October 09, 2023
2628 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2819 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

The Napoleonic Wars - Coming to a Mailbox Near You

More
02 Aug 2008 09:26 #9433 by mikelawson
To balance out the weeping and gnashing of teeth about Here I Stand, TNW 2.0 has just been released and is being distributed to P500 people.

--Mike L.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2008 11:11 #9434 by jur
I have edition 1.0 wit the 1.2 rules. What's new?

More
02 Aug 2008 13:07 #9435 by Gary Sax
You know, I've never played it. What's the opinion around here on it?

More
02 Aug 2008 15:39 #9437 by Michael Barnes
I got one this week, I P500'ed it a while back when it was OOP.

It looks pretty good- less complex than HiS, but still not exactly simple. There's more of a fluid diplomatic element to it all. I'm afraid it's going to have that same barrier to entry that a lot of "serious" multiplayer wargames have- finding four other people interested enough in committing to learn it and play a couple of times to get the most out of it.

As to what's different in the 2nd edition, I'm not sure. I believe there's some different cards, some new player setup mats, and of course a ton of fixed errata and modifications.

More
02 Aug 2008 17:23 #9438 by moss_icon
Another game I'd love to play, if only enough people had good taste in games...

More
02 Aug 2008 17:57 #9440 by Count Orlok
This was really popular at the game club I used to go to. So popular in fact, that the guys who played it almost every week had every card memorized and optimized. I never actually played it with them for this very reason, because it would have sucked massively.

The group I play with these days (a smaller, private group) has told me that the game is actually terrible. They're all wargamers and ATers, but it may be because of the obsession at the old club.

They do love a good game of Here I Stand though...

More
03 Aug 2008 10:10 #9456 by mikelawson
Well, I don't know that the differences are, since I've never played the original version. This was designed by Mark MacLaughlin -the guy who designed War and Peace (AH)- as a CDG version of WaP. I myself am looking forward to trying it.

--Mike L.

More
03 Aug 2008 11:09 #9458 by TedTorgerson
I got mine. Let's have a PbEM.

More
03 Aug 2008 21:37 #9464 by mikelawson
TedTorgerson wrote:

I got mine. Let's have a PbEM.

If you guys can wait a couple of weeks, I'll be in. I'm going to be out most of this week on vacation, and half of next week to the annual trip to the Kentucky State Fair.

--Mike L.

More
08 Jul 2009 17:20 #34168 by Almalik
Any updated comments on this? I am looking at either this or Clash of Monarchs as a possible purchase.

More
08 Jul 2009 17:22 #34169 by Gary Sax
COM is really, awesome. Way more complex than TNW, though.

More
08 Jul 2009 17:34 #34173 by Almalik
So that's a vote for CoM over Napoleonic Wars then. How is CoM compared to Here I stand and Paths of Glory?

I was initially looking at Napoleon's Triumph, but have never really gotten into playing just one battle. I'd rather do the whole war, which was why I started looking at NW.

More
09 Jul 2009 09:39 #34230 by Gary Sax
COM is about the same as those, perhaps a little more complex, IMHO. It's very procedural, something that Here I Stand and POG aren't. Once you learn the procedure, I find turns go very quickly. It also isn't very card gamey at all, I never felt like I was trying to get a particular card sequence going or wait for just the right card. All the action is happening on the board.

The end of the year turns take a long time and require some amount of accounting too, but on the other hand if you play a 2 year scenario it isn't a big deal, you do it only once or twice.

All that said, I've played it probably 6 times PBEM and never ftf. I can see it being more difficult to manage all the chits on a the real board.

More
10 Jul 2009 04:29 #34400 by Dogmatix
Gary Sax wrote:

COM is about the same as those, perhaps a little more complex, IMHO. It's very procedural, something that Here I Stand and POG aren't. Once you learn the procedure, I find turns go very quickly. It also isn't very card gamey at all, I never felt like I was trying to get a particular card sequence going or wait for just the right card. All the action is happening on the board.

The end of the year turns take a long time and require some amount of accounting too, but on the other hand if you play a 2 year scenario it isn't a big deal, you do it only once or twice.

All that said, I've played it probably 6 times PBEM and never ftf. I can see it being more difficult to manage all the chits on a the real board.

Speaking of which, you up for some PBEM of this one (or anything else)? My Successors game recently ended and, in addition to being nearly complete, I'm *hideously* out of contention in my current game of Here I Stand, so I'd like to get another game of somethin' going...

More
10 Jul 2009 09:20 #34415 by JoelCFC25
I see you omitted the fact that you're on the verge of liberating Europe from the Huns in our Paths of Glory game...I must not be offering much resistance, huh. ;)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds