October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

"We can rebuild him." Quarriors variant thread

More
13 Jan 2012 13:59 #112750 by Sagrilarus

cdennett wrote: It seems if you do it just randomly, most of the time you won't even be able to use the damn corrupted quiddity

Corruption has had about zero effect on our games to date. It seems to me you're going to have to pick and choose corruptors to get it to make a material difference.

The expansion rule book indicates that corruption is going to change in a future release. For the moment it just doesn't seem to matter very much.

S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2012 14:32 #112756 by Gary Sax
Yeah, you need to seed with ancho of corruption for any synergies to emerge.

More
13 Jan 2012 15:27 #112761 by Space Ghost

Gary Sax wrote: ancho of corruption

If I ever grow chili peppers or make hot sauce, this will be the name of my product
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Jan 2012 22:07 #112796 by Gary Sax
hahahahaha. Ancho of corruption? Apparently a bad spelling of bunch of got turned into ancho!

More
13 Jan 2012 22:20 #112802 by billyz
Yup- using the "side of corruption rules" are the best way to have a cool mix between base set and expansion cards.

More
13 Jan 2012 22:46 - 13 Jan 2012 22:46 #112806 by engineer Al

Sagrilarus wrote:

engineer Al wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Easy enough to change.

How? The fancy little scoreboard only goes to 20?

I replace all my scoreboards and paper money with high-quality poker chips.

S.

Cool idea. Gives me a chance to use all these fancy metal coins I bought to upgrade my games.

But seriously, I'm going to have to talk the wife into a 2 player to 40 points using the expansion. NOW WERE PLAYING!
Last edit: 13 Jan 2012 22:46 by engineer Al.

More
17 Jan 2012 16:01 #113165 by Egg Shen
I got around to trying out this variant the other night. Here are my thoughts:

It allows you to build up your dice pool much faster.

The game length seems to increase by about 10-15 minutes. Not a big deal.

You have more of a chance to counter your opponents creatures and spells because you can buy more shit. For example we had the death spell that if rolled with two bursts you could auto kill any creature. These were all bought up and used to counter the few dragons that popped up here and there.

Scoring creatures didn't happen as often since each player had more spells/creatures of their own to counter with. See above with the death spell/dragon example.

I ran into a problem where I bought portals and spells and found my dice pool growing rapidly because I wasn't scoring any creatures (I wasn't culling). This did lead to some crazy turns where I pulled 10+ dice out of the bag and I was able to mount a nice comeback.

Overall, I think it makes the game better if you're looking for some more strategy/tactics in the way you build your dice bag. It slows the pace of the game down and makes it a tad bit more thinky. I like it, but I won't use it all the time. Part of the joy in Quarriors is that its a visceral and fast game. I'll still play the normal way from time to time, but I'll likely switch it up with this variant too. It will depend on my mood and how much time we have to play.

More
17 Jan 2012 20:21 #113199 by billyz

Egg Shen wrote: I got around to trying out this variant the other night. Here are my thoughts:
The game length seems to increase by about 10-15 minutes. Not a big deal.

Really? Okay, maybe in 4 player games where the rules say to play to twelve points- but in two player games it's been my experience that this speads things up. Big time. If your bag is poorly built, or even weak, you'll soon find yourself so cornered that mounting a comeback is almost impossible depending on what's available in the wilds. 10 dice? did you have all/most of the portals?

Oh, and if visceral play is what you're after, don't see how the vanilla rules do anything for you: too many dead turns where your options are limited to summoning one or two assistants or buying something from the wilds.

More
17 Jan 2012 21:37 #113206 by Egg Shen
It was a two player game. It was easily the longest game of Quarriors we had played in about 50+ games. I would wager that our average playtime using the standard rules are probably 10-20 minutes. Using this variant pushed the game to about 35 mins (I'm just guessing). We had tons of turns in a row where we destroyed each other's creatures...so no points were scored. It might have just been an anomaly in regards to the creatures/spells available.

I will still try this variant out again...it is certainly fun and I love that it gives you more choices. That being said, for what Quarriors is I like the very fast 10-15 minutes games that the vanilla rule set deliver. Those dead turns really only happen in the beginning (which I admit do kinda suck). It only takes a few turns to get some creatures and get the scoring/culling going.

I can't properly judge the variant after the two games we played. I'm going to continue using the variant for a wee bit and see if it wins me over.

More
18 Jan 2012 02:26 #113223 by billyz
Hmmm... remember that you can:t buy duplicates in the variant-- this is important because it almost forces players tpo start coming up with a gameplan for all phases of the game, whereas in vanilla Q ifg you take off to a monster start it's very hard to make up ground.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds