October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Civilization revolution

More
07 Jul 2008 22:05 #8281 by KingPut
For the first time in my life I actually went into a game shop and pre-ordered an electronic game. The great Sid Meier's Civilization is coming to the DS, PS3 and 360. I'm ordering for the DS so I can hijack my kids DS just in time to go camping and a considerable amount of business travel in the near future. The game got good review on the PS3 and 360 I'm hoping it converts to the small screen.

I remember 1990 when I first bought Civilization. The game blew us away. I was living in a row home in Baltimore with 5 other guys. Me and one guy worked a regular 9-5 job. 2 guys worked the graveyard shift and 2 guys were students. For about 3 months after I bought the game was played on my computer 24/7. I'd be walking out the door to go to work and one of the guys just getting home from work would start playing his game. The only time we'd give CIV a break was to go down to a dive bar called Long Johns. The only thing that broke me away from work, drinking and Civ was meeting my wife at Long Johns in 1991. QueenPut and friends were getting through out of the bar for being to drunk. Good Times. Good Times.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2008 22:27 #8284 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Civilization revolution
Queen Put being thrown out of a bar for being too drunk? No way! So what do you tell your kids when they ask for the story of how mommy and daddy met?

I loved Civ. Now you got me wanting to play it again.

More
07 Jul 2008 23:03 #8287 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Civilization revolution
I bought CIV II on a Friday night. Got it installed at about 9PM and started playing it. Next thing I knew....the birds were chirping. Not too many games have that mantle.

More
08 Jul 2008 08:58 #8296 by Ska_baron
Sadly I never got into Civ proper - it always seemed like another game got in its way. And I didnt have any friends evangelizing it. I knew some who played, but I guess it didnt really grab em (or they were too entranced to speak). I'll definitely look forward to getting it on DS though! I've been longing for something good and epic size on DS.

More
08 Jul 2008 09:55 #8298 by Druen Kree
I played the demo of Civ Rev and its really dumbed down...alot.Having played all 4 civ games on the pc I figured it wouldnt be the same but man they really gutted it.But if you havnt played Civ or havnt played it in a long time you might like this.

More
08 Jul 2008 10:02 #8300 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Civilization revolution
Civ2 got me there ... for some time. The only game I was really addicted to was Orion 2.

More
08 Jul 2008 10:31 #8306 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Civilization revolution
Orion 2 and Civ 4 are probably the most addicting games of all time for me. Before Civ 4, it was Civ 3, and Civ 2 before that. MoO II has aged surprisingly well. I still play X-Com every once in a while too.

More
08 Jul 2008 12:07 - 08 Jul 2008 12:21 #8314 by LilRed
Replied by LilRed on topic Re:Civilization revolution
I've been playing civ rev for quite some time now and it is really good. But after a while you'll begin missing the depth Civ 4 has to offer. What it offers: A full civ game under 3 hours it does really well. Most important things are in the game. It's nice to be able play civ in a reasonable timeframe. Thats where Civ Rev shines. If you want the full Civ Experience I would advice to just find Civ IV in the bargain bin.

That said: I really didnt like how there ISNT a hotseat option included. There is NO way to play with more than 1 person on a playstation except taking turns with the same civ. Now as I mostly play Civ with my gf. She loves that game to death. I was expecting to play as teams on the same PS. And I'm not gonna get a second playstation 3 to make it possible either. This is a minor flaw as the game itself is solid with a little more emphasis on warring and conflict as worlds are much smaller so encountering other civ will happen quickly.

Ps. If you're doubting between the PS3 version and the xbox360 if you have both consoles it seems that the xbox 360 version doesnt have the problem where the game freezes for 1 second or so at some point. This doesnt annoy me at all but some ppl really like to complain about it.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2008 12:21 by LilRed. Reason: Added info.

More
08 Jul 2008 12:21 #8315 by Michael Barnes
For some reason, none of the games past CIV II grabbed me like the first two did. I never really got into III and I've barely played IV. I think II was just the right mix of elements all around- and I'd probably call it the best PC game ever published. I'd love to try this console edition...if they'd put it out on Wii.

What about ALPHA CENTAURI? That's a damn good game...it's a shame they've never revisted it.

You MOO lovers need to get GALACTIC CIVILIZATIONS II...nostalgia be damned, there's things I think are better than MOO. Expansions are a must.

The Civ game I favor these days is EUROPA UNIVERSALIS 3...it's both more epic and more vast than CIV but also more focused and specific. I love the open-ended gameplay, you set your own goals and decide your own course through the game. And there's more versatility than in CIV- you can run a mercantile empire, wage a holy war on heretics, colonize the new world, or go for European hegemony. Good, good stuff.

More
08 Jul 2008 12:22 #8316 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Civilization revolution
I tried the demo and really enjoyed it. I have Civ 4 as well FWIW.

It plays quickly and has a reasonable depth but not even close to as much as Civ 4. OTOH it makes a lot of awesome streamlining decisions. The army feature in the game is awesome and I hope all civ games in the future use it. Additionally it gets rid of workers, IMHO an archaic part of civ that has been hanging around for years and years. If I didn't have civ 4, I would buy it, but 60 dollars for me personally is too steep since I own civ 4. I will probably buy it when it drops in price to 30 or 40 bucks.

More
08 Jul 2008 13:13 #8319 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Civilization revolution
Civ 1 and 2 were the most Ameritrash Civilization like board game feel. In these games the unit strengths, time to produce stuff, etc. was visible to player. I think that's why Civ 2 was probably the most fun of the series to play. Civ 3 and 4 the game became more like a turn based civilization simulation. I've learned to like both Civ 3 and Civ 4 but I do miss the simplicity of CIV 1 and 2. It was fun being able to conquer the world using a couple of chariots in CIV 1 or watch your battleship get destroyed by a phalanx. In CIV 2 I loved being able to move a diplomat into an enemy city and just buy the whole city. CIV 3 and 4 does handle the trade goods and resources much better than the early versions.

More
08 Jul 2008 13:13 #8320 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Civilization revolution
Michael Barnes wrote:

What about ALPHA CENTAURI? That's a damn good game...it's a shame they've never revisted it.

You MOO lovers need to get GALACTIC CIVILIZATIONS II...nostalgia be damned, there's things I think are better than MOO. Expansions are a must.

Alpha Centauri was way cool; Nukes that could sink entire continents, customizable military units, all sorts of cool stuff!

I have GalCivII, and I played it for a while, but I never got into it like I did MoOII, and I've played both relativley recently. Maybe I should try it again sometime; it does have a lot of cool things going for it that are improvements over MOOII. I usually got a bit bored doing nothing but pumping construction ships and star bases during peacetime, though.

More
08 Jul 2008 13:48 #8325 by southernman
Michael Barnes wrote:

The Civ game I favor these days is EUROPA UNIVERSALIS 3...it's both more epic and more vast than CIV but also more focused and specific. I love the open-ended gameplay, you set your own goals and decide your own course through the game. And there's more versatility than in CIV- you can run a mercantile empire, wage a holy war on heretics, colonize the new world, or go for European hegemony. Good, good stuff.

I bought these two (used) late last year when I had (I thought) some spare time. But after installing GalCiv I couldn't download any patches etc.. After a few emails with support I found out that because I wasn't the original owner (he had already registered) I couldn't download anything for it without paying them for the game ... so I said FUCK and threw both games in a draw.

But sounds like Europa might be as interesting as I thought it may be - it does seem that you do need to make a big initial effort in reading and time playing to get the hang of it (?) .... something I haven't been good at.

More
08 Jul 2008 14:07 #8327 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, there's been some problems about GalCiv and its distribution apparently...which I think they've mostly ironed out.

The new expansion, Twilight of the Arnor, is critical. It adds SO MUCH to the game it's ridiculous. One of the things I didn't like before it was that the techs were really generic. Now there's race-specific techs. The only thing I don't really get into is the ship design...it gets a little too detailed for the game, I think.

EU3 does require a little investment to learn, but I did it without reading the 150 page manual. I referenced it a couple of times to figure out why certain things were happening, but really it's kind of a big ol' RTS game that you can slow down to turn based. The intricacies of how everything works together are amazing and it really has this HUGE feel to it...wheeling and dealing with countries, sending missionaries, espionage,putting down religious rebellions, fabricating claims on another country so you can trick your neighbors into thinking you're justified in invading them...there's so much that goes on. The detail level is pretty high and it does take some patience (the game progresses on a day-to-day level so getting from 1399 up to 1821 is going to take quite a while)but the rewards are great. I played it for a while a few months ago, put it away, and when the new expansion came out (IN NOMINE) I got back into it and realized that I had wasted my time playing a couple of other grand strategy and war games in the interim. EU3 had everything I was looking for in other titles.

More
08 Jul 2008 15:33 #8333 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:Civilization revolution
I loved the Civ series. Except 4, I didn't get into it for some reason. It promised to play way faster than the previous games but it didn't seem to do so to me. I think Alpha Centuri may be my favourite of the series. It is basically the same as Civ 1/2 with improved diplomacy and faction powers. Civ 3 I played a lot of. The corruption in a large Civ sucked but it only took a few games for me to work out that you could overcome it by commiting genocide. I didn't play much of Colonisation. I think I want to go back and try it. In terms of a quick playing Civ, I thought Rise of Nations did that very well.

With every release of the Europa Universalis series, I have been thinking this sounds like more or less my perfect game. Trouble is people say it is inaccessible. I got the impression it was a game where you would have to read the huge manual. At the time of the first two games, I had had some horrible experiences with games that had learning curves that were too steep to be enjoyable.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds