October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Loop Hero

More
18 Mar 2021 10:38 #320798 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Loop Hero
Once the boss appears, do you have to fight him or can you keep looping until you decide you are ready?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2021 10:43 #320799 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Loop Hero
At that point you must either fight the boss, or retreat with all of your stuff. Once you defeat the boss, you can then retreat or keep going. If you lose to the boss, you keep 30% of what you had.

More
18 Mar 2021 11:02 #320800 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Loop Hero
I got the magic damage one from a comment on reddit (so could be wrong!), I've found it pretty bare as well.

More
18 Mar 2021 12:15 #320806 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Loop Hero
I dont know how precise you can measure triggering the boss (i.e. X amount left on the bar always equals 3 more cards or if some cards are weighted differently or if it is just a random event that happens somewhere between 50 and 60 cards type thing) but if you are nearing the boss trigger it can be advantageous to hold out laying new cards to make sure you are gonna trigger the boss at the end of a good loop run, versus meeting him at 20% health as you sail into the campfire on fumes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Mar 2021 13:01 #320811 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Loop Hero
Played for a bit... best I've done so far is get the Lich down to like 20%. How exactly is he triggered?

More
18 Mar 2021 13:49 #320813 by hotseatgames
Every tile you place (or gets placed automatically) increases the lower green bar in the upper left. When the bar is full, the boss comes.

More
18 Mar 2021 13:53 #320814 by jason10mm
Form what i can tell, playing cards advances his bar (the lower one on the top left of the screen, the top bar is the day advancing). Once that fills the boss appears at your campsite and awaits you.

What I'm unclear about is just how the boss bar advances. Is each card a set value, are some worth more than others, does it just progress faster the higher loop you are on, etc. I'm sure i could count cards on a few runs and figure it out but that would spoil the suspense :)

More
18 Mar 2021 13:55 #320815 by jason10mm

hotseatgames wrote: Every tile you place (or gets placed automatically) increases the lower green bar in the upper left. When the bar is full, the boss comes.

What gets placed automatically? You mean goblins and bandit camps?

More
18 Mar 2021 14:32 #320818 by hotseatgames
Yes, stuff like that. There are more than just those as well. Also, the bar goes down when you use Oblivion on a tile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
23 Mar 2021 12:05 #321078 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Loop Hero
I've played something like 12 hours now, but I'm not sure how much I like it. I've beaten the first two acts 1 time each - I just pack up and try the next level instead of redoing the early stuff. It's hard for me to pinpoint what I've done differently on the successful runs. It feels a little bit like I just happened to get better items or something.

I feel like just as the Battlefield is a bit of a non-combo with the Rogue, the Outpost is good with him because you don't get the items up front anyway- you still seem to get the trophies when helped by the guys. That's one of the few "eureka" moments I've had, which have been few and far between.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
23 Mar 2021 12:42 #321085 by jason10mm
Yeah, i get that feeling a lot as well. There is so much math going on behind the scenes it is hard to know if im just getting lucky or if there is some skill (other than an actual understanding of how tiles work and where to place them) helping me out.

I can see now why so many roguelikes have a platforming or tactical element to keep you engaged. Here i could almost leave the game on autopilot if i could set up a few basic instructions for equipment upgrades (favor vamp and counter, for example) and the tiles would just place themselves since it seems like there is a pretty obvious optimal pattern (rocks/mountains in clusters, meadows on the periphery, desert anyplace???).

After a few level 2 boss wins and some tools back at camp i dont feel like things turn south quite as quickly so my panic is fading. Still, it is an interesting game, if some of the more advanced cards had more favorable use (storm temple seems to hit me more than anything!).

More
24 Mar 2021 01:48 #321129 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Loop Hero
I’m also not sure how much more attention I’m going to give to this game. After a particularly good run, I decided to fight the Lich instead of running away, and I easily beat him. Then I beat him several more times. I have yet to move on to Chapter II though. The rogue class doesn’t do much for me, though I have only used him once. I haven’t unlocked the necromancer yet either. I don’t know the best path for base building and I don’t want to waste any resources doing the “wrong” thing.
I watched a Youtube video on how crafting works, since it isn’t explained at all, and the guy had a massive camp and dozens of duplicate items in his supply, and my interest kind of withered. There is just too much resource grinding involved, which I do not find fun at all. Maybe I’ll just go back to playing the original Rogue for a while.

More
24 Mar 2021 09:24 - 24 Mar 2021 09:25 #321137 by hotseatgames
I think I am setting it aside until they release an update that changes some things. They mentioned more options for game speed, and mid-loop saves. If they also do something about the slow resource acquisition, that would be great.

That said, I definitely got my money's worth already, even if I never play it again. Which I will, because I can't get that soundtrack out of my head. It's probably the best part of the game.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2021 09:25 by hotseatgames.

More
30 Mar 2021 09:14 #321405 by jason10mm
Used my rogue to beat the lvl 3 boss. Got a CRUSHING run with that character, a combination of lots of mercs showing up to fights, good traits (I was getting +1 max hp per trophy, +1 resurrection, and a decent chance to strike twice IIRC) and the extra amulet slot for a 200 hp shield in the beginning of each battle that just let me steam roll the loops. I frankly ran out of time and resource slots since it seems like eventually you stop getting much beyond the basic stuff.

Struggling with the necro. I clearly have crowd control issues with him, at least early in before he can summon 3-4 skelies quickly. So no vamp manors because those are devastating early on. But the necro rocks the forest village since it doesn't seem like the wood man counter hits him. Wood villages are painful for the fighter and rogue but a breeze for the necro.

Not sure who the desert helps, I think the rogue since it just amplifies their first strike kill chances.

I still don't know how to farm specific rare resources (I'm up to like 10 different orbs to collect) or boost the tools I can equip since the upgrade path is a bit vague (ok, VERY vague). Having an upgraded crossbow tower is nice though since it can reach out 2 spaces either side (so far).

Are folks sticking to the vampire manor? It takes forever to mature but the healing boost once it does is nice. Still not played much with swamps, but I think the necro might do well there as well since he doesn't rely much on healing powers. Anyone got the river yet? That and the bridge are all I have left to unlock I think, Mayne 5he alchemist as well. Lumberjack doesn't seem very useful. The gym might be nice, if I knew what it was upgrading. Potion hut is still the best for me since 7 7% potions equals almost 50% extra HP if I can save them for the boss.

More
30 Mar 2021 09:18 #321406 by hotseatgames
I haven't touched it. I got tired of grinding in my feeble attempt to get enough resources to build the river. I'll go back to it when the release an update.

You are correct, the desert helps the Rogue.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds