October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Beatles ROCK BAND

More
01 Jun 2009 17:39 #31067 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
I'm torn.

As a complete and total Beatlemaniac, I'm ready to wait in the parking lot and beat up some old lady that bought it for her grandkids if need be. The Beatles are, and always will be, the best thing to ever happen to popular music. END_OF_FUCKING_STORY. I can't wait to get some friends and some beers, and belt out "Why Don't We Do it in the Road?" "Run for Your Life," "The Night Before" and all the rest of 'em. I love pretty much every one of their songs.

On the other hand, neither Lennon nor Harrison were terribly dextrous players. In fact, on almost ALL their pre-Help! stuff, the guitars had the same two-quarters-four-eighths rhythm. Odds are, the game's going to be a complete breeze. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's the Beatles, who cares? Well, the thing is, pretty much everyone I hang out with plays and instrument, so why don't we just play the friggin' songs ourselves, and save the 100+ bucks it's going to cost?

As far as the other new stuff goes, "meh" doesn't even begin to describe it. I think I'm done buying consoles for good. The only games I ever play on my $400 state-of-the-art Xbox system are Gyruss, Dig-Dug, and Settlers of Catan. The last big game I bought was Puch-Out!!, and even that could've been done on an NES, so a big fart in the general direction of new game consoles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 17:53 #31068 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
I'm remaining very cautious about Natal. I thought wii motion control would be about 1000 times cooler than it ended up being. I was originally excited by the possibilities of the wii. In practice, I'm extremely unimpressed.

That's a very good point to remember. When WII SPORTS' bowling is STILL its best application...well, that says it all.

MJ- that's true about the guitar stuff, and the bass and drums for that matter. But the vox are going to be KILLER on some of that stuff. I'm mostly a vocals/bass player, so I'm totally psyched about playing and singing harmony simultaneously. But some of that shit is HARD to sing. I'm practicing in my car almost every day, and I still can't get that "turn you o-o-o-o-o-on" in "A Day in the Life" down.

The full album downloads are going to be where it's at for me...the "hits" are great, but it's stuff like "Glass Onion" that we're going to be rocking.

More
01 Jun 2009 18:15 #31072 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
The Man says we can't get Beatles Rock Band until after there are enough user reviews out to assure him it won't crash like Rock Band 2. *sigh*

More
01 Jun 2009 18:24 #31073 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
On topic, I have no doubt Harmonix is going to do this right. I have total trust in them, unlike in Guitar Hero these days.

More
01 Jun 2009 18:58 #31078 by kookoobah
Replied by kookoobah on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Might get this even though we just bought Guitar Hero World Tour last month. The drums gave out last week. Stupid Red Octane and their cheap ass instruments. Need a new drum set, might as well hit this and get the guitar too.

Also, the Beatles are awesome.

More
01 Jun 2009 22:33 #31109 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Rock band 2 crashes? Our 360 version had one crash, and I think it was the psycho USB and cable mass. And it gets a lot of play.

Btw. The band list for Guitar Hero 5 went live. Tom Petty. King Crimson. Billy Squier. Wild Cherry. Queen & David Bowie. Peter Frampton. Love & Rockets. (So close. Want Bauhaus.)

More
01 Jun 2009 22:51 #31113 by Michael Barnes
Crashes? Yeah, I think the only technical glitches happen when I'm allowed to touch the controllers before the song starts.

Yes, the GH5 band list is fucking NUTS. It pisses me off. So much great stuff.

I wonder what Love and Rockets it's going to be...chances are it's "So Alive" or "Sweet Love of Mine". I'd love to see "No New Tale to Tell" or "Dog End of a Day Gone By"...the music of my teenage years...some good-ass singing in that stuff. But yeah, Bauhaus...you have no idea how fucking buck wild I would go on that stuff. I'll show up at Swamp Castle in eyeliner if that ever happens.

Queen & David Bowie...gee, wonder which song that is...

More
01 Jun 2009 22:54 #31114 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
How come nobody's put "John, I'm Only Dancing" in a video game yet? That's a singer's song.

More
01 Jun 2009 23:01 #31118 by Michael Barnes
Yikes! It is...that would be a bad-ass song to sing...I could do it.

I'd also like to see "Young Americans", "Station to Station", and "All the Young Dudes"...ON ROCK BAND NOT GUITAR HERO!

More
01 Jun 2009 23:21 #31120 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
The Man has corrected me. Rock Band 2 doesn't crash, it freezes in the middle of songs and you have to restart the system. I've never seen it, but he and the Spawn are getting mightily annoyed by it. He tells me that there were a bunch of bad disks, some problem with the dual layer, and you are supposed to return the bad disk to where you bought it for a replacement, but some people just end up with another bad disk. He bought our copy on the net, and says it's too much of a pain in the ass to try to exchange it, and then just get another bad disk, etc.

Anyway, the bottom line is no Beatles until after it's been out a while and he knows the disks are okay.

More
02 Jun 2009 10:57 #31152 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
What system?

On the 360, you can load any game onto the hard drive. It checks briefly when you start the game for the disk, and then never touches the DVD drive again. (Hit Y on the game icon to bring up the option menu.)

More
02 Jun 2009 11:01 #31155 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
I've probably asked this before....but is the guitar hero guitar compatible or are they total wankers that will make me buy new stuff?

More
02 Jun 2009 11:16 #31159 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Any prediction on whether Hard Day's Night returns to the charts in music sales? The real test of this (i.e., the effect of video gaming on the culture) would be whether the buzz it generates results in allied sales in other markets.

Let's see where Hard Day's Night appears in iTunes' sales charts . . . huh. Something's not right here . . .

Sag.

More
02 Jun 2009 14:58 #31183 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Michael Barnes wrote:

I wonder what Love and Rockets it's going to be...chances are it's "So Alive" or "Sweet Love of Mine". I'd love to see "No New Tale to Tell" or "Dog End of a Day Gone By"...the music of my teenage years...some good-ass singing in that stuff.

I think the only sensible choice here is "Yin and Yang (the Flowerpot Man)". Anything else and I'm going to start disappearing people from that dev team. Bass players and feedback freaks rejoice!

But yeah, Bauhaus...you have no idea how fucking buck wild I would go on that stuff. I'll show up at Swamp Castle in eyeliner if that ever happens.

Disturbing. But I understand the sentiment.

More
02 Jun 2009 15:36 #31185 by Michael Barnes
How could I perform "Dark Entries" without some eyeliner, man?

There's actually some Bauhaus stuff that would be awesome for GH/RB...Daniel Ash is actually probably my favorite guitarist ever. Not the most proficient, but hugely creative.

As for L&R, "Sweet Lover of Mine" would actually be pretty good...but thinking about it, "Kundalini Express" would be one of the better tracks for the format along with "Ball of Confusion" (although it's a cover). I'm betting it's going to be "So Alive" or possibly "Motorcycle" though. Boo.

Shoot, maybe they'll do some David J...a little "Crocodile Tears and the Velvet Cosh"...I'd love to sing that line "you're on a rifle range shooting moving targets in the dark"...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds