUSA. When Outpost came out, CGW pronounced the game, as published, total garbage. And CGW wasn't wrong - it was unplayable unless you had an absolute top of the line PC and even then it was mediocre.

Fast forward to now, and a publisher can't wait for a real copy off the shelves. Is that a bad thing? I guess not, if you trust a reviewer's review of a game that they never really played. "I only played it on a PC, but I'm sure the PS4 version will be fine, right? Right?"

More
21 Dec 2020 19:29 #317400 by Frohike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, RobertB, jason10mm, sornars, mtagge, Ah_Pook

More
21 Dec 2020 19:34 #317404 by hotseatgames

Frohike wrote: My PS1 copy plays pretty poorly:

www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/...s1_copy_of_the_game/

bwuhahahhaha that is hilarious! Someone has way too much time on their hands
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 Dec 2020 17:21 #317452 by hotseatgames
Was *this* close to completing a rather interesting side quest involving a murder investigation. After making a phone call to the person that hired me, they say "come by and let's talk." Then the map never highlights their location.

Oh Cyberpunk, you got me again! :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds