October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - On a Slippery Slope

More
09 Jun 2009 23:37 - 09 Jun 2009 23:37 #31744 by Gary Sax
Roleplaying is a totally different animal. It's really quite difficult to explain it to someone who hasn't done it... or is it just this particular RP system?
Last edit: 09 Jun 2009 23:37 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2009 06:35 #31757 by kookoobah
Gary Sax wrote:

Roleplaying is a totally different animal. It's really quite difficult to explain it to someone who hasn't done it... or is it just this particular RP system?

The whole banana, I'm afraid. We've never played any RPGs. The closest we've gone is probably Descent. Haha. Zero experience.

More
10 Jun 2009 06:53 #31758 by panzerattack
There's a short film called The Gamers ( gamers.deadgentlemen.com/ ) that would actually give you a good idea of the general way a roleplaying game works. It's really low budget but it's very funny. Hell, even if you don't get round to playing an RPG it's worth checking that film out if you get a chance.

More
10 Jun 2009 11:14 #31777 by Gary Sax
What you really have to do is get over being self conscious. If you do that, it doesn't matter how shitty the rest of it is (the GMs preparation, the ability of the other players to get into character)-you'll still have fun. But if everyone is really nervous and self conscious, that is really what could kill the experience.

More
10 Jun 2009 12:23 #31794 by moofrank
If WFRP is too unstructured, you might take a close look at Keep on the Shadowfells for D&D 4e.

It comes with a quick start set of rules, pregenerated characters, and maps for the first session. Just add dice. The second and future sessions will require dipping into some dungeon tiles or a wet erase grid.

The rules and system are EXTREMELY structured. The adventure is mostly a pretty linear series of encounters. It isn't perfect, but low level combats in 4e are fun, you can start with very little prep, and you are only out $20 if it fails in the first session.

More
10 Jun 2009 12:24 #31795 by moofrank
Oops. Keep on the Shadowfell is a free download now.

www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/dndtestdrive

More
10 Jun 2009 12:26 #31797 by hancock.tom
The main thing with taking board gamers and trying roleplaying to to emphasize that the point isn't to "win" and in fact no one "wins." The whole point is to run around, do stupid shit, and worship the plaguefather nurgle.

More
10 Jun 2009 13:42 #31819 by dysjunct
Kookoobah, take a look at that free download for Keep On The Shadowfell. If you decide you want to run it for your group, PM me your address and I'll snailmail you a demo copy I got a while back. It has nice big full-color maps, plus quickstart rules and stuff. You'd need to supply dice and minis (or just raid another game for the minis).

If K. declines, then I'll just mail it to any FATtie who wants it. First come first serve!

More
11 Jun 2009 10:15 #31893 by kookoobah
Aside from the fact that my brother requested we try out an RPG to see if it would be fun, we've been playing Descent a lot lately and we want to incorporate some sort of leveling system, without the commitment and headache that Road to Legend entails. We're all busy, so we can't really run a campaign, but we'd like to have characters that don't reset every time we play.

Eventually, we just figured maybe an RPG would do some good.

More
11 Jun 2009 10:37 #31895 by Thaadd
After 6 months of so of 'DRY' I've been back to rpging once a week, or every other week now. My last group was playing WHFP before Real Life kicked in, I really like it. Roleplaying is honestly my favorite sort of gaming. I'm pretty excited because I might get involved in an honest to god remote rpging group, for Dark Heresy. GM in Melbourne (not Skellie) players in Arizona, Canada, UK, Minnesota. We were originally thinking play-by-post, but we all have access to voice communication, and hell half of us have webcams...

Good picture of last night's session (complete with guy doing a fist pump for a good roll...)

And no, kids those are not home printed books, those are proofs, torrenting RPG books makes baby jesus cry)

More
11 Jun 2009 14:14 #31920 by metalface13
kookoobah wrote:

Aside from the fact that my brother requested we try out an RPG to see if it would be fun, we've been playing Descent a lot lately and we want to incorporate some sort of leveling system, without the commitment and headache that Road to Legend entails. We're all busy, so we can't really run a campaign, but we'd like to have characters that don't reset every time we play.

Eventually, we just figured maybe an RPG would do some good.

You should got for Dungeons and Dragons 4th ed then. From the way it sounds you can basically play it as a dungeon crawl, but you get more freedom in character leveling/creation.

More
20 Jun 2009 21:47 #32596 by kookoobah
Thought I'd share what happened last night. Thought it was going to bomb, what with all of us being new at it.

Turns out, we pretty much had a good time. It was awkward at first, and they weren't really getting into, basically going through the motions and not being imaginative and I had to punish them for it, lightly and sneakily, when they didn't examine a room well enough, I had the watchmen who came in search it and find a big sack of gold. Hahaha. That taught them fast and hard.

One of the them tried to take on 4 mutants on a bridge alone without waiting for backup, had him smacked down and running back in less than a turn.

All in all, it was pretty kickass. They want to level up faster, so we're halving XP costs, but it's good. It keeps them motivated to keep playing because they get stronger faster.

More
21 Jun 2009 01:56 #32601 by metalface13
kookoobah wrote:

Thought I'd share what happened last night. Thought it was going to bomb, what with all of us being new at it.

Turns out, we pretty much had a good time. It was awkward at first, and they weren't really getting into, basically going through the motions and not being imaginative and I had to punish them for it, lightly and sneakily, when they didn't examine a room well enough, I had the watchmen who came in search it and find a big sack of gold. Hahaha. That taught them fast and hard.

One of the them tried to take on 4 mutants on a bridge alone without waiting for backup, had him smacked down and running back in less than a turn.

All in all, it was pretty kickass. They want to level up faster, so we're halving XP costs, but it's good. It keeps them motivated to keep playing because they get stronger faster.

Cool. I went by the comic store today to pick up the Free RPG Day freebies. I got a primer for Rouge Trader by FFG, it's another 40K RPG, but it sounds a little more interesting than Dark Heresy. You play as explorers on rogue trading vessels (hence the name). Basically a bunch of smugglers, treasure hunters and adventurers. I think it looks pretty cool.

More
21 Jun 2009 04:16 #32604 by kookoobah
We're still new at this, and I'm not even sure if we have the time to sustain it and see it to it's end, but yeah. RPGs are fun, needs a ton of work though.

More
21 Jun 2009 12:28 #32610 by metalface13
kookoobah wrote:

We're still new at this, and I'm not even sure if we have the time to sustain it and see it to it's end, but yeah. RPGs are fun, needs a ton of work though.

Check this out, it's called the Mythic Game Master Emulator. It's this system so you can play without a GM by generating some random results and then the players interpreting those results into their adventure. Or, as a GM you can use it to help create impromptu adventures.

rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=20798&it=1

There's also a whole game system too, but I just downloaded the GM emulator. I've read through it and it seems cool, but I've never actually played with it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds