October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Cave Evil

More
22 Dec 2011 03:32 #110986 by Hex Sinister
Cave Evil was created by Hex Sinister
A Cave Evil Christmas
by H.X.Sinister

Below: My opponent, Miss Sinister, begins by casting a curse on The Pit. Later, she would offer blood
sacrifice there to appease the Black One and win.

Alone in his dank chamber, the Wizard who is One and One decides to stir. The eyes from Below are upon him and He smells the stench of the unliving Rotten Magi festering in her chamber of slop. Her soul will soon know suffering and torment!

From arcane wells of magick we commence with summonings and the creation of tools of war. I raise a cadaver of hooks and chains and a terrible beast of spines with such a tail that could eviscerate foes at a distance. Yes, slay for me and the corpses keep! These will bring me Power.

From a dark hole, hatred and eldritch power of the netherworld ejaculate in the form of Shadowflame. Using an ancient incantation named Character Ability Exploit, the Rotten Magi has stolen most of the cave resources with her feeble Salaman! Desperate for the 10 flames, I invoke a minor shade to quickly claim what is mine. But he is caught and slain!

Meanwhile, crypts are unearthed, death trenches are dug. We must discover what is buried to use for our armies. Metals. A cursed tooth. A slicer. A pretty cool headband to wear when I can find time to work out. I digress. Long hidden by guards and wards the Emerald Ssssss is awakened from his snorey slumber. Easily subdued by might, he will strike for me in the darkness.

Furious at the growing power of my nemesis, I collapse the Rotten Magi's tunnel with my spellcraeft and trap his terrible Demon and corpse-monks. The Evil Black Old Goat is amused by this and emerges from his hole. He is here! Too long has it taken me to dispatch the Shit-Mage so now I must appease this foul cunt.

Slayings between demons and hideous eldritch thingys have amused the Old Goat. But what is to be our reward? A revolt of our minions! A geyser of mutilated corpses cascading from the Pit in bloody approval. And IVStabbistIV is coming for me. My doom approaches! No... NOOOO!!!

Cave Evil - It is a battling game of strategy, choosing your engagements, and simple manoeuver. So there are no adventure encounters or such to be had or any questy business. You can acquire resources by drawing and discarding cards, excavating tunnels, through events, and by slaying foes. I would rate this about a middle-weight game (for F:ATties).

Excavating is interesting because you create the map as you play it, as well as bury (destroy) existing map tiles! If you wish to bypass the center chamber and dig around to your foes Cthonic crystal you can. His psychic form is weak and vulnerable there. If you want to protect your necromancer's own lair you can bury tunnels leading in.

Your hand of evil - the cards. When you draw from one of the four HUGE stacks of cards you have to make the choice of keeping it or chucking it for resources. This can be a tough call sometimes because you may get a crazy ass monster you want to play but if you don't have anything to spend... So deciding what you're going to do is pretty cool. Also, if you discard a tough demon for resource - your opponents can pick it up later. Ugh. There are also events that can help you or you can get a shitstorm of bad or crazy stuff. Fun.

Combat is quick and easy to resolve. Deciding if you're going to attack is more difficult. You want to set yourself up to take any randomness out of it. That can be tricky to set up though and sometimes you just have to go for it. You have to keep a watchful eye on your opponent's squads. Enemy necros can Call Up shit in a hurry with a high movement rate. Beware!

The three (out of 5 I think) endgame comditions I've played so far are a riot. They're different enough to keep it fresh. You really just want to kill everybody before endgame conditions activate but you have to be pretty aggressive to do so I think. The clock seemed kind of fast at first, even with optional/advanced rules, but I think it's alright at this point. There is no reason you can't extend it or just do a last man standing if you want to.

Tiles and cards are of very good quality. There are a shitload of cards - If you put way overpriced "budget premium" piece of shit sleeves on these you will compeletely fill 5 deckboxes. And you're going to want to sleeve them because they look nice and are all black -easily fucked up by your friends.

The bad stuff - not much. If you want me to nitpick then I'll say some of the abilities are pretty ambiguously worded. Some of them are like... what the fuck? But a small barrier for a gamer and Nate seems to be pretty on the ball about answering any questions. Of which I do have several!

Cave Evil is flavor, fun, and gaming pleasure. While it's a fact that I haven't played many new games this year, I know a good game when I play it. And this has already become a favorite of mine and I think it's going to be a classic. The best friend and girlfriend love it. I can't think of any reason why F:ATties wouldn't love it. Do you want a game where people are lauging out loud and having a good time? Cave Evil. I gotta go pee. Apologies for wack amateur review style!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2011 03:49 #110990 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Cave Evil
Nice write up, great photo's. I wish more F:ATies did this kind of thing, not me though, I'm too retarded to figure out how to post photo's on here.

More
22 Dec 2011 04:27 #110993 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Cave Evil
I'm so, so glad this game is finding an audience that really appreciates it!

More
22 Dec 2011 04:50 #110998 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Re: Cave Evil
Have you learnt nothing of how to attract people to your board game reviews? Such a glorious opportunity for cleavage in the first photo wasted.

More
22 Dec 2011 06:45 #111006 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Cave Evil
You utter utter bastard.

Now I have to have this fucker as well.

What? You think I'm made of fucking money??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

More
22 Dec 2011 11:43 #111019 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: Cave Evil
I'm with Andy on this!

Let's hope they sort out a proper distribution in Europe because I fucking well want this as well.

More
22 Dec 2011 11:54 #111020 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Cave Evil

anvil wrote: I'm with Andy on this!

Let's hope they sort out a proper distribution in Europe because I fucking well want this as well.

Ditto. I may well bite on this if I didn't have to pay transatlantic shipping (assuming the publisher will even ship internationally - I didn't see the option on their web site).

More
22 Dec 2011 12:13 #111021 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re: Cave Evil

MattDP wrote: (assuming the publisher will even ship internationally - I didn't see the option on their web site).

They ship internationally...just send them a message on the website and they'll tell you how much it will cost.

More
22 Dec 2011 12:34 #111023 by mikko_r
Replied by mikko_r on topic Re: Cave Evil
Matt, I check with Paul of boardgameguru earlier and he will carry cave evil, but didn't have a date yet.

More
22 Dec 2011 13:18 - 22 Dec 2011 13:19 #111026 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Cave Evil

mikko_r wrote: Matt, I check with Paul of boardgameguru earlier and he will carry cave evil, but didn't have a date yet.

Awesomesauce. Thanks.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2011 13:19 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
22 Dec 2011 13:59 #111032 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re: Cave Evil
The game is an excellent mix of old school and new mechanisms to come up with some real ameritrash toe to toe combat. Hail to Nate Haydn for another good game.

Nate's shipping policy to Europe is something he could work on because I only have a copy of After Pablo because he brought a few remaining copies to Essen this year. Last year he sold out on day two and could ship others. That was a bit of a bummer.

Nate, I know you're ou there, go fix this!
Btw please reprint San Quentin Kings

More
22 Dec 2011 14:55 #111051 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Cave Evil
I'm getting interested in this, despite my reluctance to buy any more games for a while. Would it be fair to say that Cave Evil has some similarities to Wiz-War? I love Wiz-War.

More
22 Dec 2011 15:51 #111062 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Cave Evil
Wow. I am so vexed by this. On one hand, the art is really neat. On the other hand, the bits are absolutely terrible. For the price tag, you'd think that they'd have at least chits versus those standies.

More
22 Dec 2011 16:36 #111071 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re: Cave Evil
This is the best AT game of 2011. We ordered 16 copies for our shop (the only shop in Europe carrying the game by that time) and they sold out in one day, incredible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Notahandle, Dr. Mabuse

More
22 Dec 2011 20:16 #111150 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re: Cave Evil
Shellhead, I am pretty sure Barnes mentioned it had some Wiz War feel in it. I have no idea until I get to try the reprint.

@"Superflynt" I swear, the paper stands grew on me a lot. This part is so easily pimped anyway. The map is what you expect... olde school paper. But if it were a board it might get wierd because tiles can overlap the edge in this. I think that would be kind of annoying. So flat on the table is a plus. The thing is, you don't really even NEED a map for this if you have a black tablecloth and aren't too analy about tile misalignment. Well, you would need to print a center tile or even cut that out and mount it.

Also, I'm pretty fucking nitpicky when it comes to cards and these are really satisfactory quality. Mine didn't have any warping or off centeredness. Good thickness, std card size.

I pimped my Eye of Awakening with a kind of translucent obelisk-ish stone I bought at the local wildlife park for 39cents. You can kind of see it in one of the pics.

Thanks guys for reading my first (and probably only) "review"!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.234 seconds