October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Memoir '44 is pissing me off

More
26 May 2008 15:48 #7092 by ubarose
[OCD_meltdown]Now that we have the Air Pack, I'm trying to pack the game up in some kind of sensible way so they we don't have to pull out four boxes whenever we want to play, but it is f-ing impossible. The cards are just a hair longer than standard size, so they won't fit into any of my card boxes.[/OCD_meltdown]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2008 15:52 #7093 by metalface13
Didn't you see this? http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/bag/

You think storing Memoir 44 is rough? What about Descent? My Descent box is bulging like it's full of botchulism.

More
26 May 2008 16:31 #7094 by vialiy
Ah, the *storage* pisses you off... I thought we would have a nice topic here :P

More
26 May 2008 18:20 #7095 by Mr Skeletor
Nice looking bag, but you still need to store shit in the boxes so it is useless.

More
26 May 2008 18:38 #7096 by ubarose
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Nice looking bag, but you still need to store shit in the boxes so it is useless.

$40 worth of uselessness. I just want to be able to fit the summary cards into a box with the base set.

Also, the game itself does piss me off, but in a that good way which indicates that I care about what's happening in the game and I'm not bored. I hate it when my little army men die. It's tragic.

Just this weekend I tried to explain to someone that the reason I didn't care to play Puerto Rico wasn't because the game was too difficult. It was because I wasn't able to feel emotionally invested in selling coffee.

More
26 May 2008 18:50 #7098 by vialiy
Interesting, because it's precisely why I hate this game. It's a pointless exercice in plastic pushing. I don't feel there's a war going on, or that my soldiers are doing anything remotely interesting or meaningful. The system could have been nice, but they've put so much arbitrariness in it that I can't feel any emotional connexion to it.

More
27 May 2008 01:54 #7102 by bobby_5150
ubarose wrote:

[OCD_meltdown]Now that we have the Air Pack, I'm trying to pack the game up in some kind of sensible way so they we don't have to pull out four boxes whenever we want to play, but it is f-ing impossible. The cards are just a hair longer than standard size, so they won't fit into any of my card boxes.[/OCD_meltdown]

Check out what this guy did for his M44 collection.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/302076

More
27 May 2008 22:05 #7171 by ubarose
vialiy wrote:

Interesting, because it's precisely why I hate this game. It's a pointless exercice in plastic pushing. I don't feel there's a war going on, or that my soldiers are doing anything remotely interesting or meaningful. The system could have been nice, but they've put so much arbitrariness in it that I can't feel any emotional connexion to it.

I don't know much about military history or military strategy. Most of what I do know comes from listening to the stories told by vets at the Sr. Center where I volunteered when I was in high school. All the stories had one of two punch lines: FUBAR or SNAFU. What I took away from this was that a lot of what they did seemed pointless and arbitrary. Everything was chaotic and nothing ever worked the way it was supposed to. So that's my context for Memoir '44.

More
27 May 2008 22:42 #7172 by mikelawson
Yeah, when I play M'44, it's not for historical accuracy. It's to have fun for a while, pushing army men around and wondering how in hell my son is able to have the right card for him at the right time. I swear there must be a mirror behind me showing all of my cards...

--Mike L.

More
27 May 2008 22:53 #7173 by hancock.tom
Memoir drove me crazy- the lack of battle back was just too awesome.

Grunt: "Sir, we are being fired upon. May we return fire?"
Officer: "No, you worthless grunt. We don't have firing orders for that flank yet. According to BGG, the card mix should work itself out."
Grunt: [screams in pain as he is shot and killed]

C&C:A is a better game and battlelore is more kid friendly.

More
27 May 2008 23:02 #7174 by vialiy
I did not claim it lacked historical or military accuracy. I could live with that. I just feel that most of the action and mechanisms don't make any sense. Why did they split the board in three? Why do units keep their full power when reduced? Why can't you fire back when some mad horde is obviously charging your position? WHY???

And PLEASE don't tell me it's "fog of war", that's bullshit. If this is FoW then drawing for turn order in Pillars of the Earth is also FoW.

More
27 May 2008 23:42 #7182 by ubarose
vialiy wrote:

Why did they split the board in three? Why do units keep their full power when reduced? Why can't you fire back when some mad horde is obviously charging your position? WHY???

Oh, shit, now I'm going to be thinking, "Why is the board split in three?" You bastard.

More
28 May 2008 00:06 #7183 by Lagduf
Memoir hates just need to get C&C:A and then let all those still playing Memoir play their game (even if C and C: A is better :D).

More
28 May 2008 13:07 #7216 by vialiy
Bah, played C&C:A once, didn't see much of a difference. I admit it was a bit more satisfying. The scenarion had no terrain though, that would have been too much fun.

More
28 May 2008 13:14 #7217 by mikelawson
You know, Battlelore isn't as kid friendly as you think. My son likes Battle Cry and M'44 more than Battlelore, even though Battlelore has the cool monsters and stuff.

Sure, battleback is a good idea, but he just isn't that into things yet.

--Mike L.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds