October 09, 2023
2507 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2706 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Elden Ring: Breath of the From Software

More
23 Mar 2022 11:55 #331812 by the_jake_1973
Prefaced to say I am not a fan of the Souls games at all. Not my cup of tea, obtuse UX, shit save feature, distracting hi-def granularity on every surface.

That being said, my wife calls me into the living room to ask me what stuff we can delete from the living room PS4 since she bought a new video game. I was surprised as she is not a huge gamer and generally sticks to what she has played in the past like Skyrim, Fate, Stardew Valley, etc. She says she saw a new open world game out and thought it looked cool to play.....trigger heart sinking feeling. And there it is, waiting to be installed, Elden Ring. Fffkkk. See, she like to watch me play new games so she can pick up lessons on what to do and what not to do when she jumps in. I don't want to squash what may be a new branch in her gaming tree by saying how much I am not a fan....hell, maybe she will enjoy it. Now I am playing a game I have actively avoided.

So far, it is not so bad.....but I still hate the inventory system and all the damn numbers for everything. And you can't compare armor pieces if you want to buy them with what you have equipped?! The shit is that?

My adventure with Sister Sledge, the Confessor has begun. Maybe this outing will make me a fan......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2022 12:27 - 23 Mar 2022 12:29 #331814 by Ah_Pook

hotseatgames wrote: I have never even tried to use the mimic tear. One thing I hate about the inventory system is that it will tell you in the most high level abstract way what something "does", but never why I would actually want to use it. I have been carrying around shit I picked up at the beginning, and literally have no idea why.

This game is why strategy guides used to be hot sellers.

Mimic tear is a summon you pick up way off the beaten path. If you have it you should try it, it's so good.

And yea, From designs with community wikis and multiple playthrough in mind.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 12:29 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
23 Mar 2022 12:52 #331815 by Gary Sax
I beat the arcane castle yesterday effortlessly, all bosses first try.

So just an FYI to newer players, this game definitely does have a clear order to confront major areas in in terms of level. But you don't have to follow that order at all and since harder areas will yield more souls from normal mobs, you'll get up to speed pretty quickly after some early struggle wherever you go... unless you go to the last areas first and one hit and can't kill mobs. There are also build reasons to go to particular areas first, I can't imagine trying to a sorcery build without hitting the area I was in asap.

So if you're worried about fewer difficulty peaks and valleys, I think there is a optimal path. I would never do that, but then it doesn't bother me to have non linear difficulty changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Ah_Pook

More
23 Mar 2022 14:08 #331816 by Disgustipater

the_jake_1973 wrote: And you can't compare armor pieces if you want to buy them with what you have equipped?! The shit is that?

This was irritating to me as well. I’m pretty positive the Souls games had this feature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Mar 2022 14:35 #331817 by hotseatgames

Ah_Pook wrote: Mimic tear is a summon you pick up way off the beaten path. If you have it you should try it, it's so good.

Then maybe I have a Mimic Veil? I don't know. Haven't played in 2 days.

More
23 Mar 2022 15:00 - 23 Mar 2022 15:02 #331818 by Ah_Pook

hotseatgames wrote:

Ah_Pook wrote: Mimic tear is a summon you pick up way off the beaten path. If you have it you should try it, it's so good.

Then maybe I have a Mimic Veil? I don't know. Haven't played in 2 days.

I think the item you're talking about is to troll people in multiplayer by disguising yourself as scenery :laugh:

Mimic Tear summons an exact copy of your character, which as you might guess is extremely good.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 15:02 by Ah_Pook.

More
24 Mar 2022 09:34 - 24 Mar 2022 09:35 #331821 by Michael Barnes
Finally put Radahn down. I was actually hunting for Somber 5s and one was in Redmane…I was there, didn’t have a lot of runes, so I figured why not give it a shot. After two tries it was done.

That is such an amazing boss fight, I think it’s one of the best they’ve done. Granted, I am hitting it post-nerf so I avoided the frustration folks have had with it.

Weirdly, my wife (who has no idea about anything to do with the game) had a dream the other night that we were being attacked by a bear and I wouldn’t do anything about it. So last night I went rune bear hunting and for the first time didn’t run away from them. Bagged 4 of those bastards. Felt good.

I’m down in Ainsel River right now, those clay dudes are ridiculous.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2022 09:35 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Ah_Pook

More
24 Mar 2022 10:46 #331822 by Disgustipater
Speaking of Ainsel River, if I just got into Liurnia of the Lakes, is it feasible to beeline it to the River elevator and go down and grab a Celestial Dew? Blaidd was immediately hostile to me (I think his bear hit his tower when I got close) so I need to reset him at the Church of Vows.

More
24 Mar 2022 13:35 #331826 by Ah_Pook

Disgustipater wrote: Speaking of Ainsel River, if I just got into Liurnia of the Lakes, is it feasible to beeline it to the River elevator and go down and grab a Celestial Dew? Blaidd was immediately hostile to me (I think his bear hit his tower when I got close) so I need to reset him at the Church of Vows.

Try it and see! If the answer is no the only thing you'll be out is a few souls and the time it took to try it.

More
24 Mar 2022 17:05 #331829 by Michael Barnes
Risky but doable IF you don’t get swamped but the claymen. There are TONS of them and they are unusually dangerous. I think You might miss where most of them congregate though.

Got the Mimic Tear this morning holy shit.

More
25 Mar 2022 01:03 #331837 by Disgustipater

Michael Barnes wrote: Risky but doable IF you don’t get swamped but the claymen. There are TONS of them and they are unusually dangerous. I think You might miss where most of them congregate though.

I got the Celestial Dew without running into them, until I realized I was on a ledge and had to drop down into a massive horde of them. I just ran away from them toward an elevator that went who knows where, but I pulled the lever and was waiting like in a horror movie for the elevator to arrive while they got closer and closer and barely made it out. But I got the Dew, got my atonement, and started Blaidd's quest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

More
25 Mar 2022 07:18 #331839 by Ah_Pook
I found my third dungeon with the chariot trap things... Man those things are just not fun to deal with. Please no more, From. I beg.

More
26 Mar 2022 17:13 #331883 by Gary Sax
Banged my head for a while against the two gargoyles boss but couldn't pull through even with summon help. The multiple big enemy camera nightmare is not my favorite From trope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
27 Mar 2022 18:35 - 27 Mar 2022 18:36 #331899 by Gary Sax
Plugging away at this, I hit ruts but then I hit something that really energizes me like what happens when Radahn dies.

I ended up looking up some NPC quests on the wiki. I actually recommend it, the game is really expecting you to be poking into the corners of roundtable hall and finding NPCs standing around the world constantly.

The lore is sort of coming together for me, doing Ranni's quest line helps.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2022 18:36 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
28 Mar 2022 00:58 #331913 by Disgustipater
I am kind of flagging at the moment as well, which just means I'm only playing *most* of the time, and not *all* the time.

I have the wiki and interactive map up on my second monitor at all times when playing. As soon as I run into an NPC, I check their questline. I check the map for the area I'm in to make sure I didn't miss anything. I look up everything, and I am having a great time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds