October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Freedom Force + sequel cheap online.

More
01 Jun 2009 21:55 #31103 by Shellhead
I just installed Steam, so that I could try the demo.

Wait, this Steam account is a subscription? Would I be better off just buying Freedom Force I and II second hand online?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 22:01 - 01 Jun 2009 22:02 #31104 by Mr Skeletor
Shellhead wrote:

Wait, this Steam account is a subscription? Would I be better off just buying Freedom Force I and II second hand online?

What do you mean by subscription?
You just download steam and buy games on it. There is no ongoing fee or anything.

The only "issue" is you can't resell any games you buy. Once they are attached to your steam account they are locked to you forever.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 22:02 by Mr Skeletor.

More
01 Jun 2009 22:12 #31105 by Shellhead
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

What do you mean by subscription?
You just download steam and buy games on it. There is no ongoing fee or anything.

The only "issue" is you can't resell any games you buy. Once they are attached to your steam account they are locked to you forever.

The fine print screen for the installation of the Steam software mentioned setting up an account for billing of the subscription fee. And now I've got a screen asking for me to create an account name and password for that account.

More
01 Jun 2009 22:25 #31107 by Shellhead
I set up the account, installed Steam, then downloaded the demo.

I got this error message:

"Freedom Force is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, contact Electronic Arts."

I am running Windows XP, with all the updates and Service Packs.

More
01 Jun 2009 22:38 #31110 by Shellhead
Rliyen wrote:
Let me get this straight.... You create board games, yet you don't know the capabilities of your video card?

Turn in your geek badge, now! =o)[/quote]

I have difficulty learning things that completely lack any apparent logic. The almost random string of numbers and letters used in these graphics cards seems devoid of meaning to me. Why couldn't there be a sensible industry standard that is easy to interpret? I'm just asking for a small dose of user-friendliness. I'm tech-savvy enough that I was able to get Fallout running on this computer, though it took a few hours of messing around with dosbox.

More
01 Jun 2009 22:59 #31116 by Rliyen
Shellhead wrote:

Rliyen wrote:
Let me get this straight.... You create board games, yet you don't know the capabilities of your video card?

Turn in your geek badge, now! =o)

I have difficulty learning things that completely lack any apparent logic. The almost random string of numbers and letters used in these graphics cards seems devoid of meaning to me. Why couldn't there be a sensible industry standard that is easy to interpret? I'm just asking for a small dose of user-friendliness. I'm tech-savvy enough that I was able to get Fallout running on this computer, though it took a few hours of messing around with dosbox.[/quote]

Just kidding. Believe me, I used to know this shite... Oh about 15 years ago. Now it's, "Make this go, FASTUH!!!! PAINTZ IT RED!!!"

Fallout's running rather eclectic on Vista. It runs without any animal sacrifices, it just goes down more than a cheap Thai hooker in Bangkok. I never thought it would run this squirrelly on Vista, but I should not be surprised.

More
01 Jun 2009 23:01 #31117 by Ochobee
Apparently the demo is the original demo and fails on XP systems post service pack 2.

The full game is patched to the most recent version and works fine on all XP and Vista builds:

forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881085

Kind of sucks to have to dive in without a demo, but that seems to be the case.

More
01 Jun 2009 23:07 #31119 by Shellhead
Rliyen, the toughest part of getting Fallout running in XP, even with dosbox, was that every time the screen refreshed, everything went black. But I could scrub away the blackness by moving my mouse around. I nearly threw out my wrist trying to play like that for a couple of hours. Then I spent more hours tracking down possible solutions and finally got it working right.

Ochobee, because of your encouraging words, I will take a chance on it. It isn't very expensive, and maybe the Steam people will give me a refund if I complain about it not working.

More
02 Jun 2009 00:17 #31124 by Shellhead
I've installed Freedom Force and just tried playing the single player campaign. The tutorial is pretty good, but the game didn't seem that fun until I ripped up the streetlight and then jumped on top of a building. I was doing great until I momentarily lost view of what was happening, as I followed thugs down an alleyway while my camera view turned x-ray and was showing me the inside of a nearby building. Those thugs put the smackdown on me before I got the camera view where I wanted it. It's definitely interesting, and I can't wait to try again soon. I wonder if I can download a manual somewhere.

More
02 Jun 2009 06:23 #31127 by Bullwinkle
Go to the store page ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/8880/ ) and on the right it will say 'View the manual'. Click on that, and save it on your computer somewhere.

Getting the camera where you want it is really important. Sounds like you're getting the hang of it.

The tutorial is really good for learning the game, but I always thought Minuteman had the least interesting powers of almost all the heroes. (Except for the fact that he's strong enough to throw big things.) You have to use him in the first few missions, but after that, once I had more than enough heroes for a full squad, I never took him unless I had to.

More
02 Jun 2009 06:25 #31128 by Bullwinkle
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I still got the original, great game! Is the sequel any good?

If you liked the original, you'll like the sequel. I personally preferred the original, though.

More
02 Jun 2009 13:59 #31181 by Almalik
Yeah, the original was a bit better even though the engine is more polished in the sequel. Both are great games tho. Its a crime they never got to make the third game in the series.

If you like the games, there are a ton of skins and mesh wireframes for pretty much any DC/Marvel hero you want to add to the game (and stat packs for them as well). Try running Galactus through one of your old completed missions!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds