October 09, 2023
2459 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Loop Hero

More
08 Mar 2021 00:17 #320214 by Gary Sax
Loop Hero was created by Gary Sax
We started with a few posts in the video game thread, but I think this game is good enough for its own thread. I've beaten the first boss a 4 times or so, mostly with the warrior but just now with the rogue.
If someone wants the executive summary of the game holler, but I suspect it'll just be me and hotseat...

I'd love to hear some loadout and tile takes.

Tiles: Rogue is great with stuff that has low hitpoints for one hit kills. Spiders. Worse with big tough guys like the things spawned at the battlefield. My favorite tiles that come with me so far for every time are the cemetary, skellies give great loot, the ruins, because you can place them to be quite weak but they yield loot, and the battlefield, because those chests are life, I stack them right in front of my campfire. Village has a fun interaction with vampire mansion but I never get villages early enough to make it work, though that might be RNG. I find groves and blood groves to cause too much damage to be useful, and I tend to nuke goblin camps too since they do a lot of DPS.

Never takes: beacon, chrono crystals

Loadouts: Rogue wants to double down hard because of that bonus to stuff you're stacking. So evasion is the one I've had most success with. I kept a lvl 5 thing on me when I had otherwise level 9 stuff because it had a big evasion bonus.

With the warrior, it's harder to say. I've had some luck a couple ways but nothing game breaking. I do think that it's true you want to really double down in a direction in terms of attached buffs.

Keep pushing for that smelter and arsenal card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2021 00:34 #320216 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Loop Hero
I just read that what Magic Damage does is bypass any defense, so that's making more sense now. It isn't like a sensitivity to magic, it's for high defense shit.

I can see that the intel center is released to you at about the right time; it's about when you need to know enough about the systems to actually see the stats of everything and mechanical details.

More
08 Mar 2021 09:20 #320220 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Loop Hero
I got the Intel Center built. It gave me those desert tiles but I have yet to figure out why I really want them... I know they make things slightly weaker but they also strip benefits from me and clog the "deck".

I don't even bother with the Battlefield when running Rogue; they don't give you any treasure, just resources. I suspect I'll wish we could save loadouts since changing the cards per character class will definitely be a thing.

I also never bring the tiles you mentioned, and I add the Swamp. It hurts just to be there, so it hardly seems worth the trouble.

I have yet to beat the Lich, but I have a plan! I upgraded the Cemetery so I can get a revive. With two lives I may be able to take him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Mar 2021 10:41 #320225 by Gary Sax
I'm thinking about ways to make the rogue survivable, I practice most of the buillds on the first lvl against the Lich. Feels like maybe villages are really important for him along with lots of evasion.

I didn't realize that rogue treasure mechanic, thanks, I'll definitely leave out the battlefield if it isn't doing anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
08 Mar 2021 11:04 #320228 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Loop Hero
One of my best friends is playing this too; I may pick it up soon.

More
08 Mar 2021 15:14 #320237 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Loop Hero
Jumped in on this. Lots of fun so far, LOVE that it includes dyslexia fonts!

More
08 Mar 2021 16:22 #320239 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Loop Hero
I bought it today (thank you developer for supporting Mac!). Played about 30 minutes, got my Warrior chugging along, have mostly Lvl 3-5 stuff now, was down to about half health before I camped. Should I do this more often? I was just sort of rolling along, I figured it was fine. Fought some vampires, some spiders, wolves, a goblin, &c. I had to pick up my kid, so only build the campfire thus far.

More
08 Mar 2021 16:45 #320240 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Loop Hero
I'm on the fence about wanting to read up on strategies and just figuring it out. I somehow built the treasure mountain thing which was a pleasant surprise. And i see some background stuff happening in combat (looks like buffs or debuffs, maybe some sort of random chance attack?) that might be more fun to discover on my own than be told.

Like i just realized i should be letting gear fall off the inventory to get scrap for it.

More
08 Mar 2021 16:57 #320241 by hotseatgames
Got my first win against the Lich today, and actually as the Necromancer! I spec'd high Magic HP and defense, kind of ignoring the rest. I had 3 skeletons. Didn't even need my resurrection.

I wish I had chosen the perk that starts the day with 3 skeletons. Getting all of your summons out takes forever.

More
08 Mar 2021 17:45 #320242 by Gary Sax

jeb wrote: I bought it today (thank you developer for supporting Mac!). Played about 30 minutes, got my Warrior chugging along, have mostly Lvl 3-5 stuff now, was down to about half health before I camped. Should I do this more often? I was just sort of rolling along, I figured it was fine. Fought some vampires, some spiders, wolves, a goblin, &c. I had to pick up my kid, so only build the campfire thus far.

Honestly, your best bet for the first 4-5 runs is just to bank some mats and build the basic buildings. Stuff like the potions and a couple of the other buildings are very helpful, and getting to them could take a long time if you take it to the boss each time and get killed.

More
08 Mar 2021 20:20 #320246 by hotseatgames
Got punked on my first attempt at level 2. During this run I found that the Shock Tower, or whatever it's called, is not really worth adding to the deck. It can help, but can also hurt. I also tried the gold card that enables another item slot. This was cool, since my warrior could now wear a helmet. Unfortunately you can only take one gold card (for now, at least) and that meant I could not resurrect. Many resources were lost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
08 Mar 2021 21:13 #320248 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I prefer the +1 item myself.

More
09 Mar 2021 11:56 #320274 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Loop Hero
I don't even know what you guys are talking about, LOL. I assume something bad happens at some point and I need to fight a bad guy. Oh well, I'll get back in there today.

More
09 Mar 2021 12:35 #320277 by hotseatgames
As you place tiles, a meter in the upper left grows. When it hits max, you are able to take on the Lich.

I just beat the Lich as the Rogue for the first time. I was using the extra item, which for the Rogue is an amulet like the Necromancer has. I also had a very useful perk that gave me a 75% chance to have a Ratwolf fight alongside me. I kicked the Lich's ass handily.

More
09 Mar 2021 12:56 #320279 by Gary Sax
That ratwolf thing is incredible, so much better than any other perk I've thus far gotten.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.893 seconds