October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Tide of Iron

More
12 Mar 2012 20:39 #119019 by QPCloudy
Tide of Iron was created by QPCloudy
So, my FLGS has the base coffin box on sale for 50% because some clutz knocked it off the top shelf and now the box has a dented corner.

Buy/Don't Buy?

Good/Bad?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2012 21:14 #119024 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Tide of Iron
I think that would be $50 in the U.S. which makes it cheaper than most current wargames.

I like Tide of Iron and would buy it for fifty. But -- it's a big-ass game to store and that likely would be my biggest concern for buying it. If you have the room I'd say go for it.

Smash-mouth wargaming. Mortars can really ruin your day in this one.

S.

More
12 Mar 2012 21:15 - 12 Mar 2012 21:34 #119026 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Tide of Iron
Don't trust me, seriously, don't trust me. I'm very, very biased.

Tide of Iron is the best wargame ever. It can last anywhere from 1.5-6 hours so you can have epic battles or small skirmishes. You get to roll bucketfulls of dice but the luck balances out because you roll so damned many of them, it looks beautiful set up on the table, downtime is minimal, expansions take the game in interesting directions, and the initative/play a command card balance is a blast. It's more a hollywood wargame and less a "look how realistic I am" wargame. It's complexity is about equal to Combat Commander (but with awesome tanks) and a step above Memoir. Nothing like ASL though.

That said, I hate card based wargames. C&C system is ok, Combat Commander is irritating (I hate not being able to move who I want)... the only wargame of this level I think is arguably as good as ToI is Conflict of Heroes.. and that's still questionable. CoH doesn't have the robustness or versatility of ToI. It's sandbox qualities are reduced for me.

The base game is the weakest of all the ToI sets (people complain about balance in that one) but is a really great toolbox, and I didn't mind the scenario's that much personally. But our matches turned out pretty close, I liked them enough to pick up the first expansion day one. If you have a scenario designer in you then it's a must buy. I doubt there is a better tool box for making war game scenario's. There are also a lot of free scenario's on line. Some are great just cruise through the BGG threads on it to find them.

Days of the Fox is an awesome expansion. I love it. Then Fury of the Bear and Normandy are about tied for me. Both are great but DotF is so awesome it gets a special mention.

There is also a designer book that is very cool. Most of the big names in wargaming show up to design a scenario and most of them are designed for just the base game. Theres a lot of game in that book for just 15-20 bucks.

That said, I'm a fanboi of the system, incredibly biased, and aware that not many agree with me.

Fuck them, I'm right, they're wrong!!
Last edit: 12 Mar 2012 21:34 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, DeletedUser, SuperflyPete

More
12 Mar 2012 21:29 - 12 Mar 2012 21:29 #119029 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Tide of Iron

JonJacob wrote: the only wargame of this level I think is arguably as good as ToI is Conflict of Heroes.. and that's still questionable.

Agreed, I think ToI easily beats Conflict of Heroes. It's more fun: buckets of dice are more fun than 2d6, and I don't like how hits in CoH are almost all-or-nothing. And to me, ToI feel more *intuitive*: the whole action point thing in CoH feels really game-y to me, I don't feel as immersed as I do in ToI. And man do I hate Memoir 44and its ilk.

That said, my main game partner doesn't like either of them, so if anyone wants my ToI for $50 shipped (I can send the Days of the Fox expansion too), please PM me. I know it sounds like I'm just trying to make the game sound good so I can sell it (I've got a C&C:Ancients game I'd like to sell that I'm NOT going to claim I like), but I really think it's fun. It probably is also the smoothest, least-rules-lookup-est of the FFG coffin box games.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2012 21:29 by dragonstout.

More
12 Mar 2012 21:32 #119030 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Tide of Iron

JonJacob wrote: That said, I hate card based wargames.

Card-based wargaming sucks because you can't do what you want. In Tide of Iron if you want to suicide your ass right up the middle of the battlefield there's nothing stopping you. Your choices are your own.

S.

More
12 Mar 2012 21:41 #119032 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Tide of Iron
A while ago, I asked about tactical wargames because I've mostly played strategic level until very recently. Of those suggested, I found ToI the most fun. It feels like I'm controlling a US army football team, and it's a blast. I prefer campyness in this type of game.

Combat Commander I thought was ok too, but for different reasons entirely. It feels more like I'm putting out minute-to-minute fires rather than planning out an attack. The battle has a bit of a mind of it's own. It thematically felt more like a high-octane gritty documentary than a heroic flag-waving brawl. The gameplay itself felt a bit more 'serious' and not quite fun as ToI. I'd gladly play either of them again, but I'd go with ToI given a choice.

Memoir 44 I didn't like at all, and ASL seems like a bit too much work than I'm willing to put in right now.

More
12 Mar 2012 21:54 #119035 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Tide of Iron
If you don't buy it for you, buy it for me and trade me some shit. Or I'll buy it.

I've wanted it for EVAR. Just can't spend 100$ on something that doesn't stop me from puking or spinning, or get me laid.

More
12 Mar 2012 23:33 #119046 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Tide of Iron

Sagrilarus wrote:

JonJacob wrote: That said, I hate card based wargames.

Card-based wargaming sucks because you can't do what you want. In Tide of Iron if you want to suicide your ass right up the middle of the battlefield there's nothing stopping you. Your choices are your own.

S.

Just a reminder, in case you have forgotten, Path's of Glory, a CDG, is not only the best wargame but the best game...ever.

Now go to your respective rooms, both of you, and think about what you've done wrong.

More
12 Mar 2012 23:39 - 12 Mar 2012 23:41 #119047 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re: Tide of Iron
dragonstout wrote:
" if anyone wants my ToI for $50 shipped (I can send the Days of the Fox expansion too)"
If only $50 shipped included England... (For ToI & DotF of course.)

In reality, $50 is what it would probably cost to ship!

QPCloudy: Buy it and if you don't like it trade it.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2012 23:41 by Notahandle.

More
12 Mar 2012 23:46 - 12 Mar 2012 23:47 #119048 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Tide of Iron

repoman wrote: Just a reminder, in case you have forgotten, Path's of Glory, a CDG, is not only the best wargame but the best game...ever.

Now go to your respective rooms, both of you, and think about what you've done wrong.

In CDGs, you can still do whatever the hell you want, unless you want Romania to enter the war and not be shit. The cards don't restrict what you can do, just how much you can do. CDGs are totally different.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2012 23:47 by SaMoKo.

More
13 Mar 2012 00:26 #119053 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: Tide of Iron

SuperflyTNT wrote: If you don't buy it for you, buy it for me and trade me some shit. Or I'll buy it.

I've wanted it for EVAR. Just can't spend 100$ on something that doesn't stop me from puking or spinning, or get me laid.

PM sent

More
13 Mar 2012 04:27 #119080 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Re: Tide of Iron

repoman wrote: Just a reminder, in case you have forgotten, Path's of Glory, a CDG, is not only the best wargame but the best game...ever.

Sweet. Good to know, as I just traded Ghost Stories for it. Of course, it will just add to the stack of two-player games I have sitting around that never get played...

More
13 Mar 2012 10:52 #119101 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Tide of Iron
Jack, I'd play a vasssal game anytime. Also wargameroom.com has live play with full rules enforcement by the computer. The map is just a "wire" image of the actual board and is fuggin ugly as sin but playing there you can get in a game in about 3.5 hours (half or more of a f-t-f game.)

More
13 Mar 2012 19:25 #119167 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Re: Tide of Iron
Alright, cool. Once my copy shows up, I'll read through and then ping you about a Vassal game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds