October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Settlers Card Problem FINALLY Fixed

More
19 Feb 2009 09:49 #21699 by Sagrilarus
Announcing the Yucatan Token Set*
*While Yucatan is not approved by, nor licensed by, Klaus Teuber, Catan GmbH, or Mayfair Games, Inc., it is compatible with ‘The Settlers of Catan®’ and is published under agreement with Mayfair Games, Inc., which reserves all rights therein.

Are you tired of slowing your game down by having to deal out cards and organize them in your hand? Do you realize that if you play on Xbox Live that it tells you how many of each resource are out there among all the players? It gives you much better information and allows the game to play quicker!

Have you ever stepped back and realized your game play is really in two very different worlds? One world with cute wooden houses and cities, great roads winding among resources, spreading out inexorably toward the ocean? And then there is the world of a card game! The cards sort of ruin the experience by many accounts. We are changing all that by allowing your resource world to come into harmony with your game world. Announcing the Yucatan Token Set!

Imagine for a moment rather than collecting cards on this beautiful miniature island that you were actually gathering the resources from the island? How would that work? Simple, you use the Yucatan Token Set! Included in this set are 19 of each of 5 custom designed tokens: Sheep, Grain, Brick, Wood and Stone (Ore). You can either put them all to one side and keep them in front of you with your cities and roads as you collect them from the "bank", or better yet put them right out on the board on the tiles representing the origin of each resource! Imagine an island resplendent with sheep-filled rolling hills, wheat-filled fields, dark wooden forests, brick-laden cliffs and ore-rich quarries! Pull the resources directly from the island and open up your playing world! Dump the cards and play like real island settlers!

Release date scheduled for late February or early March.

FAQ
1) OK so this sounds cool but what about keeping your cards hidden?

No problem at all, you just keep one hand over your tokens, or put a small folded blind up if you thing thats tough. There are tons of games where you can keep money or victory points hidden and thats how its always done, just keep a hand over your pieces or any object in front of your tokens.

Our focus group played this way several times and its no worse than holding cards, and much much easier if you happen to be a brilliant 6 year old who is great at Catan and terrible at holding cards!

1) What about the robber, how do you have someone randomly select a resource for stealing when they can see what you have?

Dealing with the robber is no worse than the many, many games where you have to select a starting player at random (like you do for Kingsburg, Stone Age, Powergrid and others). What do you do then? Put a token of each color in someone's hand and have someone randomly choose with your hand in the air, or simply shake the tokens in 2 hands and randomly drop one out to the table. The same thing works just fine here.

If that doesn't appeal to you then you can line the pieces up from say 1-7 and have the person moving the robber simply turn around and pick a number at random. The other players can watch to ensure there is no cheating involved.

Really the tokens speed the trading and distribution of resources so much that the extra 5 seconds the robber may take is totally offset and then some.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2009 09:53 #21700 by san il defanso
Sagrilarus wrote:

Our focus group played this way several times and its no worse than holding cards, and much much easier if you happen to be a brilliant 6 year old who is great at Catan and terrible at holding cards!

Two things:

1. Is there a less enthusiastic qualification than saying its "no worse?" I submit there is not.

2. I'm not sure that changes need to be made for the small percentage of six-year-olds bright enough to effectively play Settlers.

More
19 Feb 2009 09:53 #21701 by mikoyan
A guy at work used to say that something like this was a solution looking for a problem.

More
19 Feb 2009 09:57 #21702 by Sagrilarus
Oh no -- this is a problem alright. They have thousands of little bits in their warehouse that need a home. Solution!

Sag.

More
19 Feb 2009 10:00 #21703 by ChristopherMD
I'll stick with the cards. In fact, I wouldn't want to play Settlers with tokens. The cards are easy to deal and trade. If a six-year old can't hold a hand of cards that's hardly a fault with the game. Not to mention they'd still have the Development cards anyways.

More
19 Feb 2009 10:31 #21706 by Bullwinkle
We need to start manufacturing better six-year-olds.

More
19 Feb 2009 10:33 #21707 by Shellhead
It would be easier to "fix" Settlers with rusty pruning shears.

More
19 Feb 2009 10:53 #21709 by Dr. Mabuse
I thought this was a joke advertisement... apparently not .

More
19 Feb 2009 11:02 #21711 by NeonPeon
Awesome! Whenever I play Settlers I feel like these two conflicting worlds collide, and my poor widdwe brain can't handle it all. :(

More
19 Feb 2009 11:19 #21716 by Dr. Mabuse
OH SHIT! I gotta great idea to speed up play in Carcassonne. Why not sell meeples already attached to each tile?!!!

If we're gonna get through 50 games in a three hour period we need to be MORE EFFICIENT MEEPLE..er PEOPLE!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
19 Feb 2009 11:53 #21725 by TheDukester
It's a close race, but this might be a more stupid and insulting idea than the official Event Cards.

No, wait ... the Event Cards are still the leader there.

More
19 Feb 2009 12:27 #21728 by Juniper
TheDukester wrote:

It's a close race, but this might be a more stupid and insulting idea than the official Event Cards.

That's because the Event Card Problem hasn't been fixed. Replace 'em with animeeples and the result will be pure awesome.

More
19 Feb 2009 14:15 #21735 by Notahandle
drmabuse00 wrote:
"I thought this was a joke advertisement... apparently not ."
My first thought was 'is it April 1st already?'
I remember reading that the guy associated with them used to shill a lot. Yet they seem to get a lot of 'gosh, wow, isn't it coool' posts in their self-serving marketing threads. So do the T.O.S.sers have very short memories? Or do they check their (alleged) brains in at the door when they enter a thread touting some chrome? And is it a Euro thing?

More
19 Feb 2009 17:18 #21752 by Count Orlok
TheDukester wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are the event cards? What do they do?

More
19 Feb 2009 17:22 #21753 by ChristopherMD
Count Orlok wrote:

TheDukester wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are the event cards? What do they do?

They replace the dice with cards.

Yucatan replaces the cards with tokens.

Its a madhouse! A MADHOUSE!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds