October 09, 2023
2594 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2789 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Descent: Sea of Blood

More
02 Sep 2009 17:53 #40198 by metalface13
FFG has its first Descent: Sea of Blood preview up fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=769

Promo figure in the box of the first run (oh no! how will my life be complete without one!), uses all previous expansions (hello, Tomb of Ice!) but is not compatible with Road to Legend.

Seeing as how Descent collects enough dust on my shelf, I'll have to decline this one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2009 17:58 #40199 by Michael Barnes
Not compatible with RTL? That's a bad move. It should definitely be playable without it, but most serious DESCENT players are playing RTL, or are in the middle of standing RTL campaigns at this point.

Promo figure? Bah. Who cares.

I dunno, it takes the game into a new area, which is good, but I think a better expansion would have been one that carries forward the ideas from RTL. Or one that offers options for some shorter, faster paced scenarios. They've got a great _system_ going, there's a lot that can be done with it. But it does need to continue to build, not go off on tangents.

More
02 Sep 2009 18:02 #40200 by metalface13
I'm wondering how many people have played through enough Road to Legend campaigns that they feel like they need something fresh? I haven't even been through more than 3 dungeons in an RTL campaign.

More
02 Sep 2009 18:32 #40201 by Space Ghost
It seems pretty compatible to me -- I don't understand how they are using the word "compatible". The dungeons in RtL can be used with or interchanged with Sea of Blood. The Avatars and Lts. can also be used interchangeably. I only take it to mean that Sea of Blood is one campaign "world" while Road to Legend is another setting. Kind of like what Runebound did with its expansions.

I have played through RtL 2x and look forward to Sea of Blood. One full time through RtL gets exposure to almost all of the dungeons.

In the future, I wish they would release just some big dungeon expansions. Maybe 100 or 200 new dungeons that can be used with RtL, and apparently now, Sea of Blood.

More
02 Sep 2009 19:35 #40206 by Stonecutter
Space Ghost wrote:

It seems pretty compatible to me -- I don't understand how they are using the word "compatible". The dungeons in RtL can be used with or interchanged with Sea of Blood. The Avatars and Lts. can also be used interchangeably. I only take it to mean that Sea of Blood is one campaign "world" while Road to Legend is another setting. Kind of like what Runebound did with its expansions.

I have played through RtL 2x and look forward to Sea of Blood. One full time through RtL gets exposure to almost all of the dungeons.

In the future, I wish they would release just some big dungeon expansions. Maybe 100 or 200 new dungeons that can be used with RtL, and apparently now, Sea of Blood.

Isn't that what the Quest Compendium is?

More
02 Sep 2009 19:41 #40207 by Space Ghost
I don't think so. I think the quest compendium is more for Standard Descent, with 16 regular quests -- which are a little different then the RtL quests.

More
02 Sep 2009 19:51 - 02 Sep 2009 20:37 #40210 by Mr Skeletor
Space Ghost wrote:

The Avatars and Lts. can also be used interchangeably.

You sure about that? If so they must give you new locations for the avatars to live in.

I only take it to mean that Sea of Blood is one campaign "world" while Road to Legend is another setting. Kind of like what Runebound did with its expansions.

That's how I take it. The components are interchangeable (such as the dungeons) but the actual overland map bit isn't, which is fair enough.

Overall though I can't say I am that excited about it. Since they don't require you to have RTL already half the budget is going to be on repeat content from RTL, like the monster cards and holding boxes.
Also from the example it looks like it doesn't intergrate the expansions properly - just like RTL. Yeah, you have options C & D (and now maybe E) but all the leader monsters are going to be from the base game again, as well as overland encounters and stuff. I'm sick of those guys! The irony is if you proxy the minis (or if they just gave a sheet of counters to use as stand ins for those who have it) you DON'T need the expansions to use the newer monsters since you get their stat cards in this expansion (except for maybe the Tomb of Ice ones since they came in TOI).

The bonus figure is Nanok - I already have him but I'm glad they are making him more widely available - though he will still be limited :/. Anyway he is a cool hero worth having.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2009 20:37 by Mr Skeletor.

More
02 Sep 2009 20:25 #40219 by Space Ghost
I might be wrong about the Avatars and specific Lts. (I thought I read that somewhere, but who the hell knows). I assume all the "farrows" and what not make the transition.

More
02 Sep 2009 20:39 #40221 by Mr Skeletor
Space Ghost wrote:

I might be wrong about the Avatars and specific Lts. (I thought I read that somewhere, but who the hell knows). I assume all the "farrows" and what not make the transition.

Well even if not it wont take much effort to house rule them over.
Then again if im playing a pirate-y adventure I'd probably prefer to have a sea based avatar.

More
02 Sep 2009 22:15 #40223 by kookoobah
Replied by kookoobah on topic Re:Descent: Sea of Blood
Mr Skeletor wrote:

The bonus figure is Nanok - I already have him but I'm glad they are making him more widely available - though he will still be limited :/. Anyway he is a cool hero worth having.

I think you mean Nara, Nanok was a hero in WoD.

I don't really have anybody to play an RtL style campaign with, but this looks like a cool expansion. A lot of wasted cardboard though since I already have RtL.

More
02 Sep 2009 22:48 #40225 by Mr Skeletor
kookoobah wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

I think you mean Nara, Nanok was a hero in WoD.

I don't really have anybody to play an RtL style campaign with, but this looks like a cool expansion. A lot of wasted cardboard though since I already have RtL.

Of course I did. I just wanted to see who was paying attention.

More
03 Sep 2009 09:11 #40241 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:Descent: Sea of Blood
kookoobah wrote:

but this looks like a cool expansion. A lot of wasted cardboard though since I already have RtL.

The problem is that they can't really make an expansion to another expansion, only to the base game.

More
03 Sep 2009 12:34 #40273 by shryke
Replied by shryke on topic Re:Descent: Sea of Blood
They should just make RtL/SoB booster packs for each other type of expansion. A few cards and what not to integrate the other expansions into the game.

More
03 Sep 2009 13:43 #40280 by metalface13
shryke wrote:

They should just make RtL/SoB booster packs for each other type of expansion. A few cards and what not to integrate the other expansions into the game.

I agree, I've been saying for years that Descent should get some small expansions like Runebound's.

More
04 Sep 2009 07:30 #40402 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Descent: Sea of Blood
I'm hopelessely addicted to Descent.

I have a feeling this will be a better campaign then Road to Legend since they may have possibly has some time to work at the kinks and see what worked and what didn't work in that Expansion.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds