October 09, 2023
2505 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2704 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Blood Bowl now available for digital download.

More
25 Jun 2009 18:54 #33061 by Bullwinkle
Cyanide's PC version of Blood Bowl is now available for digital download from the developers for $49.99 from its website here: http://bloodbowl.nexway.com/index2.html?REF=671981&Cur=840 . (Don't pay attention to the countdown on the page, it's already gone past the activation time.)

It will also be available in the future as a boxed version and through Steam in September. A 360 version should also be available, and a nerfed (no league play or customization, I think) version for DS and PSP will come out, too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2009 19:08 #33062 by metalface13
Man I wish they'd do a Mac version. Still can't wait for the DS version though.

More
25 Jun 2009 22:16 #33074 by billyz
BB on my DS?

...Umm... I think I have to go change now...sticky...

More
26 Jun 2009 08:39 #33089 by mrmarcus
Bullwinkle wrote:

Cyanide's PC version of Blood Bowl is now available for digital download from the developers for $49.99 from its website here: http://bloodbowl.nexway.com/index2.html?REF=671981&Cur=840 . (Don't pay attention to the countdown on the page, it's already gone past the activation time.)

It will also be available in the future as a boxed version and through Steam in September. A 360 version should also be available, and a nerfed (no league play or customization, I think) version for DS and PSP will come out, too.

Nerfed on the 360? That kind of sucks. I guess I'll just have to Steam it.

More
26 Jun 2009 10:53 #33103 by Bullwinkle
mrmarcus wrote:

A 360 version should also be available, and a nerfed (no league play or customization, I think) version for DS and PSP will come out, too.

Actually, I meant to imply only the DS and PSP versions are nerfed. The 360 version should be the same as the PC version.

More
26 Jun 2009 15:19 #33143 by Gary Sax
argh, release the fucking 360 version already!

More
26 Jun 2009 23:41 #33213 by Xlyce
Is it any good? I played Grave Yardage many years ago and I enjoyed it, but really never paid any attention to the original BB comp game either.

More
27 Jun 2009 09:49 - 27 Jun 2009 09:51 #33222 by mrmarcus
Bullwinkle wrote:

mrmarcus wrote:

A 360 version should also be available, and a nerfed (no league play or customization, I think) version for DS and PSP will come out, too.

Actually, I meant to imply only the DS and PSP versions are nerfed. The 360 version should be the same as the PC version.

Oh. Cool deal then. I don't trust my PC to be able to run it (or survive much longer - seven years is a long time).
Last edit: 27 Jun 2009 09:51 by mrmarcus.

More
27 Jun 2009 21:33 #33250 by Dogmatix
I downloaded the PC version a couple of days ago. I've yet to play the turn-based version [that's for this weekend], but the real-time version is exactly as much goofy fun as you'd hope it would be. If you're expecting a Skaven Madden '09 or some such, you're going to be sadly disappointed, but it's unquestionably fun--and a game that should have some good staying power for what it is. The online players were already out in force on the first day of availability; I hope the community has some legs.

More
28 Jun 2009 21:33 #33287 by Mr Skeletor
I started a single player turn based campaign. Havn't tried mutiplayer yet not the 'real time' version which looks wierd.

The interface between matches is odd - not entirely intuitive and there are certain spots where if you quit the game it forgets to give you the option to save - as I found out yesterday!
The matches themselves are fucking awesome though. I wish you could modify the look of the players AFTER they have begun their carrer so I could more easily distinguish those who have been upgraded from those who havn't, apart from that minor complaint I'm very happy with it. I hope they do some expansion teams, I want to play undead!

More
29 Jun 2009 06:02 - 29 Jun 2009 08:02 #33301 by Matt Thrower
It's unfortunate for me that I don't own an Xbox 360, and have no plans to buy one unless the price suddenly falls to less than £100. I'm not sure my PC would run it, and even if it would I don't get much opportunity to actually play games on the PC as it's usually in use for something else. What's particularly galling about this is that the only thing I want this title for is boardgame style, turn-based league play, which could be done satisfactorily with an absolute minimum of computing/graphics power. It's a shame there's not a low-graphics mode for people with outdated machines!

It's more of a shame still that there's no Wii version, since I might well get a Wii soon. Imagine Blood Bowl with motion control! But I'm not holding my breath - a cross-platform port of what is probably going to be a minority interest title seems unlikely.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2009 08:02 by Matt Thrower.

More
29 Jun 2009 19:50 #33402 by Mr Skeletor
MattDP wrote:

It's unfortunate for me that I don't own an Xbox 360, and have no plans to buy one unless the price suddenly falls to less than £100. I'm not sure my PC would run it, and even if it would I don't get much opportunity to actually play games on the PC as it's usually in use for something else. What's particularly galling about this is that the only thing I want this title for is boardgame style, turn-based league play, which could be done satisfactorily with an absolute minimum of computing/graphics power. It's a shame there's not a low-graphics mode for people with outdated machines!

It does seem like a system hog so I'd be careful, but I think there is a downloadable demo. Try that and see how it runs?
Otherwise you could always try and get you hands on the OLD blood bowl game - it's no where near as good but better than nothing and probably abandonware these days.

It's more of a shame still that there's no Wii version, since I might well get a Wii soon. Imagine Blood Bowl with motion control! But I'm not holding my breath - a cross-platform port of what is probably going to be a minority interest title seems unlikely.

I played the 'real time' version last night and was far from impressed. This isn't like a soccer game where you control one player who has the ball, it's just a kind of random click fest like diablo. Ergo a wii version would be shit, in fact the Xbox version would be dickky too. This plays like a PC game. DS MIGHT get away with it due to the stylus.

More
29 Jun 2009 20:23 #33404 by Bullwinkle
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I hope they do some expansion teams, I want to play undead!

There are plans to do expansions, but that might depend on the sales figures.

More
29 Jun 2009 20:26 - 29 Jun 2009 20:29 #33405 by Bullwinkle
MattDP wrote:

It's a shame there's not a low-graphics mode for people with outdated machines!

You might try Chaos League, which was the clone of Blood Bowl that Cyanide put out several years ago. GW sued them, and in the settlement, got the Chaos League property, while Cyanide got hired to do Blood Bowl.

There is currently no BB demo.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2009 20:29 by Bullwinkle.

More
30 Jun 2009 03:56 #33423 by Matt Thrower
Mr Skeletor wrote:

It does seem like a system hog so I'd be careful, but I think there is a downloadable demo. Try that and see how it runs?
Otherwise you could always try and get you hands on the OLD blood bowl game - it's no where near as good but better than nothing and probably abandonware these days.

I think my system just meets the minimum specs for the game. It's a shame if there isn't a demo to try out.

I played the 'real time' version last night and was far from impressed. This isn't like a soccer game where you control one player who has the ball, it's just a kind of random click fest like diablo. Ergo a wii version would be shit, in fact the Xbox version would be dickky too. This plays like a PC game. DS MIGHT get away with it due to the stylus.

That's a good point, hadn't thought of that. It's definately the sort of game which is going to be all kinds of clunky played without a mouse. Although staying on the Wii theme, it seems like you could do it using the Wiimote as a pointer :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds