October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Empire

More
09 Mar 2008 20:43 #3956 by maka
Empire was created by maka
With the recent talk about Viktory II (which I'll be buying soon, btw) of which I had heard before, but didn't really read very much about it, I was reminded of this old classic computer game: Empire.

I'm referring to the strategy turn-based game where each player starts owning one city on a big hidden map and has to explore, conquering other cities, producing new units and eventually encountering the other players. When I learned about the exploration system from Viktory II, it really appealed to me, and I think it's as close as you can get to the game Empire on a board game.

Of course, the maps on the computer game were huge, the fog of war was excellent and hard if not impossible to replicate on a boardgame, the production system created many more units that had to be moved independently (which at least you could automate a bit, so the micromanagement wasn't that bad). You couldn't really have all that on a real boardgame without having games last for months... but it made for a great computer game...

Now I look forward to trying Viktory II and see how it compares... For one, I really like how it handles the exploration, the combat and the production, making for a fast game that seems to be very fun...

-Jorge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2008 10:54 #3967 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Empire
I don't think I've heard of Empire before. Who put it out?

--Mike L.

More
10 Mar 2008 11:21 #3969 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Empire
mtlawson wrote:

I don't think I've heard of Empire before. Who put it out?

--Mike L.

Empire was released by Interstel in early 80's. I played the hell out of that game when it came out. There has been a ton of clones. Well at least the Interstel version was really the first version most people were introduced to it(I think there were ealier version that looked crappy). You can find a number of updated clones I've seen around.

More
10 Mar 2008 11:24 #3970 by maka

More
10 Mar 2008 11:37 #3971 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:Empire
I played a lot of hotseat 3-player Empire on my Atari ST in the late 1980'S, it was great fun.

More
10 Mar 2008 19:32 #3994 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Empire
I used to play it on our VAX at school. I also used to have a copy on one of my PC's but it wasn't quite the same.

More
10 Mar 2008 21:11 #4000 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:Empire
I had (emphasis on had) a PC game back in the 90s that sounds similar except it was set in the ancient world and included leaders which could stack units. I've been trying to find the name of the game on the net but so far haven't had any luck.. Must have been more obscure than I realized.

BillN

More
11 Mar 2008 08:12 #4009 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Empire
BigLizard wrote:

I had (emphasis on had) a PC game back in the 90s that sounds similar except it was set in the ancient world and included leaders which could stack units. I've been trying to find the name of the game on the net but so far haven't had any luck.. Must have been more obscure than I realized.

BillN

Was it Sun Tzu's Ancient Art of War?

--Mike L.

More
11 Mar 2008 09:44 - 11 Mar 2008 09:57 #4010 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Empire
mtlawson wrote:

BigLizard wrote:

BillN

--Mike L.

Hey, that was one of my favorite games as a kid!! A friend of mine had in on one of the early PCs and it may be the first strategy computer game I ever played :D I really loved how the battles were solved, zooming in the battlefiled and ordering the troops in real time. It was a great game.

-Jorge
Last edit: 11 Mar 2008 09:57 by maka.

More
11 Mar 2008 10:22 #4014 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Empire
I just downloaded Empire from The Underdogs based on what you guys are saying here...I used to see it when I was a kid and thought it looked really boring and dull...it's actually kind of cool, it does have some strange similarities to VIKTORY II. It's very simple, abstract, and easy to play and I can see it having a lot of replay value since it's so straightforward and variable.

More
11 Mar 2008 12:35 #4019 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Empire
BTW, be sure to check xconq.sourceforge.net/ a more modern and opensource game which has its roots on Empire, but has a flexible game engine that can be adapted for many different types of strategy games. The game comes with many scenarios of different types (ancients,ww2, fantasy and sci-fi). There's an scenario called Old Empire that is very similar to the original game.

More
11 Mar 2008 12:36 #4020 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Empire
Michael Barnes wrote:

I just downloaded Empire from The Underdogs based on what you guys are saying here...I used to see it when I was a kid and thought it looked really boring and dull...it's actually kind of cool, it does have some strange similarities to VIKTORY II. It's very simple, abstract, and easy to play and I can see it having a lot of replay value since it's so straightforward and variable.

I had Empire Deluxe in the mid nineties, put it on my system, then promptly took it off. I found it INCREDIBLY dull and had more fun playing Star Legions by Mindcraft and Battles of Destiny (by QQP).

More
11 Mar 2008 21:33 #4051 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:Empire
mtlawson wrote:

BigLizard wrote:

BillN

--Mike L.

No. It had a wider set of scenarios including ancient Mideast, ancient Mediterranean, ancient/dark age Europe and ancient Africa as well as ancient China.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds