October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

PSP any suggestions for games?

More
03 Jun 2009 11:08 #31244 by sydo
I am deciding whether to buy DS or PSP. So far you guys have talked about some very interesting DS games here but can someone recommend good PSP games? I watched a Patapon review and the game looks great but are there any other must-have titles? I am looking for good RPG's in particular. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2009 11:36 #31245 by ChristopherMD
I tend to play Strategy RPG's more than other kinds, but not on my PSP usually. Three I really like though are Jeanne d'Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Disgaea. Sid Meier's Pirates! is a great port of the PC game. Puzzle Quest is RPG-ish. Mostly I play Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, and Pirates on mine. Patapon is excellent too.

If you're willing to put a little effort into hacking it, you can play games from any older systems like Super Nintendo, PS2, GBA, etc. That's also why there aren't a lot of games for the PSP. It was so easy to hack and download them that developers didn't want to invest.

If you're mainly interested in RPG's then the DS is probably the way to go. PSP is more for hackers or people who want the screen-size for watching video and playing action-y games.

More
03 Jun 2009 12:18 #31250 by sydo
The thing about DS RPG's is that I don't know if I could stand the anime graphics for long. If I am playing RPG I don't want my character to look like a 12 yo midget (see Dragon Quest V). But those RPG's for PSP are all anime as well so no hope for me I guess.

More
03 Jun 2009 17:48 #31313 by mjl1783
I thought Patapon would be right up my alley. It isn't. It's creative and all, has some nice graphics, and is primarily a music game, so it's got a lot going for it. The thing is, the music is boring.

1---2---3---4---1---2---3---4.

That's it, that's the only rhythm you get to play in the game. Even when the little Patapons are going "1-and-2-and-3-and-4", you're still just playing the quarter notes. Yes, it's sort of an RTS game too, but since you control everything by music, and the music sucks, well, you get the idea.

The only PSP games I played that were worth a crap were Dracula X, which is E-fudgin'-SSENTIAL for the soundtrack alone, and the Metal Gear Ac!d games. Basically, they're video board games, but they're pretty badass.

More
03 Jun 2009 18:14 #31317 by Michael Barnes
Sydo, I gotta tell you man, I think you really ought to be looking at the DS. For about a minute, I thought about a PSP. Mainly because I had played DRACULA X and I'm huge CASTLEVANIA nerd. But once I saw a) the selection of PSP games is awful slim and b) all the really good strategy and RPG titles were on DS my decision was made.

So far, I've not seen any game other than DRACULA X that I regret not having a PSP for. The METAL GEAR stuff might be pretty cool, but given the huge library the DS has including a shitload of really great games- as in, stand-up-to-console-games great, I think the PSP is a non-starter.

The thing about DS RPG's is that I don't know if I could stand the anime graphics for long. If I am playing RPG I don't want my character to look like a 12 yo midget (see Dragon Quest V). But those RPG's for PSP are all anime as well so no hope for me I guess.

I hear you on this, but the problem isn't unique to the DS- it's pretty much all non-Bioware console RPGs. It's the whole JRPG thing, you know. But if you can get around that, games like DRAGON QUEST V are really great games regardless of the midgets. And some of the best RPGs I've played on DS have the whole anime thing going on (THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU in particular)...and I hate anime.

The PSP Go looks cool and all, but it's as much as a Wii console and there still isn't the level of software support that I'd want to see from such an expensive purchase.

More
03 Jun 2009 19:07 #31324 by mjl1783
Not to mention, the DS can be loaded with home brew and emulators without mucking with the firmware (I'm not sure about the new-fangled one). A portable NES is pretty damned cool no matter how you slice it.

More
04 Jun 2009 03:19 #31341 by mads b.
Madden is a great game for PSP and I'll also second Pirates. Currently I'm playing GTA: Vice City and it's also quite good.

What really bugs me about the PSP though is a) the fucked up format for movies which means ripping one of my dvds to watch on the psp is at best difficult and b) the w-lan connection which requires that you go through quite a lot of trouble every time you change access point, and c) the fact that the machine has lots and lots of potential for all sorts of software which just isn't available because of the nazi like firmware.

That being said I'm quite happy with it. But I use it only when I'm travelling and don't need lots of different games.

More
04 Jun 2009 04:22 #31344 by sydo
Ok, thank you all. I will try to move over the midget stuff and get the DS. I have looked at the other PSP titles and was interested in nothing besides the aforementioned Patapon and Roco Loco.
And one word that makes DS a must have - Castlevania. I have never played it but judging by the YT videos, it's gonna be awesome.

More
04 Jun 2009 13:04 #31373 by jhuntin1
In terms of RPGs, here are a few you might try finding:

Brave Story: New Traveller (turn-based, one of the few)
Tales of Mythology: Radiant Story
Disgaea
Final Fantasy 1 and 2
Final Fantasy: Crisis Core
Star Ocean 1 and 2

Tactical RPGs:
Final Fantasy Tactics
Jeanne d'Arc

Pirates is definitely worth getting. The Grand Theft Auto games are good if you're into that type of game.

More
04 Jun 2009 13:16 #31376 by Michael Barnes
The DS CASTLEVANIA titles are awesome. The only downside is that they're too anime-styled and they have dumb stories that get you away from the Belomnts, which is where the game belongs. But that being said, if you like the SotN style gameplay...you've got three incredible games right off the bat. ARIA OF SORROW is the best of the three, but DAWN OF ECCLESIA and PORTRAIT OF RUIN are almost its equal. I was really surprised at how full-featured they were, even compared to the GBA games. They're just as long and detailed as the console titles. And oh man, those classic soundtrack pieces...

BUT...you don't get DRACULA X on DS. That sucks.

More
04 Jun 2009 13:38 #31379 by sydo
So I have purchased DS lite along with The World Ends With You - Michael mentioned it here, I YT'd it and it looks awesome! I don't mind this style of anime and hope that midgets in Dragon Quest V won't hurt the gameplay which seems great from what i have heard.
Castlevania is next as it reminds me of the old caravans packed with those big gaming devices which used to arrive in our town once in a while when I was a kid.

More
04 Jun 2009 14:25 #31384 by Michael Barnes
Castlevania is next as it reminds me of the old caravans packed with those big gaming devices which used to arrive in our town once in a while when I was a kid.

You have got to explain that.

TWEWY is very cutting edge...it's a JRPG, but it breaks a lot of molds. The game has balls, and it's a great pick to really show you what the DS is capable of. I think it'll turn out to be this generation's CHRONO TRIGGER.

More
04 Jun 2009 14:38 #31387 by sydo
Michael Barnes wrote:

You have got to explain that.

Well, I dunno if something like that used to exist in the US but when I was a kid, sometimes a big truck came to our town and it was full of gaming machines with games like Mortal Combat and Metal Slug. I used to hang there for hours killing stuff, and Castlevania reminds me of that - the graphics and that kill-and-jump approach. Man I loved those games.

More
04 Jun 2009 14:47 #31388 by Michael Barnes
Whoa, we never had anything like that, that sounds fun.

The good news is that there's quite a few old school platform and run-and-gun games for DS...check out CONTRA 4, METAL SLUG 7, NEW SUPER MARIO BROS., N+.

More
04 Jun 2009 15:12 #31390 by ChristopherMD
Michael Barnes wrote:

Whoa, we never had anything like that, that sounds fun.

It sounds the same as an Arcade, which used to be all over the US. I'm guessing wherever sydo grew up the local economy wasn't strong enough to support an established Arcade. That kind of business requires a certain amount of disposable income among local kids/teens.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds