October 09, 2023
2651 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2834 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

The Best War Game of 2008 is?

More
07 Dec 2008 12:02 #15014 by KingPut
Actually, I need a lot of help here.

When I was kid owned and played 3rd Reich, Civil War Battles and Midway. But I haven't played war games in 30 years, however, little by little I'm getting back it into war games.

Step #1. I played and loved War of the Ring for the first time this year (ok War of the Ring is more Ameritrash than a war game) but that was my first baby step down the slippery slope to being a 50 year old fat cranky Grognard.

Step #2. I played Manoeuvre and Napoleon's Triumph this year

Step #3. I bought or traded for War of the Ring, Twilight Struggle, Manoeuvre and Warriors of God.

One Step backwards. I traded Manoeuvre to Jack Hoolgan for his Fury of Dracula with painted minis.

Best Two Player Hard Core War Game of 2008? __________

Best Card Driven War Game of 2008? ___________

Best Multi-player War Game of 2008? ___________

Best Beer and Pretzel War Game of 2008? Manoeuvre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2008 12:32 #15017 by Michael Barnes
This is actually tough category...my picks are all very, very close. CONFLICT OF HEROES, WARRIORS OF GOD, NAPOLEON'S TRIUMPH, MANOEUVRE, HOLD THE LINE, and ESPANA 1936 are all very, very close. Very, very close. It's hard not to just hand it to NT, but everything else in this category was so good.

I didn't do nearly as much wargaming this year as I thought I was going to get to...I guess that's probably what everybody would say though.

Believe it or not, I may wind up handing it off to MANOEUVRE...the game is just great, it came out of nowhere and it's one of the most playable and fun wargames in a long time. It's total B&P, but it actually has some pretty reasonable wargames flavor.

CONFLICT OF HEROES is so damn good...the only thing is that it doesn't feel like it has enough of a distinguishing feature to set it apart from ASLSK, ToI, or COMBAT COMMANDER.

WARRIORS OF GOD is pretty awesome too...but I do think it's a little long for what the level of depth.

I dunno man, this one's hard. A couple of great games but nothing that just says "yes, I am the best game of 2008"..

More
07 Dec 2008 12:50 - 07 Dec 2008 12:53 #15018 by Gary Sax
I didn't play much this year. I also didn't buy many games at all this year. I don't really have any game groups these days. I'm getting BSG for the holidays so maybe that will be it.

For wargames, I'd say FAB:Bulge outdueled Clash of Monarchs for game fo the year for me. So best wargame is FAB:Bulge. Overall game may be that too, until I play BSG, then we'll see.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2008 12:53 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Dec 2008 13:14 #15019 by Harkonnen13
KingPut wrote:

2p "hard core": The Devil's Cauldron. One half of Market Garden, small scenarios, medium scenarios, large scenarios, and big-ass campaigns. Great unit activation system, overall very user friendly rules for a monstergame, high quality components. Also currently OOP and expensive.

Card Driven: I don't play CDGs. Closest game in that category that I like would be Manoeuvre though that's more of a strategy boardgame.

Multi-player: Conflict of Heroes is better 2p but still fun with 4 (I wouldn't recommend it with 3).

Beer & Pretzels? Corps Command: Totensonntag

More
07 Dec 2008 17:34 #15023 by Lagduf
For some reason I feel drawn towards The Devil's Cauldron.

It just looks like a helluva lot of fun.

I may eventually have to get a title in the new Grand Tactical Series.

More
07 Dec 2008 18:11 #15024 by Harkonnen13
Lagduf wrote:

No Question of Surrender will be a lower cost entry point. I think MMP might reprint TDC eventually, might be worth waiting for if you're thinking about buying it.

More
07 Dec 2008 18:18 #15025 by metalface13
Beer & Pretzels wargame sounds a bit of an oxymoron

More
07 Dec 2008 18:32 #15028 by Michael Barnes
Shit, that's one I left out- WORLD AT WAR: EISENBACH GAP...that was a damn good one too. Still don't have the expansion, but I'd like to get it. Hell, I'd like to play WAW more out of the box.

More
07 Dec 2008 22:03 #15032 by Bulwyf
KingPut wrote:

For me that has to be World at War: Eisenbach Gap. As a child of the 70's and 80's I grew up in a time where we still thought the Commies were out to get us. (Red Dawn: The Musical is one of my favorites!) This game is a ton of fun and uses clever mechanics to differentiate the units rather than a thick chrome laden rulebook.

Seriously the first time I played this I had flashbacks to the joy I experienced as a kid playing Ogre. Afterwards I ordered the expansion featuring the West German Budeswher and pre-ordered the second game in the series that will add the BAOR (British Army of the Rhine)

Succesors 3rd ed. Yeah its a reprint and update of an older AH title but it's still kickass. I need to get some pbem games going once they get a CyberBoard module up for it.

Successors 3rd ed

Can't really argue with that one. It's also my sleeper hit for 2008

There's a lot more good stuff out there that I would have loved to try (Case Blue, Devil's Cauldron, Clash of Monarchs, etc). This is just the stuff that I actually got to play.

-Will

More
07 Dec 2008 23:18 #15035 by Michael Barnes
I'm really surprised MANOEUVRE is tracking so high with so many people...it was the one game this year that I think really came out of nowhere. Last week Billy Motion and I played a game of TITAN (his first) and he said "I kind of would rather have played MANOEUVRE again". Crazy.

Horger's next game could be the one that really "breaks" him as a designer to watch...

More
07 Dec 2008 23:20 #15036 by Gary Sax
Right, but what will it be? His other P500 got axed. OTOH I'm not sure a hardcore wargame company like GMT is really the best place for him.

More
07 Dec 2008 23:52 - 07 Dec 2008 23:59 #15037 by Harkonnen13
WaW:E: I didn't post it because "2p hard core war game" doesn't describe it. I'm not really sure what that meant but I assumed that translated to a big conflict simulation and nothing near a light wargame, which is what WaW is. There wasn't any room for WaW:E going by the OPs criteria as far as I could tell. It's the best wargame I've played in a long time and my current favorite, I've completed 28 games. Conflict of Heroes is flipping my switch in a big way too and might topple Lock n Load as my WWII squad-level game of choice.

metalface is right, beer and pretzels wargame is an oxymoron.

Manoeuvre is a strange kind of phenomenon I guess, I hate games like that. It ended up being a super fun boardgame though. The shiny has worn off on me a little but it's still good.

KingPut: If you want better recommendations list what wars/fronts/battles you like, what scale you like (squads, platoons, battalions, corps, whatever), and approx. how much complexity you think you can handle. Why limit yourself to 2008 games?
Last edit: 07 Dec 2008 23:59 by Harkonnen13.

More
08 Dec 2008 00:38 #15042 by Lagduf
Harkonnen13 wrote:

Lagduf wrote:

No Question of Surrender will be a lower cost entry point. I think MMP might reprint TDC eventually, might be worth waiting for if you're thinking about buying it.

I'm definitely going to start with one of the cheaper games in the series once it comes out.

More
08 Dec 2008 00:40 #15043 by dan daly
Beer and Pretzels War Game is an oxymoron??

You've got to be kidding me.

What do you think the Milton Bradley Gamemaster Series is?

Axis and Allies
Fortress America
Shogun/Samurai Swords
Conquest of the Empire

Or just about anything from Eagle games and lots of stuff from Fantasy Flight. Basically, most of the wargames think of when they think of Ameritrash, I'd put down as beer and pretzels wargames, at least how I've always understood the term.

More
08 Dec 2008 02:32 #15045 by moss_icon
My picks are Conflict of Heroes and Storm over Stalingrad. Mr. Barnes earlier comment about Warriors of God is spot on, it's an hour too long, but a very good game for the first 75% of the time you spend on it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds