October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

iOS GameCenter tags

More
21 May 2012 16:16 #126290 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re: iOS GameCenter tags

ldsdbomber wrote: ... I am gonna Neuroshima Hex your asses

N. Hex is using email addresses for player-matching, not GameCenter. Uber-lame.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2012 18:05 #126309 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: iOS GameCenter tags
yes I noticed that, and just got my ass handed to me by someone who seemed to know what all the tiles did. It's an awesome conversion otherwise

More
23 May 2012 14:46 #126504 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re: iOS GameCenter tags
Heyo,

I just recently got in on the iOS bandwagon from Droid. Only game I've got is TTR Pocket because it's free. I've got the free versions of N. Hex and BattleCON, but havent taken the dive to pay for anything yet. Part of me feels like it'll just open the flood gates, but we'll see how long I last. Really liking N. Hex and starting to crave more than the 2 starting factions!

Gamer tag (for only TtR now): Ska_baron

Shocking, I know.

More
23 May 2012 15:32 #126507 by stormseeker75
Buy Ascension now and thank me later. Best $5 you'll ever spend.

More
23 May 2012 18:07 - 23 May 2012 18:08 #126519 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: iOS GameCenter tags
You know what? I'm playing Ascension at the moment but it has zero story to it.

It could be about anything. It seems to me to be mindless playing of cards to get other stuff (honor). There is no immersion in any kind of story at all. There is very limited strategy and a lot of 'removing that in case the other guy gets it' moves, which is way too much like the type of euros I hate. Its more like Race for the Galaxy which I also think is a bit lame. The only difference with Ascension is it is new.

I don't like this because its like being addicted to something, not because it is good, but because it is easy and you churn through games in 10 minutes. I find it a bit like the free windows game, minesweeper, quite addictive, but ultimately brainless.
Last edit: 23 May 2012 18:08 by ThirstyMan.

More
23 May 2012 19:55 #126527 by TheDukester
Ascension actually has quite a good story, with lots of background on the world involved. The problem is that it's scattered: most of it comes from flavor text on the cards, but some can also be found at the Ascension.com site. And that's not how most players want their background, so few are bothering too much with it. It would be nice if GG pulled together some sort of coherent package for everyone to enjoy.

But, really, so much of it seemed obvious to me after about my fourth game (not the specifics, but the general feel): four factions, either together or working on their own try to increase their power to slay an ultimate evil. Mechana is trying to build a fantastic weapon; Void kills (sometimes itself) to become more powerful; Lifebound chains together to make weak units strong; and Enlightened uses knowledge (card draws, essentially) to learn how to fight. That seemed pretty thematic to me, especially for a $5 purchase.

But, really, after typing all that, I was reminded of just how utterly pointless the entire concept of "theme" is in boardgames. You either see it or you don't, for any given game; it either works for you, or it doesn't. I've seen people claim, with a straight face, that Dominion has theme — that's proof enough right there of what an abstract concept it is as it applies to boardgames. So I should probably just delete this ... except I've invested all of this typing time already. So fuck it.

As far as your gameplay concerns ... don't know what to tell you, other than "play more." Possibly, "play different people." If "brainless" is your final verdict, then you're just not playing the same game the rest of us are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: imrahil327

More
23 May 2012 19:58 #126528 by TheDukester
LOL — just realized this was the "GameCenter ID" thread. I probably just set the record for longest post in a "what's your handle?" thread ...

More
24 May 2012 03:26 #126564 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: iOS GameCenter tags
Good point about the theme. I guess there is one if I am looking hard enough (on the website) but there is no immersion in a storyline when you are playing it and I think that this is the key to 'theme'.

I also recognise that there are some strategies but there is no bluffing and no real direct attacks on opponents (or at least very few). I still think it plays more like RftG with a small bit of player interaction.

I've played about 80 games with a variety of people and AI and I think I'm done with it. Nightfall looks like it has a bit of a story , so maybe I'll give that a go.

More
24 May 2012 04:29 #126570 by MattFantastic
If you think Ascension plays itself, Nightfall is a fucking nightmare. (see what I did there!)

More
19 Jun 2012 22:35 #128722 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: iOS GameCenter tags
Yo! I'm back on iOS and this time I ain't going anywhere!!! Got my iDevice for free fitty. QPCloudy.

Playing: TTR Pocket and Ascension, all exps and promo pack, also Carcassonne.

More
24 May 2013 15:21 #152848 by jeb

More
24 May 2013 16:19 #152851 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: iOS GameCenter tags
Oh well. I had no idea there was already a thread about this. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: QPCloudy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds