October 09, 2023
2425 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

That Irritating Guy

More
23 Mar 2009 07:03 - 23 Mar 2009 07:04 #24128 by BradHB
That Irritating Guy was created by BradHB
It's easy to bitch and moan about the guy who bends cards, gets crisp grease over components, or consistently never realises it's his turn.

But, what do you do that must annoy your group?

I'm the guy who makes sound effects. Without even realising it. I do screams, sword clashes, gunfire, tanks, spaceship engines: you name it.

What's scariest, is that my noises are consistent. Rob (my co-writer and frequent gaming partner)recently pointed out that I made exactly the same noise each time the Hound of Tindalos moved. And then my brother pointed out that I do a great impression of the Town Portal from Diablo, every time that someone activates a Glyph in Descent.

It figures, though, I guess. I'm the head organiser of the game group (that's not bragging, I just am. Anyone from my group who wishes to contest that is welcome to organise a fucking gaming night sometime), so I might as well double as a soundboard as well.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2009 07:04 by BradHB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2009 07:12 #24129 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
I fart.

This is not a joke. I'm a vegetarian and I eat a lot of spicy food. We start game nights late, just as my digestive system in kicking in and reacting to the evening meal and when you're sat at a game table, hooked on every minute, you just can't visit the bathroom every single time that the pressure becomes too much. On winter evenings with the windows closed, the game room can start to feel like the inside of a packet of dry-roasted peanuts.

Our usual host has a game table with six seats round it. More often than not, we get four people show up. Guess who always has an empty chair each side of them?

More
23 Mar 2009 07:21 #24130 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
I play with my pieces. From constantly shuffling the cards in my hand to hitting people with the Warrior Knights sceptre (I love that sceptre!). Also every town in Warrior Knights has to be exactly on its space and the temple pieces in Tikal have to be placed facing the same side. But I try to struggle it and it's getting better.

More
23 Mar 2009 09:20 #24132 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Wow. I am guilty of the following:

1. Belching uncontrollably.

2. Playing with my game pieces.

3. Making a lot of sound effects. Playing Formula De with me must be intolerable.

4. I'm a deck adjuster. At the end of my turn, guaranteed I will straighten and adujst my deck of cards. This was pointed out to me years ago that I did this at the end of EVERY ONE OF MY TURNS in Magic--I'd grab the deck of cards with my hand and form and straighten the deck back together EXACTLY. Even after all these years, I still do this. And if you aren't careful, I'll straighten yours too if it gets out of line.

More
23 Mar 2009 09:31 #24133 by Stephen Avery

But, what do you do that must annoy your group?

Anything and everything I can.

Steve"disruptive influence"Avery

More
23 Mar 2009 09:52 #24138 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
I don't have many opportunities to play outside of the group, so I have a tendency to aggressively push the things I want to play (mainly because if I only get one day every two weeks, I'd rather not spend it playing Agricola). I then feel like a dick later because, well, other people have games they'd like to play. Luckily, our group has expanded to the point where we generally have two games running at once now so this should be less of an issue.

More
23 Mar 2009 10:02 #24140 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
I tend to make illegal moves by accident. I'm an Inadvertent Cheater.

More
23 Mar 2009 10:32 #24143 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
I've calmed down a bit. But it used to be when I'd get screwed over, the hat would come off and get slammed on the table (or someone else) with the requisite "God Dammit!". And then I would exact revenge on that person much to my detriment.

More
23 Mar 2009 10:50 #24146 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
I have close to 100 games now, while most of my friends only own about a half dozen games each. So I carry the heavy responsibility of learning lots of rules and teaching them. I don't mind, but sometimes I get a little careless, so I am notorious for overlooking one or two important rules in every new game. Once I have a few plays under my belt, I finally know the game, but until then, there is potential for trouble.

And nobody has ever called me on it, but I sometimes wonder if I come across as a control freak. I don't have OCD or anything, and generally I'm an easy-going guy. But I get tense when people have food and drinks on the table with my games, especially Arkham Horror. Yesterday was tough, we had a 7-player game of AH, including one kid and several people drinking beer. Miraculously, there were no spills. Usually I would have asked everybody to keep their drinks off the table, but there just wasn't any good alternative except for the floor, and there was just barely enough room for someone to squeeze by to go to the bathroom or get more beer. This carries over to other games to a lesser extent, I get annoyed when somebody gets my cards wet and doesn't immediately dry them off. And Cheetos are totally banned from my gaming table.

More
23 Mar 2009 11:11 #24147 by Michael Barnes
I lie about anticipated play times. :-(

More
23 Mar 2009 12:04 #24151 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Michael Barnes wrote:

Who here hasn't said the following?

Me: "This game only takes a couple hours"
(3 or more hours later)
Me: "...it usually doesn't take this long..."

More
23 Mar 2009 12:16 #24154 by Shellhead
Aarontu wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

Who here hasn't said the following?

Me: "This game only takes a couple hours"
(3 or more hours later)
Me: "...it usually doesn't take this long..."

I've said it, but it's generally a sincere mistake. We sat down to play Battlestar Galactica at 8:00 last night, with five new players and myself. I said, "This is a 3-hour game. We should be done by midnight at the latest."

We finished at 1:38 AM. I only spent five minutes on set-up and started teaching the rules during set-up, for maybe 10 minutes total. But the old guy had some trouble understanding the rules, and also forgot some rules and then had some serious AP during the last hour of the game. It didn't help that the first outed Cylon kept trying to distract him with smack talk. And there was a huge discussion when one really aggressive admiral invoked martial law and then soon got tossed in the brig. The whole thing was a misunderstanding, as both the original admiral and the original president were humans.

More
23 Mar 2009 12:19 #24156 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
I eat sloppy joes while loudly criticizing everyone's suboptimal moves - firing chunks of meat in their faces - and I hit on my friends' girlfriends, in front of my wife, whom I make change the vomit bucket I keep beside my seat. Plus I cry when someone steals the role I was about to take.

Seriously, I try to be a good sport when playing a game I dislike - usually some SJG Munchkin-style humor crap - but my misery is obvious.

More
23 Mar 2009 12:53 #24160 by Shellhead
I try to avoid gaming with EuroGamers or even groups that sometimes play EuroGames, because I have reached the point where I would rather go home than play a Euro. I realize that it seems obnoxious or controlling, but I just know myself well enough to know that I don't enjoy Euros. At first, they were okay because they were so different, but the themes and the usual lack of interactivity just bore me senseless. So rather endure a Euro, I would rather just go home and play an FPS by myself.

More
23 Mar 2009 13:17 #24164 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Aw geez, add "lying about playing times" and "missing one or two rules every game" to my Annoying Gamer Resume.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds