October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2747 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Played the new ToTAN? What do you think?

More
25 Jul 2009 01:10 #36208 by mjl1783
I'm a little disappointed, to be honest. I was really hoping for a definitive version of the game, and while this one may be it, you might not want to throw that WEG version up on eBay just yet.

No Special cards? Seriously, what the fuck? Now there's no interaction or endgame. I guess the rationale behind it is the "take that" cards dragged the game out longer than necessary, but I really think this was a mistake. They should've at least been an option. The quest rules have also been changed, and I'm not sure it's for the better. You still get a Quest card that requires you to go to a specific location and have an encounter, but there are no successful/unsuccessful results in the book of tales. Apparently, you just need to go there and not get knocked off the space during your normal encounter. It's a little unthematic. Lastly, there's only half the number of characters from which to choose in this one. Admittedly, it's a minor gripe, but it still feels like a step backwards.

All that aside, it's still a great game. The Status and Treasure cards are a nice improvement, and I like how you have an encounter even when you draw a City card now. I think anyone who's ever drawn a bunch of those in a row can appreciate that change. Though I personally prefer the look of the old board and cards, I'm sure I'll find myself in the minority on that one. It really is a beautiful set even by today's standards. All in all, I think it's a success, but a qualified one. Maybe I'll change my tune once the extra rules go up.

That's just my take. What do those of you who've played it think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2009 02:12 #36214 by ubarose
I'm not supposed to open my copy until my birthday in September. I was planning on hunting down Sag and twisting his arm into letting me play with his copy, but I might not be able to wait another two weeks.

More
25 Jul 2009 02:45 #36216 by billyz
Extra Rules?

More
25 Jul 2009 08:44 #36223 by mjl1783
Damn, Uba. I was hoping you'd given it a shot already. I was really looking forward to seeing what you thought.

Extra Rules?

Well, I guess they're actually variants. In the WEG version, there was a storytelling game, where players embellish the paragraphs and make sound effects to provide atmosphere. At the end of the encounter, the other players vote on whether to award you more stuff for your good storytelling, or supporting efforts. It sounds pretty silly, but it's totally appropriate for the theme.

The merchant rules for building trade routes, on the other hand, I would like to have seen shipped with the game. You need them to play the solo game.

More
25 Jul 2009 09:58 #36225 by Bullwinkle
So does this mean that the game is not currently soloable out-of-the-box if you don't have a copy of the WEG version?

More
25 Jul 2009 10:41 #36226 by mjl1783
So does this mean that the game is not currently soloable out-of-the-box if you don't have a copy of the WEG version?

Pretty much. You can always just take two characters and play both of them yourself, which is reasonably fun, and I guess the variants from the original are coming. For now, though, no solo play.

More
25 Jul 2009 10:42 #36227 by moofrank
In general, the game in the new box is the game we played. Multiple statuses, no frills. Special cards rarely seemed to be useful, because movement is so slow.

All is good, although:
1. The board isn't as pretty as the original.
2. Moving D S and W tracks onto the board actually seems to make them harder to deal with.
3. In my copy, ink from the cover of the rules bled onto the box cover. Methinks somebody packed them a wee bit too early.
4. No sailing around India.
5. Sex Changed (as written) is a death sentence.

Those last two are the only entries I've found that could constitute errata so far. Everything else is just so well done.

There are a lot of small things that haven't been mentioned.
1. Having a sheet with Matrix responses is great.
2. The Pursued Status is brilliant.
3. The City card tables seem to have been reworked and are more interesting--leading to more rare "pictured" encounters.
4. Quests are better with actual theme and less bumbling around for a Q:S.(hint to Zev--More Quest cards as a promo).
5. The new paragraphs seem to have more die rolling and choices.

So, yeah, I might have a WEG copy to sell if there is still a market for it.

More
25 Jul 2009 11:45 #36229 by Sagrilarus
I actually read the entire rulebook since I had never played the original. At the end of page 15 is the following text:

There are more ways to play!

Go to the Z-Man Games Web site at

www.zmangames.com

for more optional rules such as the Storyteller Variant, the Solitaire Variant, and the Merchant Variant!

So naturally you can just tool over to the web site and . . . find nothing. Whatever was supposed to be available is not up on the page for Tales in spite of a slot for where it goes entitled Downloads & Extras. That's what happens when you hire a junior grade webmaster.

Ok, with one game in, I can't speak with much authority. But I recall bumping into a "drop one status" at least once in our short play, and maybe twice. Would that not clear the gender change? Did I just get lucky as hell bumping into those?

Sag.

More
25 Jul 2009 12:09 #36233 by ubarose
Sagrilarus wrote:

Ok, with one game in, I can't speak with much authority. But I recall bumping into a "drop one status" at least once in our short play, and maybe twice. Would that not clear the gender change? Did I just get lucky as hell bumping into those?

Sag.

I remember that losing sex-changed via an encounter was really difficult. You had to get a Quest Success result from an encounter with magical dudes. I'm kind of speaking through my hat here by providing second hand information, however I heard that since Z-man changed the way quests are done, Quest Success with magical dudes were changed to "drop one status." So it seems to me that the chances of getting rid of sexed-changed this way should be about the same in both the old and new versions.

It appears to me that the rule from the original game that is missing is that you can lose sex-changed by landing on another player who has the Major Magic skill, and pay him to remove the curse by giving him a wealth level. I think it would be pretty easy to just use this rule in the new game if you wanted to, and as Frank said, it may show up in errata eventually. However, losing the status this way is also difficult, and not even an option if no one else playing had Major Magic.

We always played that you had a maximum of 3 statuses and the oldest dropped off when you received a fourth. That was the way we usually lost the sex-changed status.

More
25 Jul 2009 12:20 #36234 by ZMan
Answering several posts:

The solo variant and storytelling variant will most likely remain unchanged from the WE edition. I am trying something out with Merchant but because this took so long to get done I had no time to develop the merchant aspect.

I dropped the special cards because it seemed tacked on - there were only a few of them. So either you go full out or you don't. I opted for 'don't'. That being said I am trying to develop a special PvP matrix depending on what skills you have. Let's see if I can complete it.

I'm surprised not many have encountered the reward to drop a Status as Sag mentions. I know there are many of them - I think at least 40. There were more but I dropped some at the last minute cause it seemed to much. Then again, play with the one status only rule.

Not sure what is meant by no endgame - I think the rule is still the same - go to Baghdad and declare your win and everyone has one turn to do the same.

More quest cards - man, those are hard to come up with. Why do you think we got such an odd number like 19!? But I like the promo idea: if other can come up with quest ideas I'd take a look at them and consider a promo card or deck of them.

We were also considering, for a short time, giving each character a special ability. But that did not work out. But we chose to go with the most popular of characters - that and the one time thought of using minis, was the deciding factor to stick with 6 characters (and also the fact that it was for 6 players, it seemed irrelevant to have more characters if they did not do anything special).

There you go.

More
25 Jul 2009 17:35 #36240 by Sagrilarus
Zev,

Do you have a WAG on when the two completed add-on rule sets will be available for download?

More
25 Jul 2009 20:28 #36245 by ZMan
If all goes well, I will have the storytelling and solo variants up this week. They will be virtually unchanged from the 2nd edition - the one used to make the German edition. But I believe it means that the rules were also in the first edition.

I am expanding a bit on the PvP stuff. I might have it up this week too. Basically it allows you to use your skills on other players in your space - for good or ill. Not a huge amount of stuff but some thematic kind of things. It's probably a 2 page document at most.

The merchant rules will be the hardest as they take a different approach from the original game and should be tested.

More
26 Jul 2009 00:01 #36248 by mjl1783
I am expanding a bit on the PvP stuff. I might have it up this week too. Basically it allows you to use your skills on other players in your space - for good or ill. Not a huge amount of stuff but some thematic kind of things. It's probably a 2 page document at most.

Can't wait. I'm anxious for the other stuff as well. I thought you needed the Merchant rules to play solo, though. At least that's what it says in the old rulebook.

Also, what's up with Kings & Things? Are you still doing it or what?

More
26 Jul 2009 11:51 #36259 by Matt Thrower
I'm still on the fence about this, so I'd really be interested to see these variants - some PvP possibility and a solo option especially. Any future expansions that increase player interaction would also increase the chances of my buying.

More
26 Jul 2009 12:52 #36263 by ZMan
Again, the solo rules are like half a page long and taken from the 2nd edition document. It's no major rule revamping and I'm sure you can figure it out yourselves and can even possibly homebrew a version more suited to your own tastes.

You do not need the merchant rules to play solo - I think it said you can play using the merchant rules to play solo. In any case, I do not see why you can't play without the merchant rules.

As for PvP: again, it is no great shakes - you basically can use your skills on another player when on the same space at the end of your turn. Most effects benefit you, but the other player can also pay you to have you do something for him. Most notably, using your magic skill to remove a negative status.

I doubt we will further expand on the PvP because this game is not made that way.

As for Kings and Things - so far I am still on board but I am not heading that production - it is my German partner doing it: I'm just going along for the ride.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds