October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Elden Ring: Breath of the From Software

More
27 Feb 2022 10:56 - 27 Feb 2022 10:58 #331118 by Ah_Pook
Figured I'd start a thread about this one. It's the new extremely hyped From Software open world game. There's a writing credit for George RR Martin, but the writing is very much in the vein of From Software so it's unclear what that means.

So basically imagine Dark Souls but also a huge open world to explore. That's this game. You have an awesome horse with a double jump, and mounted combat is fun. You can stealth around really effectively too. The map is huge and beautiful and a joy to explore, and also everywhere you turn it is absolutely stuffed with things that would love nothing more than to murder you.

This is the kind of game that puts a huge guy on horseback right in your path as soon as you step into the open world. He is basically unkillable at that point in the game. Presumably this is to teach you that you don't have to fight everything you come across when you come across it, but also it's classic "get fucked" From Software. This is the kind of game that gives you an objective at the beginning and a glowing trail to follow, but if you follow it at the beginning of the game you will have your face caved in by the hardest intro From boss I personally have seen. Personally I finally beat him after like 16hrs of open worlding around and tooling up.

So yea. It's just incredibly good imo. I know a couple other people here are playing it currently, so here's a place to talk about it.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2022 10:58 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Frohike, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2022 11:39 - 27 Feb 2022 11:40 #331119 by Gary Sax
Yeah, definitely a thread worthy game. I'll be in here in the next week or two, probably...

The very little video I've seen, I've been pretty good about spoilers, shows that guy wrecking you. Which is a pretty classic From trope... but you have to say there are going to be a lot of new folks in this one and it's very bold to do that sort of thing still, this deep into now being a popular and relatively high selling developer.

From what I understand, the GRRM is early stage worldbuilding collab not like proper game writing. I believe Miyazaki is a huge GRRM fan.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2022 11:40 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, Ah_Pook, Warlock

More
27 Feb 2022 12:08 #331121 by Ah_Pook
The funniest/dumbest From thing so far is that in the starter area there is a big pit and a blatantly obvious path through a door. To get to the tutorial you have to jump into the pit, which is not particularly labeled as such. If you go out the door you miss the literal tutorial telling you how to do tons of basic useful stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, sornars

More
27 Feb 2022 13:24 - 27 Feb 2022 13:32 #331126 by Michael Barnes
So GRRM, what exactly was your contribution to Elden Ring?

GRRM: ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL

It is a -great- game so far. Absolutely captivating. And it is far, far better than Breath of the Wild which is, next to Half-Life 2, the most overrated game of all time.

After fiddling around for an hour I went with Warrior. I liked dex characters in Souls and Bloodborne. I’ve played for about five hours and I’m already doing the early grinding, those dudes at the camp seem like a good spot to do so. That freaked me out when that dude brought out that giant horn and called like 25 guys.

I’m also working on that mini dungeon with the imps. What a cool little area. The fire traps were brilliant. The dog statue just keeps kicking my ass.

So far it’s more -entertaining- than other From titles. Everything is more refined and better tuned. The production design is among the best I’ve ever seen in a video game.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2022 13:32 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars

More
27 Feb 2022 13:43 #331127 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I played about 20 hours of Breath and I just did not get it---and I like open world games *and* the exploration/mystery ethos of what they were bringing back to open world.

More
27 Feb 2022 13:50 #331128 by Michael Barnes
Between us…I thought BOTW was -awful-. I love tried no less than three times to get into it, looking for what apparently I’m missing with it. But nope…it’s just a bad game dressed up with a bunch of cute, meme-able clutter.

More
27 Feb 2022 14:07 #331130 by Gary Sax
It's weird to adore a game intellectually but just not to enjoy it that much in the hands. The open world genre needs to break out of ubisoft icon bloat so bad and BotW did that dramatically and showed the way.

Anyway, back to Elden Ring. Very excited, I always have these ambitious build ideas but fall back on like sword and shield. I've never run magic in one of these.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
27 Feb 2022 17:06 #331138 by Ah_Pook
My understanding is sorcery is ez mode and super fun in this one and melee is the hard road, but I always go strength in these games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, sornars

More
27 Feb 2022 23:22 #331143 by Disgustipater
Occasionally I'd go with a dex build, but I'm sword and shield most of the time and terrified of just magic. I feel so vulnerable.

More
28 Feb 2022 00:53 #331146 by Michael Barnes
Yeah the last Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls runs I messed around with were magic and it was…quite a bit easier. But I also knew what to expect, so that may not be the case if you are going through the first time with it.

More
28 Feb 2022 02:29 - 28 Feb 2022 02:32 #331147 by Frohike
VaatiVidya does beat that mounted boss at the beginning, but it takes some work...

My son (18) got it on launch day on Steam and has effectively monopolized the PC. I'm getting a copy for PS4 and can't wait to get started. I haven't delved into the Souls games since beating Demon's Souls on PS3 (and getting a good part through some "new game +" mode) many moons ago, but it feels like the right time to dive back in.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2022 02:32 by Frohike.

More
28 Feb 2022 04:18 #331150 by Erik Twice

Michael Barnes wrote: Half-Life 2, the most overrated game of all time.

Who doesn't love endless driving on a boat?
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
28 Feb 2022 07:36 #331151 by Ah_Pook

Frohike wrote: VaatiVidya does beat that mounted boss at the beginning, but it takes some work...

My son (18) got it on launch day on Steam and has effectively monopolized the PC. I'm getting a copy for PS4 and can't wait to get started. I haven't delved into the Souls games since beating Demon's Souls on PS3 (and getting a good part through some "new game +" mode) many moons ago, but it feels like the right time to dive back in.

I beat him 20hrs later and it felt pretty good to get that revenge :laugh:

Also be on the lookout for ways to get down 0_0

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
28 Feb 2022 18:20 #331165 by Michael Barnes
Warning: Spoiler!
I guess we are heading toward spoiler tags here…

It’s still early but yes this is in best video game ever made teritory. No other video game has felt as much like classic D&D, that’s for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook

More
01 Mar 2022 09:28 #331179 by Michael Barnes

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.144 seconds